Understanding OBS Studio log

OBS Studio Understanding OBS Studio log

EBrito

EBrito submitted a new resource:

Understanding OBS Studio log - A guide for log self analysis

This is a short description of OBS log and the info contained in each section.
I´m not a programmer, just an OBS enthisiast. So, if any OBS developer or advanced user can correct my mistakes, we can make a complete guide to help auto diagnose of problems with OBS Studio (For example, "Profiler results" section is still a black box for me)

I have mixed several logs, so timestamps are not exactly correlative

Info in each section depends on your own scenary: system, OS, OBS Configuration,...

Read more about this resource...

Gol D. Ace

OpenGL: (never seen a "positive" result in this section) NOTE: found one. If you have those DLLs these 3 lines are not present in your log QUESTION FOR DEVELOPERS: What are these DLL for?
11:58:21.767: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libcef.dll' not found, loading of module failed
11:58:21.768: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll' not found, loading of module failed
11:58:21.768: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libGLESv2.dll' not found, loading of module failed

They're for the browser source. OBS Studio tries to load them like they would be a plugin which fails because they aren't plugins but part of the browser source / cef.

Suslik V

Number of memory leaks: 1 >>>> the number of c++ objects that was lost in the PC's RAM memory (application "forgets" them for some reason). The best value is 0 (nothing "forgotten"). Useful info for developers.

EBrito

Thank you @Suslik V
In my experience, I always see at least 1 memory leak. I suppose it´s produced when closing OBS.

I will edit this section.

Suslik V

I think, you should mention at top of the guide that the Windows version of the OBS Studio log is used as example in this guide.

The next build of the OBS Studio should have new description for the software part (antivirus info added for Win10 and gaming modes refactored). Don't forget to update it when new Studio comes out! ^_^

Also,
OBS Studio expect that all files in "obs-plugins/64bit" folder are plugins itself. At startup the program looks for special function inside each file to "register" each plugin in obs. If this operation fails - file/plugin ignored and unavailable in obs. Unfortunately, the Browser Source plugin is complex and itself consist of number of files. Only one of the files is actually the plugin's library, that "register" in obs the new source - Browser Source. The other 3 (libcef.dll, libEGL.dll, libGLESv2.dll) required to make the Browser plugin to work, but they are not obs plugins itself. Thus, obs tries to load this 3 files, but fails, because this files just a part of the bigger one - the Browser plugin.

I think you can refine the info about the application loading like:
Code:
Next 3 strings indicates that files not are plugins themselves but parts of a bigger one - the Browser plugin (if installed). Just ignore this info strings.

Also, I think better to rename
AUDIO AND VIDEO ENCODERS
to
INITIALIZATION OF PLUGINS
//////////
OBS MODULES
to
MODULES IN USE
//////////

In general, I see it like this, example under the spoiler:
INITIALIZATION OF PLUGINS

AUDIO AAC ENCODER:
11:58:21.757: [CoreAudio encoder]: Adding CoreAudio AAC encoder
--> OTHERWISE:
11:58:21.757: [CoreAudio encoder]: CoreAudio AAC encoder not installed on the system or couldn't be loaded

(nothing wrong, OBS Studio is open source and CoreAudio products has other licensing. If you need CoreAudio products - install it manually and OBS Studio will use it)

AMD GPU ENCODER:
11:58:21.757: [AMF Encoder] Version 1.4.2.3
11:58:21.758: [AMF Encoder] Runtime Library is on Version 1;3;0;5;1.2;201611151603.
11:58:21.758: [AMF Encoder] Runtime is on Version 1.3.0.5, compiled against Version 1.3.0.5.
--> OTHERWISE:
11:58:21.758: [AMF] Encountered Exception during AMF initialization: Unable to load 'amfrt32.dll', error code 126.
11:58:21.758: Failed to initialize module 'enc-amf.dll'

(all OK, your PC lacks proper AMD VCE support. This highly depends on hardware of your PC)

BROWSER SOURCE PLUGIN:
(all OK, next 3 strings indicates that files are not the plugins themselves but parts of a bigger one - the Browser plugin [if installed]. Just ignore this info strings.)

11:58:21.767: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libcef.dll' not found, loading of module failed
11:58:21.768: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libEGL.dll' not found, loading of module failed
11:58:21.768: Required module function 'obs_module_load' in module '../../obs-plugins/64bit/libGLESv2.dll' not found, loading of module failed
11:58:21.769: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'obs-browser.dll'
11:58:21.769: [browser_source: 'Version: 1.26.0']
--> OTHERWISE:
<<< no info in the log because nothing to load >>>

NVIDIA GPU ENCODER:
11:58:21.771: NVENC supported
--> OTHERWISE:
11:58:21.771: LoadLibrary failed for 'nvEncodeAPI.dll': The specified module could not be found.

(all OK, your PC lacks proper NVIDIA NVENC support. This highly depends on hardware of your PC)

VLC VIDEO SOURCE:
11:58:21.785: VLC found, VLC video source enabled
--> OTHERWISE:
11:58:21.785: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled

(if you run OBS Studio 64 bits, you need VLC Player 64 bits installed. Same - for 32 bits)

BLACKMAGIC DEVICE SOURCE:
<<< no info in the log because no errors during load >>>
--> OTHERWISE:
11:58:21.803: No blackmagic support : No Blackmagic devices attached.
11:58:22.201: ---------------------------------

(all OK, there are no running capture cards from Blackmagic Design in your PC right now)

Last edited: