[unsupported] Datapath Vision Capture

[unsupported] Datapath Vision Capture 20130903

Muf

Forum Moderator
P4rD0nM3 said:
Time to test this bad boy.

1a128456810c11e2a03b22000a1f92d6_7.jpg
Oh - hey! Nice one :D

Here is a new build that should work with the latest version of OBS: DatapathPlugin-20130228-32R

Draco

Muf,

Not sure what might cause this, but the frames do a bit of a jitter-dance whereas doing a regular source doesn't display this problem. I also might add this happened on test 3 as well as the latest OBS.

http://www.twitch.tv/draco/b/372882096?t=1m15s

The E2S I thought I purchased was actually the E2. Still a good deal... but damn. Would the fact that this is the E2 (latest software/fw) be an issue with the plugin or have I done something horribly wrong? *grin*

Muf

Forum Moderator
Draco said:
Muf,

Not sure what might cause this, but the frames do a bit of a jitter-dance whereas doing a regular source doesn't display this problem. I also might add this happened on test 3 as well as the latest OBS.

http://www.twitch.tv/draco/b/372882096?t=1m15s

That is... Very interesting. I'm almost definitely sure it's your graphics card. Unchecking hardware acceleration would in this case fix your problem, but I haven't been able to reliably implement a run-time toggle for it (that's why it's greyed out). The picture controls are greyed out because I haven't implemented them yet (I've only written the GUI front-end, so changing the values does nothing). What might also do the trick is changing the plugin to use double buffering instead of triple buffering. Eyeballing it, it seems like the frames go forward, forward, backward, so taking out the third buffer could work.

I don't have access to a Vision card right now though (I'm in Hannover for Intel Extreme Masters), so I can't write a fix until next week. If someone has Visual Studio 2012 and the Vision SDK installed, maybe they can compile a version for you with double buffering (change #define NUM_BUFFERS from 3 to 2).

EDIT: Actually, on second thought; if you want to try without hardware acceleration, could you try DatapathPlugin-20130113-32R? It's an old version from before I implemented the DMA copy. You'll have to use it with an old version of OBS though, because old plugins don't work with the latest versions of OBS anymore.

Draco

Sorry, I haven't had success compiling the plugin and I'm completely new to VS2012. Wasn't quite catching on to how to take your project and the OBS project and successfully make (vision sdk path modified and all). Seems it's needing some deps from the OBS project but I wasn't finding the method to having the plugin project reference it.

Either way, I'll wait it out for now. I believe I tried that version before (when I was able to uncheck h/w accel) and it made no difference back then. I forget which version this was though, so if it did anything at all, who knows. :)

P4rD0nM3

Hey Muf, is it possible to just capture a specific executable for this like the OBS default? Sometimes I don't have to capture my alt-tabs.

Muf

Forum Moderator
P4rD0nM3 said:
Hey Muf, is it possible to just capture a specific executable for this like the OBS default? Sometimes I don't have to capture my alt-tabs.
This isn't software capture. A capture card will capture anything output through the DVI/HDMI port. If there are things you don't want to capture, put them on a different monitor.

P4rD0nM3

You're right, I can only capture 1920x1200/60. 2560x1600/60 is not possible. Do you know any cards that will do 2560x1600/60?

Muf

Forum Moderator
P4rD0nM3 said:
You're right, I can only capture 1920x1200/60. 2560x1600/60 is not possible. Do you know any cards that will do 2560x1600/60?
Is the video mode out of range or is it too much bandwidth for 60fps?

Muf

Forum Moderator
Draco said:
I believe I tried that version before (when I was able to uncheck h/w accel) and it made no difference back then. I forget which version this was though, so if it did anything at all, who knows. :)

Could you try DatapathPlugin-20130316-32R ? I've fixed most of the bugs related to turning hardware acceleration on and off, although switching on the fly while streaming/previewing still results in unpredictable behaviour, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

P4rD0nM3 said:
Do you have plans of supporting RGB24?
Yes, along with YUY2. I hope I can use DXVA-HD to convert the format entirely on the GPU so the buffer won't have to touch system memory.

EDIT: I've also done a quick benchmark between DirectShow capture and my plugin. The results:
Code:
              DirectShow   Vision Soft. Vision DMA
DirectShow    x            17% slower   33% slower
Vision Soft.  17% faster   x            14% slower
Vision DMA    33% faster   14% faster   x

Draco

I tried out DatapathPlugin-20130316-32R and no dice, seems to still do the jitter-dance. Toggled H/W Accel on/off and restarted OBS to test each time. Argh. :(

Muf

Forum Moderator
Draco said:
I tried out DatapathPlugin-20130316-32R and no dice, seems to still do the jitter-dance. Toggled H/W Accel on/off and restarted OBS to test each time. Argh. :(
Strange. It seems to be rendering frames out-of-order. Do you have nvidia? If so, try setting "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 0 in the nvidia control panel.

Boildown

Will these work with directshow in case development ends on the RGBEasy version? The dual-link DVI one intrigues me, but I don't want to fork out for one of these cards if its dependent on RGBEasy which may not be kept up with new developments of the OBS code.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Boildown said:
Will these work with directshow in case development ends on the RGBEasy version? The dual-link DVI one intrigues me, but I don't want to fork out for one of these cards if its dependent on RGBEasy which may not be kept up with new developments of the OBS code.
Yes, they work just fine with DirectShow. RGBEasy just offers higher performance.

Draco

On OBS 0.541b, logs report: "Failed to load plugin plugins/DatapathPlugin.dll, 193"

BTW, I wanted to give the plugin one last go since I got back my VisionRGB-E2 card from Datapath (RMA) as one of the ports stopped functioning. I mention that because I wonder if all my issues cropped up from a malfunctioning card after all. :P

I would grab the source and see what I could do, but I doubt my skills at being able to get it to load/function. ;)

Muf

Forum Moderator
Haha, I've just got my card in RMA actually. I was getting strange image corruption.

I can't really debug or test anything until I get it back, I'm afraid. Shouldn't take long though, hopefully. There's also a really weird bug when your OBS fps is higher than the refresh rate of the video signal you're capturing through the Vision card, so don't do that, haha. I'm guessing my frame repeat code is completely wrong after all (it looks fine in preview, but when you look at the stream or VOD, everything is messed up).

Boildown

Just so you know, I have a Datapath VisionRGB-E1s that I picked up off ebay coming in the mail, so you'll have someone else interested in this plugin and testing it. Price was practically the same as an Avermedia, so I can just sell that and use this if all goes well. Thanks!

Muf

Forum Moderator
Boildown said:
Just so you know, I have a Datapath VisionRGB-E1s that I picked up off ebay coming in the mail, so you'll have someone else interested in this plugin and testing it. Price was practically the same as an Avermedia, so I can just sell that and use this if all goes well. Thanks!
Sounds like somebody made a loss of about $700 :P.