Ubuntu 22.04 / OBS 30.0.1 -- "Failed to start recording" -- upon first attempt to use

blahboybaz

I had OBS Studio before but it may have been a slightly older version (idk). After upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu (20.04 --> 22.04) I had to reinstall OBS. Today, for the first time, I've had a need to use it and found I needed to start from scratch with configuration and setting it up. I only plan to use OBS for desktop recording (not streaming) at this time and my intent was to get it set up to do screen capture and capture audio input. I ran through the initial setup wizard that is presented and selected the second (or middle) option specifying that my intent was to use it for recording and confirmed the auto generated setting it presented me with. I then renamed the default Scene and added two Sources [Audio Input Capture (PulseAudio) and Screen Capture (XSHM)] and locked them both with the little padlock icon next to each item. I tried searching for a simple solution to the problem but what I've seen so far is not related to my platform (linux) or is over my head to understand (I am SO VERY not knowledgeable in this area) - I'm good with technology in other subjects but not when it comes to audio / video recording or editing - have no vocabulary for it either. I have no idea what "encoders or video drivers" I'm using and to be honest I'm not sure I'm comfortable making changes to those parts of my system since everything else (other than OBS) is working fine. Not sure where to begin but I need to make a recording as soon as possible that includes my voice and what I'm doing on the computer.

Here are screenshots and the log files from my 2 attempts to fire up a recording session.. If anyone can help I will be eternally grateful.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-27-45.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-27-45.png
    401.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-30-01.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-30-01.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-30-28.png
    Screenshot from 2024-02-14 13-30-28.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 55
  • first-attempt-2024-02-14 12-34-37.txt
    13.6 KB · Views: 19
  • second-attempt-2024-02-14 12-47-12.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 17

blahboybaz

Is anyone able to help me? I'm unable to use OBS and there are times where I really need it. One of those times has come up again - I need to make a video to share information with someone and can't. I'm not highly technical about things like this and don't want to be. My old installation worked fine out of the box. Please help someone.

blahboybaz

Looks like you are trying to use QuickSync.

In a terminal install the following

Hopefully it will work after.

The above is what I needed to do for my Intel Arc GPU.
https://www.electrostingz.co.uk/202...quick-sync-mfx_err_not_found-error-in-ubuntu/

Yeah.. that didn't change anything. I'm sorry. I'm still getting the same message and failure as before.

Fwiw my drivers are maxed out at the very latest available drivers (I just went through upgrading them about an hour ago and that changed nothing).

By the way - what's quick sync?

blahboybaz

Quick Sync is Intel's hardware video encoding technology.

If you installed OBS from the Ubuntu software store uninstall it and use the one from the official OBS PPE - https://obsproject.com/kb/linux-installation.

Is there something I need to do to completely remove the current installation?

I just did..

sudo apt remove --purge obs-studio sudo apt autoremove sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio sudo apt update sudo apt install obs-studio

When I launched OBS after that there was not only no setup wizard (like you would normally get with a fresh installation) but what came up contained my previously configured scene and sources (as if nothing had changed). This should not be possible after having run ` sudo apt remove --purge obs-studio`.

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio gave the following (notice that the repository being added is identical to the an existing repository - presumably that means it was this repository that the first / original installation was installed from)...

See dpaste

After the above command $ sudo apt install obs-studio gave the following...

See dpaste

What came up contained my previously configured scene and sources (as if nothing had changed).

Ps: Sorry for having to paste the output of those commands. I ran over the character limit for this post by a wee bit adn I don't see a way to add a text attachment / file. Maybe I just missed it.

Last edited: