Unable to delete recordings

quapa

Hello,

I occasionally stream on YouTube and have a separate 1TB drive that all the recordings are saved to. I record in mkv and it automatically remux to mp4. In the past once the drive was full, I'd simply select all and delete. The files would be deleted in a matter of seconds. However, now they refuse to delete and the only way I've found to get rid of them is to reformat the whole drive. On my drive I can see both the mkv and mp4 files, but when I click to view them with Windows Media Player it just spins and says its trying to find the codec. Whereas, previously i was able to play the mp4 files no problem. When I go to edit the footage in Filmora the files pull in no problem and I'm able to view and edit the footage. Not only can I do all that in Filmora, but when i save the edited footage to the same drive and go to delete it, it is deleted in a matter of seconds like before. Below is what I've already attempted to resolve the issue:

1. OBS check file integrity
2. OBS check for updates
3. uninstall/reinstall OBS
4. remove Streamelements (alerts/sub goal) plug-ins
5. replace drive

I don't know what else to do. It started doing this about 3wks ago, and when I think back to when it first started I don't recall doing anything different or changing anything. It doesn't make sense. It's almost as though the files are in a limbo state of stop recording because when I click on File Explorer and go to the drive, my Recording folder files don't display a thumbnail like they used to. They're just the generic white file with a play button. The edited files from Filmora show a thumbnail.

I've attached screenshots of the Recording folder, Edited folder, and me attempting to delete all the files from the Recording folder. I've also attached the most recent log files from my last stream.

please help. I'm not a tech wizard and it's driving me mad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-17 001856.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-17 001856.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-06-17 001813.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-17 001813.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-06-17 001743.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-17 001743.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 2024-06-14 20-00-33.txt
    28.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2024-06-16 17-55-59.txt
    14 KB · Views: 2
  • 2024-06-16 17-57-22.txt
    36.4 KB · Views: 2

HACPAJI_B_CTAKAH

Have you tried closing OBS completely before deleting files? Maybe the files are somehow open in the program and this prevents them from being deleted. That's just a guess

quapa

Have you tried closing OBS completely before deleting files? Maybe the files are somehow open in the program and this prevents them from being deleted. That's just a guess
yes. I have tried closing the program, as well as restarting my PC. Did not solve the problem.

Lawrence_SoCal

yes. I have tried closing the program, as well as restarting my PC. Did not solve the problem.
Then you have an Operating System / permissions issue
Curious - are you using Runas (or right-clicking and) running OBS Studio as Administrator, which is a separate account on the computer, and your normal user account doesn't have permissions to the files?

quapa

Curious - are you using Runas (or right-clicking and) running OBS Studio as Administrator, which is a separate account on the computer, and your normal user account doesn't have permissions to the files?
Yes. I open OBS and run as administrator. I’m not at my PC right now, but I’ve also gone into the specific drive and gave it all permissions for all users. I’ll post a screenshot of what I mean when I get home if i don’t make sense.

quapa

Here's the screenshot of the permissions I was previously talking about. This is what my uncle told me could be the problem, but after setting everything to full control it still hasn't resolved the issue.
Screenshot 2024-06-17 165818.png

Lawrence_SoCal

1. I am annoyed when folks are advised to Run as Admin and not warn folks about potential complications... not to mention bad security practice..
anyway
2. that last screen shot is insufficient to indicate the actual file level permissions on the individual files you are having a problem with

quapa

1. I am annoyed when folks are advised to Run as Admin and not warn folks about potential complications... not to mention bad security practice..
anyway
2. that last screen shot is insufficient to indicate the actual file level permissions on the individual files you are having a problem with
Is there another way to run it? I am the only user on my pc. Still trying to resolve the issue. Reformatted the drive again last night because it was full again and files wouldn’t delete.

quapa

Hello,

I occasionally stream on YouTube and have a separate 1TB drive that all the recordings are saved to. I record in mkv and it automatically remux to mp4. In the past once the drive was full, I'd simply select all and delete. The files would be deleted in a matter of seconds. However, now they refuse to delete and the only way I've found to get rid of them is to reformat the whole drive. On my drive I can see both the mkv and mp4 files, but when I click to view them with Windows Media Player it just spins and says its trying to find the codec. Whereas, previously i was able to play the mp4 files no problem. When I go to edit the footage in Filmora the files pull in no problem and I'm able to view and edit the footage. Not only can I do all that in Filmora, but when i save the edited footage to the same drive and go to delete it, it is deleted in a matter of seconds like before. Below is what I've already attempted to resolve the issue:

1. OBS check file integrity
2. OBS check for updates
3. uninstall/reinstall OBS
4. remove Streamelements (alerts/sub goal) plug-ins
5. replace drive

I don't know what else to do. It started doing this about 3wks ago, and when I think back to when it first started I don't recall doing anything different or changing anything. It doesn't make sense. It's almost as though the files are in a limbo state of stop recording because when I click on File Explorer and go to the drive, my Recording folder files don't display a thumbnail like they used to. They're just the generic white file with a play button. The edited files from Filmora show a thumbnail.

I've attached screenshots of the Recording folder, Edited folder, and me attempting to delete all the files from the Recording folder. I've also attached the most recent log files from my last stream.

please help. I'm not a tech wizard and it's driving me mad.

Update:

I think I figured it out, but will have to stream again to confirm. It appears that the HVEC extension that I had downloaded from the Microsoft Store for Windows Media Player had signed itself out of my account. After I logged back in the files in the folder displayed a thumbnail and I was able to play them again with the Media Player. I was also able to delete the four files just now. Will stream again and test if this is the fix.

God I love technology.