VENTURA

TFE

Streaming on a Mac Studio (base model), which works great with OBS 27.2.4 at 1080p30, four cameras, two more video inputs, total of 18 scenes, yada yada. Have hesitated to update OBS to 28.0.3 until all the plug-ins work, e.g. NDI and Stream Deck. I'm in no rush.

But what about Ventura? Anyone updated, and are you running 27 or 28? Issues? Thanks!

infoXczar

Decided to take the plunge, and first stream with 28.0.3 under Ventura was... eventful. OBS lost all cameras and mics, and they didn't all stick after I manually assigned them. Also OBS crashed hard once while I was assigning a camera to a source. I had lots of video and audio stuttering; things were glass-smooth pre-Ventura. I was suspecting Blackhole at first, but now I'm not entirely certain.

Oh, almost forgot—my built-in camera in my M1 MacBook Pro completely froze once, which has never happened before. It wouldn't unstick even when assigning a video source to a different camera and back again, but it did come back after restarting OBS.

kvzonbr

yesterday updated to ventura using 8.0.3 and capturing screen froze every few minutes
had to re assign the source to get it to work again

infoXczar

yesterday updated to ventura using 8.0.3 and capturing screen froze every few minutes
had to re assign the source to get it to work again
Hmm, that might be related to my first-ever camera freeze, although I couldn't just reassign it to get it back (it unfroze, but the camera just showed up as black until I quit and relaunched OBS).

Robertjm

Streaming on a Mac Studio (base model), which works great with OBS 27.2.4 at 1080p30, four cameras, two more video inputs, total of 18 scenes, yada yada. Have hesitated to update OBS to 28.0.3 until all the plug-ins work, e.g. NDI and Stream Deck. I'm in no rush.

But what about Ventura? Anyone updated, and are you running 27 or 28? Issues? Thanks!
I'm currently running 27.2.4 under macOS Big Sur. Today I woke up and thought to myself, "I should install Ventura today!" But, I did the smart thing and checked if there were any issues with apps I use frequently. OBS is one the main ones, especially with NDI.

I see people talking about crashes and freezes, which makes me pause on the update button. Did you update your macOS? If so, did 27.2.4 work for you, or are you still running BigSur or Catalina?

attaboyBrad

I have a somewhat similar OBS configuration to OPs in terms of sources and hardware.

I'm running Ventura and OBS 28.1 RC1 (which fixes a Virtual Camera issue that prevented me from updating to OBS 28 before).

Stream Deck has been updated for OBS 28. I've had no issues.

'Obs-ndi' plugin over on Github has an artifact that works with OBS 28 too (you can download it at the bottom of this page.). I'm not a heavy NDI user, but it worked well enough to let me stream my iPad into OBS via NDI as I used to do with OBS 27.

The main problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the 'Screen Recording' permission to stick, and after each restart I have to delete 'OBS' under that section before I start OBS and re-grant the permission or OBS will hang on launch. Browsing the forums now trying to find a solution. Not sure it's OBS 28 specific.

Second problem is that my 'MacOS Screen Capture' sources (new source type in OBS 28) don't retain my 'Display' selection after restarts (they're all on my secondary display). That's as likely to be down to Apple as it is OBS. Not certain it's OBS 28 or Ventura specific.

All in all, these are issues I can live with.

TFE

I have a somewhat similar OBS configuration to OPs in terms of sources and hardware.

I'm running Ventura and OBS 28.1 RC1 (which fixes a Virtual Camera issue that prevented me from updating to OBS 28 before).

Stream Deck has been updated for OBS 28. I've had no issues.

'Obs-ndi' plugin over on Github has an artifact that works with OBS 28 too (you can download it at the bottom of this page.). I'm not a heavy NDI user, but it worked well enough to let me stream my iPad into OBS via NDI as I used to do with OBS 27.

The main problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the 'Screen Recording' permission to stick, and after each restart I have to delete 'OBS' under that section before I start OBS and re-grant the permission or OBS will hang on launch. Browsing the forums now trying to find a solution. Not sure it's OBS 28 specific.

Second problem is that my 'MacOS Screen Capture' sources (new source type in OBS 28) don't retain my 'Display' selection after restarts (they're all on my secondary display). That's as likely to be down to Apple as it is OBS. Not certain it's OBS 28 or Ventura specific.

All in all, these are issues I can live with.
Thanks, Brad. Much appreciated. Let's keep in touch and compare notes going forward. —TFE

attaboyBrad

In case anybody else comes along--the 'Screen Recording' permission issue I'm having seems to be limited to launching OBS via Alfred or with a Stream Deck button. When I launch by clicking the app directly under 'Applications', it launches just fine. Seems to confirm it's a MacOS bug of some sort.

Upgraded a Mac Studio to Ventura today on accident and OBE 27.2.0 is still working without issue. I live streamed to OBS for 2 hours and had no issues with dropout, OBS quitting etc. Again - No hiccups at 1080P/60 FPS @ 10,000 KB/s h.264 CPU encoding. Screen capture, blackmagic ultrastudio, camlink 4k - all ok. Permissions did not popup and annoy - it just works.

TFE

Upgraded a Mac Studio to Ventura today on accident and OBE 27.2.0 is still working without issue. I live streamed to OBS for 2 hours and had no issues with dropout, OBS quitting etc. Again - No hiccups at 1080P/60 FPS @ 10,000 KB/s h.264 CPU encoding. Screen capture, blackmagic ultrastudio, camlink 4k - all ok. Permissions did not popup and annoy - it just works.
Thomas, thanks for the input on this. You given me some confidence to go ahead and update to Ventura. But, if I may ask, why are you running OBS 27.2.0 not 27.2.4?

Thomas, thanks for the input on this. You given me some confidence to go ahead and update to Ventura. But, if I may ask, why are you running OBS 27.2.0 not 27.2.4?

I'm running a very stable version of OBS that's compiled for Apple Silicon and has all of the plugins I need for a stable livestream.

Regarding ventura stability, One thing I noticed today, when continuity camera was enabled and my phone was near the mac and auto-connected, although it wasn't in use, it resulted in OBS crashing on a very basic scene. Although I have OBS v28 configured I ran into issues that sent me back to v27.2.0.

colorovfire

I just started running Ventura and OBS v28 and noticed the code signing is bad. It prevented recording from working but the fix is pretty simple. You have to force an adhoc signature.

With OBS in the Applications folder, enter in the terminal:
Bash:
codesign --deep --sign - --force /Applications/OBS.app

After that’s done, remove OBS from the `Screen Recording` section in `Privacy & Security` settings. Next time you launch, it’ll ask you for permissions again. Enable it and let it restart the app.

Where do you report issues? It’s signed after building and it must be configured incorrectly.

attaboyBrad

After that’s done, remove OBS from the `Screen Recording` section in `Privacy & Security` settings. Next time you launch, it’ll ask you for permissions again. Enable it and let it restart the app.
I was having a heck of a time with the 'Screen Recording' permission causing a hang on launch for all versions of OBS v28. It seems to be fixed for the moment after a LOT of permission resets and rebuilding parts of my configuration, but I'll definitely try this if it happens again. Thanks.

If you have a moment to explain, how did you "notice the code signing is bad".

colorovfire

If you have a moment to explain, how did you "notice the code signing is bad".

Because I’ve had problems with other apps when the permissions wouldn’t stick and it was caused by a bad signature. Forcing an adhoc signature always fixed it. It might not even be a bad signature but Ventura is a little more strict about validating apps so, OBS might not be getting a pass here.

attaboyBrad

Because I’ve had problems with other apps when the permissions wouldn’t stick and it was caused by a bad signature. Forcing an adhoc signature always fixed it. It might not even be a bad signature but Ventura is a little more strict about validating apps so, OBS might not be getting a pass here.
Apologies if my question was unclear. The question I meant to ask was "if I have a similar issue in the future, and want to check for a 'bad code signature' myself, is there a simple way I might do so?", but come to think of it I bet this shouldn't be too hard to Google myself.

Thanks for sharing how to force an adhoc signature. I'll keep that in mind.

colorovfire

Apologies if my question was unclear. The question I meant to ask was "if I have a similar issue in the future, and want to check for a 'bad code signature' myself, is there a simple way I might do so?", but come to think of it I bet this shouldn't be too hard to Google myself.

Thanks for sharing how to force an adhoc signature. I'll keep that in mind.

If it’s obviously broken, you can use —verify but it doesn’t catch everything. Permissions not sticking has been a good indicator for bad signatures but I wouldn’t force it straight away. Use only if it’s a persistent problem.

Code:
codesign --verify --verbose --deep /Applications/OBS.app
/Applications/OBS.app: valid on disk
/Applications/OBS.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement

What’s odd is that I tried starting over. Downloaded a fresh copy and it works without the adhoc signature. The command must have triggered something to make it work.

proactivematter

Just upgraded yesterday looking to take advantage of the native audio capture (hate dealing with BlackHole). Unfortunately using the new Screen Capture OBS will cease capturing system (screen) audio after some time (anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes). Restarting the app fixes the issue.

proactivematter

Also, like another poster described, when using the new Screen Capture OBS will loose the "Device" for between multiple monitors. In my case it made the source for my Internal Monitor to capture my external monitor, and for the source that was set to my external it lost the "Device" completely, resulting in an empty capture.

Logs:

20:03:25.353: User switched to scene 'Screen 1'
20:03:27.700: [ mac-screencapture ]: destroy_screen_stream: Failed to stop stream with error (null)

proactivematter

Just upgraded yesterday looking to take advantage of the native audio capture (hate dealing with BlackHole). Unfortunately using the new Screen Capture OBS will cease capturing system (screen) audio after some time (anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes). Restarting the app fixes the issue.

Logs related to this issue, when audio ceases to be captured:

20:05:07.602: coreaudio: device 'Elgato Wave:3' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:07.891: coreaudio: device 'BlackHole 2ch' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:08.267: coreaudio: device 'MacBook Pro Microphone' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:09.608: bmalloc: Allocating 0 bytes is broken behavior, please fix your code! This will crash in future versions of OBS.
20:05:09.963: coreaudio: Device 'BlackHole 2ch' [48000 Hz] initialized
20:05:10.351: coreaudio: Device 'MacBook Pro Microphone' [48000 Hz] initialized
20:05:11.693: coreaudio: Device 'Elgato Wave:3' [96000 Hz] initialized
20:05:28.183: coreaudio: device 'Elgato Wave:3' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:28.499: coreaudio: device 'BlackHole 2ch' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:28.790: coreaudio: device 'MacBook Pro Microphone' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
20:05:30.292: coreaudio: Device 'Elgato Wave:3' [96000 Hz] initialized
20:05:30.562: coreaudio: Device 'BlackHole 2ch' [48000 Hz] initialized
20:05:30.861: coreaudio: Device 'MacBook Pro Microphone' [48000 Hz] initialized

huedoku

Arrived here before upgrading from Monterey 12.6 to Ventura 13.0.1... sounds like most of you aren't having any issues after restarting / tweaking a little bit but I think I'm going to wait just a little longer. Any thoughts now that it's December and you've been on Ventura for a month?