Resource icon

All Versions Ultimate Encoder Quality Analysis 2020 (NVENC vs AMF vs QuickSync vs X264)

EposVox

EposVox submitted a new resource:

Ultimate Encoder Quality Analysis 2020 (NVENC vs AMF vs QuickSync vs X264) - You might be surprised

After far too many requests to updated my previous X264 vs NVENC and NVENC vs AMF/VCE videos with newer AMD drivers, I've finally put together what I consider to be the ultimate package of encoder quality comparisons. This is the state of streaming encoders for 2020 and where each stands on a quality level, with some notes about issues AMD users face moving forward.

Action Scene...

Read more about this resource...

DRDNA

@EposVox

Super great job, but you list in the title QuickSync but i do not see a single QuickSync entry in these graphs, maybe I'm just confused but some clarity would be helpful.

qhobbes

Super great job, but you list in the title QuickSync but i do not see a single QuickSync entry in these graphs, maybe I'm just confused but some clarity would be helpful.
It is mentioned in the Shooters Scene and below sections.

pseudosavant

Wow, this is a huge analysis. Thanks for doing all that work!

To make sure I'm interpretting the charts correctly, every encoder in a given set had the same output bitrate? So it is simple as higher the better, within one set? I'm just surprised to see NVENC H264 beating x264. I've never seen a hardware encoder achieve that.

I'd definitely rather encode using my RTX 2070 Super than my CPU.