Question / Help Videos keep corrupting and are unable to be fast forwarded

Allyski

Every time I record a video, they are not able to be used. The video has no end time, I can't move the dot on the timeline of the video, and the time skipping buttons do nothing. It started with really long videos, but now its happening for videos that are just an hour, sometimes even half of that. I've recorded in MKV, FLV, and Mp4, all which did not solve this issue.

Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/lJfbJ3xSxoePsFg3

FerretBomb

Can you try doing a recording with software x264 and see if the issue persists? With CQP/CRF, you should be able to use Ultrafast to minimize CPU impact while maintaining full quality.
I've seen a number of these kinds of issues lately, and NVENC seems to be a commonality.

If it DOES fix the issue, please make sure to update the thread as I would like to try to establish a more specific common set.

Allyski

Can you try doing a recording with software x264 and see if the issue persists? With CQP/CRF, you should be able to use Ultrafast to minimize CPU impact while maintaining full quality.
I've seen a number of these kinds of issues lately, and NVENC seems to be a commonality.

If it DOES fix the issue, please make sure to update the thread as I would like to try to establish a more specific common set.
After testing around a bit with the suggestion, waht you said seemed to fix the length issue, but tanked my quality of video. Maybe its because I have a pretty poor CPU. I'm going to try and fiddle around with the settings more. Thank you!

FerretBomb

After testing around a bit with the suggestion, waht you said seemed to fix the length issue, but tanked my quality of video. Maybe its because I have a pretty poor CPU. I'm going to try and fiddle around with the settings more. Thank you!
If the quality tanked, you didn't set CQP/CRF as the encoding method (you want to use a value between 16 and 22, lower being higher quality, but larger file sizes). The CPU strength won't matter, if it's able to record at all at x264 Ultrafast with CQP/CRF. It's just when you're using CBR or VBR (which should only be used for livestreaming, not local recording) that dumping to Ultrafast will make the quality crater. CQP/CRF will just throw even more bitrate (so even larger filesizes) at the problem, which isn't an issue when local-recording.

In any case, thanks much for the confirmation. It does look like something is weird with NVENC specifically.