Unable to Record with NVENC HEVC

ScottyKnows

New Member
Hello,
I've been trouble shooting this for a while but am unable to solve. Recording fails using the NVENC HEVC encoder. I receive an invalid parameter error message as soon as I hit record. I've folllowed the suggested troubleshooting and created test profiles. AV1 and H.264 works. If AV1 is better, I'll just stick with that, but I used to be able to use HEVC. Would appreciate any help or insight. Thank you!

Here's the log file:

Got this analysis from Grok:

HEVC dies here, before a frame is encoded:

<span><span>init_encoder_base: nvEncGetEncodePresetConfig failed: 8 (NV_ENC_ERR_INVALID_PARAM): EncodeAPI Internal Error.</span></span><br><span><span>Already in non_texture encoder, can't fall back further!</span></span>

That happens twice in a row: the texture encoder, then the fallback. The driver is rejecting the HEVC preset query itself. AV1 never hits it. The clip that did start, 2026-10-09 09-24-13.mkv, is AV1, P010, 1080p60, preset P5.

One attempt is a separate mistake. At 09:23:38 the color format was BGRA, and OBS logged Cannot perform 4:4:4 encode on this encoder. HEVC NVENC will not take BGRA or I444. Leave the color format on NV12 or P010.

The preset error matches a driver break from 591.44 onward: nvEncGetEncodePresetConfig returns invalid-param for H.264 and HEVC, while AV1 still opens. You are on 617.42, and the 5060 still does it. Changing the canvas does not help, which is why the 09:43 4K NV12 attempt failed the same way.
 
Back
Top