Question / Help Using OBS Studio 64-bit. My hardware is fairly decent and yet getting choppy/laggy videos. Please help!

Complexinq

So I'm playing minecraft and whenever I start recording, it becomes a little choppy in-game, but its not too bad. However, whenever I check the video file after I stop recording, it looks super laggy and I cant seem to find the problem. I have a GTX 1070 Ti with an i7-8700k, and it should be more than enough to support recording minecraft. Whenever I record, I notice that the CPU usage % is usually > than 10%. Not sure if thats normal or not. Log file is below. I'd truly appreciate some help and maybe some possible setting changes.

carlmmii

You're using x264 encoding, which is CPU-based. That CPU load is expected. If you want to offload this to the GPU, choose Nvenc encoding instead.

Your logs show that the recording does not have any missing frames to rendering lag or encoding lag, so from OBS's perspective, the recording is perfect.

However, you are running 2 monitors with different refresh rates. Windows 10 currently has issues handling this (with a fix hopefully coming in the 2004 update). The only known workaround right now is to run all your monitors at the same refresh rate, preferably 60hz to match recording framerate.

Complexinq

You're using x264 encoding, which is CPU-based. That CPU load is expected. If you want to offload this to the GPU, choose Nvenc encoding instead.

Your logs show that the recording does not have any missing frames to rendering lag or encoding lag, so from OBS's perspective, the recording is perfect.

However, you are running 2 monitors with different refresh rates. Windows 10 currently has issues handling this (with a fix hopefully coming in the 2004 update). The only known workaround right now is to run all your monitors at the same refresh rate, preferably 60hz to match recording framerate.

Ah, I see thanks for the reply. Would it also be fine if I just unplugged my second monitor? I want to play on 144hz.

carlmmii

That should work as well, or even just disabling it within the nvidia control panel.

You might be able to get around it by disabling the OBS preview as well, but I don't have personal experience with this, so I can't vouch for this myself.

I will say, I would recommend setting the refresh rate to 120hz if you intend on a high refresh rate, mainly because going from 144fps to 60fps does not divide evenly, and will always produce stuttering to some degree. 120hz is a straight conversion of disregarding every other frame.

Complexinq

Also, whenever I seem to open the OBS application, my game starts to become a little choppy. I disabled the preview but this doesnt seem to help. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

carlmmii

Code:
02:03:33.139: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] init_hook_info: user is forcing shared memory (multi-adapter compatibility mode)
This may be your problem.. not 100% sure. But see if you can use game capture without multi-display compatibility, or try using window capture instead.