Virtual Cam already in use?

swift30

Hello community,

looking for a (real) greenscreen solution I found OBS Studio, current version 26.0.2
Installation was fine, I was able to use both cams (internal laptop + external USB cam) even together in OBS. I want to use the ext. usb cam though.
I set the chroma key and the result was as intended.
So far so good IN the OBS application.

The trouble starts when I start the Virtual Cam.
I want to use the 'OBS Camera', in other applications (Jabber + Webex), but I always get the msg. the cam is already in use!?

When I close OBS and try Jabber e.g. I can access the cam, both the original and the OBS Camera (which then shows the normal video from the usb cam)
If I then start OBS as SECOND application, it won't get access to the usb cam. (because Jabber has access now???)

I uninstalled version 26 and installed 25.0.8 + the Virtual cam => the same behaviour.
Because of this I now uninstalled OBS comletely and installed ManyCam for a test. It doesn't have the chroma key feature in the free version, but I had access to my cams, could add a filter (some funny glasses) and the ManyCam Virtual Cam was available in Jabber/Webex + it works!
I'd like to use OBS though, ManyCam was only a test installation to see if the applications or my system has some strange issue with virtual cams.

I'd be happy for any suggestions...! ;)

Best regards

swift30

try this
Thanks for your replies! Meanwhile I uninstalled OBS, cleaned the registry and installed anew.
Installation of Virtual Cam Filter looks difficult to me, i just want to use OBS, not recompile it... I'm no developer ;)

Could this be a render issue? I wonder why it works instant with ManyCam, but I cannot make the Virtual Cam of OBS work :(
Even if I don't use a cam for video input in OBS, just a picture, and start the Virtual Cam:
- Jabber either shows a black screen or just one of my real cams, not the OBS frame(s)
- Webex msg. is that there is no connection to the Cam

Ah yes, I've now added a 3rd cam (Logitech c922 Pro Stream) just to see if it's a cam issue. It isn't.

swift30

Here is my log, I just started OBS, added a background pic + video source (cam), then started the virtual cam.
Right now it's OBS 26.0.2 again. I again uninstalled it first, deleted the program folder and appdata folder, then installed anew.
I then tried the Virtual Cam in Jabber + Webex. Current situation:
Jabber => just shows the normal video of my source cam
Webex => asks me to check if the cam is connected (doesn't recognize it?)

Ah yes, switching to German would also be no issue as we both speak/are German!

Gelle? ;)

Attachments

• 2020-11-27 11-46-39.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 20

swift30

This is an OBS software issue. I installed Logitech Capture for my c922 Pro Stream, the virtual cam 'Logi Capture' worked instantly with Webex, as did ManyCam. Only the OBS virtual cam isn't recognized.

To your suggestions:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection: this isn't an option as I'd like to use OBS on company computers,
- tried it as admin, also uninstalled it, gave my working user admin rights and installed again => same issue
- update Windows: not an option right now. perhaps in a few days as tester. Though I doubt this will change anything.

As I said, so far only OBS virtual cam doesn't work, both ManyCam and Logi Capture virtual cams worked instantly.
When I try to start the 'OBS Virtual Camera' in Webex while running OBS (Virtual Cam started), I get a msg. that the cam cannot be connected
I plan to test OBS on a private pc with yet another (Logitech) cam, so this would be the 4th cam (2 Logi, 1 cheap usb, 1 laptop), perhapt with MS Teams, to see if the issue is the same...
I'm also going to test OBS on another system with another professional cam in the near future. If this also doesn't work, I'll have to look for an alternative... :(

swift30

I just found out that it's an issue of OBS with the Webex Desktop Client.
If I start Webex using a browser (Chrome), the virtual cam works great!
Unfortunately if you want to host a meeting or even an event (webinar) it must be the client.
As other virtual cams work with the client, I'm wondering where's the difference?

I am having this same issue using GoToMeeting: the OBS virtual camera works great in Zoom, Google Meet, Teams etc - but not in GoTo... Strangely, the virtual cameras in StreamLabsOBS and ManyCam both work fine... I have implemented a (less than ideal) workaround by feeding the output from the OBS VirtualCam into StreamLabsOBS or ManyCam - which works, but is very resource intensive and introduces noticeable lag... It would be great to know if anyone got any further in working out what the difference is between OBS VirtualCam and other virtual cameras. Strangely, the older version of OBS (which used a separate plugin for a virtualcam, rather than it being integrated) worked fine with GoTo and all the other platforms I use - I don't understand what's changed?! Any help would be appreciated - I understand that switching to StreamLabs or ManyCam would solve the problem, but I much prefer OBS and there's some functionality I would really miss if I had to change... Thanks in advance!