Question / Help Virtual cam Mac alternative

Smithecard LLC

I need a plugin like Virtual cam that will provide a directshow Output as a virtual webcam that works for mac. I'd like to use the OBS studio feed to teach some classes from home. I don't need to stream but I do need access to the OBS chroma key and scene features. Any suggestions or solutions?

Szyszak

I use Camtwist but I have problem to centralize video. Do you have any idea? I chose same size both in OBS and Camtwist. Please help. I share few photos.
There is OBS
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.28.16.jpg

These are streaming and recording settings
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.29.00.jpg

Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.29.05.jpg

Video settings
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.29.12.jpg

And here's CamTwist problem (same shoot) - i use Syphon.
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.30.35.jpg

Here's also 1280x720 in CamTwist. It's weird. Please help.
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.31.25.jpg

And finally settings of my iphone and internal webcam
Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.31.52.jpg

Zrzut ekranu 2020-04-06 o 13.31.53.jpg

Szyszak

My question is - "What can do to have normal resolution or centralized image on additional camera (iphone)?"
Switching resolution on Python doesn't help. It's still out of frame. It's not fullscreen.

@Fmm My only solution is to add second desktop and share it while switching option from "python" to "desktop" on last but one screen that I shared. But it's not appropriate solution of this problem. It's uncomfortable.

sunda

I used a plugin for this and it worked!!!
Apr-21-2020 01-36-30.gif

tda20300

I used a plugin for this and it worked!!!
View attachment 54385

Hi, would you mind explaining how to add this plugin? sorry but I have read the code but I don't know how to add it to my OBS, I would be very grateful, thank you very much.

Pyr

Many thanks to John Boiles, and tda20300 for the convenient installer package.

Is there any way to send the audio from OBS as well? As of now I only see the OBS Virtual Cam as a video option (resulting in sync issues).

Thank you.

tda20300

I only tested send video from my reflex camera, i used my airpods, hangouts perfec.
it would be nice if the patches that are made to the plugin for future corrections we put them here to update OBS

pti

I used the OBS-Mac-VirtualCam.pkg above. (Thanks to those who packaged that!)

It worked for one case, but not others.

If I choose Tools... Start Virtual Camera, then reopen Microsoft Teams, the "OBS Virtual Camera" appears as an available video source in Teams and I can use it like the real webcam. However, in Zoom, FaceTime, and other apps, I don't get the option for the "OBS Virtual Camera."

Any ideas how to get the virtual camera to appear in other apps?

pti

thanks for sharing... but for some reason, after updating OBS, it's not showing the "Start Virtual Cam" option on Tools anymore... :/
If I understand what is going on correctly, the OBS-Mac-VirtualCam.pkg is a package assembled by a kind person from one particular OBS build, to which the VirtualCam patch was applied. This saves each of us from going to Github and having to perform magic incantations.

If you upgrade OBS after installing that patched OBS package, you will have an unpatched (i.e., no VirtualCam) OBS.

I am avoiding upgrades for now to maintain VirtualCam function. If the kind folk assemble an installer with a new version of OBS with VirtualCam, I will upgrade then.

Hopefully, VirtualCam functionality becomes native shortly and the patching process will no longer be required.

joex92

If I understand what is going on correctly, the OBS-Mac-VirtualCam.pkg is a package assembled by a kind person from one particular OBS build, to which the VirtualCam patch was applied. This saves each of us from going to Github and having to perform magic incantations.

If you upgrade OBS after installing that patched OBS package, you will have an unpatched (i.e., no VirtualCam) OBS.

I am avoiding upgrades for now to maintain VirtualCam function. If the kind folk assemble an installer with a new version of OBS with VirtualCam, I will upgrade then.

Hopefully, VirtualCam functionality becomes native shortly and the patching process will no longer be required.

Well, I got it working again, but I have to use a separate installation of OBS to use it following the building instructions from the original github from that PKG package here: obs-mac-virtualcam

but in the end is not the same installation of OBS, I don't mind that much, but it would be good not having 2 installations of OBS... the good thing is that they share the same configurations and profiles, so I don't have to reconfigure this new installation...

do you have the link to the github page of the person who made that PKG?

tetfsu

::: ATTENTION ZOOM FOR MAC 4.6.9 & NEWER USERS :::
Not sure how many of you reading this are like me and your primary purpose for wanting this is to use OBS with Zoom. You should note that the OBS Virtual Cam won't work with current versions of Zoom (4.6.9 - 5.0.1... at least not for me on macOS Catalina). I had to downgrade to Zoom v. 4.6.7 to get this to work. After a lot of work and reading forum posts here and on github, I was finally able to determine that it was the version of Zoom that kept me from using the OBS virtual cam and not some error in the installation. Hopefully, Zoom will add the ability to use OBS Virtual Camera in an upcoming release. (reference > https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/virtual-web-cam-solution-for-mac.93632/)

Well, I got it working again, but I have to use a separate installation of OBS to use it following the building instructions from the original github from that PKG package here: obs-mac-virtualcam

but in the end is not the same installation of OBS, I don't mind that much, but it would be good not having 2 installations of OBS... the good thing is that they share the same configurations and profiles, so I don't have to reconfigure this new installation...

do you have the link to the github page of the person who made that PKG?

They are working to try and make this part of the main branch of OBS for Mac, but it's not stable enough right now for that.
(reference -> https://github.com/johnboiles/obs-mac-virtualcam/issues/23)

If you use the package that @tda20300 created (THANK YOU @tda20300, BTW!) you are still probably getting most of the function of the current branch with the Virtual Cam included. Maybe the developers who are working on this will get the code tightened up enough to make it part of the main branch soon. If you absolutely need the most up to date version of OBS for some reason then you will still have to follow the build steps and run it from Terminal until then. IMO, the package that @tda20300 created is working fine and I can wait for the plugin to be incorporated into the main branch.

mrichmon

I have installed the Virtual CAM linked from the github issue #23. So far it seems to be working for Skype and Google Hangouts running in Chrome after restarting my Mac laptop.
However, all the video output by the virtual camera is flipped horizontally. This is easy to see when grabbing a browser window as the source. Any suggestions on how to un-flip the video?