VLC doesn't show as "VLC source" to make an MP3 playlist?

DavidJB

I am a newbie here so maybe I'm missing something?
It appears that when I attempt to make/add an MP3 playlist to a scene's sources "VLC video source" is an option but not "VLC source" and even when I create and save a music playlist in VLC, OBS doesn't "see" that extension? I've seen other discussions where all kinds of advice was offered implying that it's possible, but none of that worked for the folks inquiring, including myself. I saw that it is supposed to work in Streamlabs OBS [hope it's okay to mention other versions here?] So I did download it to try it and it does work just as I was being told it should in OBS. I don't like Streamlabs much and would prefer to stick with OBS!
I have the new OBS 26 version, 64 bit and I have the new VLC version. Have rebooted a lot and still no joy??
I can edit my MP3s into a long single file as a work around, but I was also looking forward to shuffling randomly like the slide show works. Sure hope someone holds the secret key to this problem. I'm all ears! Thanks.

mcoirad

I am not able to get MP3 files to play from the VLC video source. I just get a blank screen with no audio output in the VLC video source.
But VLC source doesn't show up. Only VLC video source. Won't allow MP3 play list.
Is there supposed to be some other "VLC Source" for audio that isn't showing up? I had assumed the VLC video source would work for audio files and would maybe show the cd covers or something.

Edit: right after posting this i realized by clicking "Always play even when not visible allows audio files to pla"

ivk

Installed VLC 3.0.12, restarted OBS,26.1.1, but no VLC Source appeared. Any recommendaton? (Windows 7)

FerretBomb

Installed VLC 3.0.12, restarted OBS,26.1.1, but no VLC Source appeared. Any recommendaton? (Windows 7)
Check the logfile, see if VLC was detected to confirm if it was installed to the right location.
Beyond that, Win7 is end-of-life, we cannot provide any support for it here other than to advise upgrading to Win8.1 or Win10.

Reactions: ivk

Sukiyucky

Music playback of MP3s works fine for me. VLC Video Source is the correct OBS source name If it doesn't work for you from the start, you may need to restart your audio interface and then restart OBS. This didn't work at the start for me, only when I restarted both.

1611573405312.png

Attachments

• 1611573271654.png
    1611573271654.png
    74.9 KB · Views: 27

ivk

Check the logfile, see if VLC was detected to confirm if it was installed to the right location.
Beyond that, Win7 is end-of-life, we cannot provide any support for it here other than to advise upgrading to Win8.1 or Win10.
Thank you for your answer. Indeed log file: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled. Though I installed VLC in default directory. The matter is that I'm interested in mp3 audio, so I did not installed VLC video components. Could it be the reason?

FerretBomb

Thank you for your answer. Indeed log file: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled. Though I installed VLC in default directory. The matter is that I'm interested in mp3 audio, so I did not installed VLC video components. Could it be the reason?
That's very likely. OBS needs the complete VLC install to use the correct interconnects, even if you aren't showing video through it.