Question / Help Video Freezes After 15-30 Sec and Stays Frozen

NTLDR

Hello everyone. I'm having this bizarre problem where OBS on Linux displays video from my camera, but then the video freezes after 15-30 seconds, and stays frozen. The OBS program itself does not get frozen/unresponsive. Just the video signal.
Here are the steps that lead to it...
[1] I run OBS on my Linux Mint system (Lenovo ThinkPad X270 Laptop). Camera and HDMI capture card already connected.
[2] OBS automatically connects to my capture card, starts displaying video.
[3] I don't do anything else. I let OBS display the video. I don't click on Start Recording or Start Streaming. I leave it alone and it displays the video signal.
[4] Video freezes after about 1/2 a minute (~30 sec). And then stays frozen. Like a still image.
[5] Despite showing a frozen/still image, OBS reports elevated CPU utilization: 6-9%.
Note: This all happens without starting recording/streaming. If I start recording, the video output gets saved with a still picture after mm:ss time.

Things I have already tried:
[1] I repeated above steps on my same ThinkPad X270 Laptop, but on the Windows 7 partition. No problems at all. No freezes. No dropped frames. Video comes out very well in OBS on my Windows partition.
[2] I repeated above steps on a different laptop (Toshiba Satellite C55t) with the same Linux Mint OS. No problems. No freezes. Laptop had lower HW specs, but video kept going.

Log file from OBS on my Linux System: https://obsproject.com/logs/3V2YQmirawXxJjzb
What's strange from the log file is that only 1 second is recorded. OBS didn't log after that 1 second. Maybe etiology is in V4L2?

My Hardware Setup:
PC:
Lenovo ThinkPad X270 Laptop with a Core i5-7300U CPU @ 2.60GHz and with 16 GB RAM
Capture Device: Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus (it's new, I purchased it a couple weeks ago)
Camera: Canon VIXIA HF R80
I have the camera connected to capture device via HDMI. And capture device to PC is a USB3 connection.

I would greatly appreciate any help and will make a small donation to the OBS project. :-) Thanks.

NTLDR

I was checking other places in the forum and I decided to use the qv4l2 GUI utility for diagnostics.

Here is the output (sound disconnected):
Bash:
username@PC7A-LX415-X270:~$ qv4l2
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error

Another terminal output with qv4l2, but with sound enabled this time:
Bash:
username@PC7A-LX415-X270:~$ qv4l2
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
v4l-convert: error short yuyv data frame

error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
error
ALSA lib pcm.c:8306:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

During my other trials/attempts, I would get multiple error messages about buffer underruns and overrruns. Under the presumption that it might be hardware support, I went ahead and updated my kernel (and the v4l2 modules that correspond with it) and I got the same result. Tried to use "emulated" video formats - video still starts then freezes soon after. Finally, I tried video capture at lowest resolution: 640x360 30fps and I got a similar errors, but video took almost 2 minutes to freeze.

So it appears that issues are rooted in V4L2. I understand that it's separate from OBS, but is there anyone out here who can give me some guidance on next steps? Thanks.

hazrpg

Anyone figured out a solution to this? I'm having this issue too. Just got into streaming and currently have limited things to stream since I can't capture any of my physical machines. Same as you guys, even on OBS 25 and 26. Seems to be more of a linux issue than it is OBS I think mind you.