Two Things Missing Before I Can Use This Software...

Jaxel

There are two features missing from OBS. Until OBS has them, I can't use it over XSplit...

1 - Needs the ability to move items around the screen using pixel specific dimensions. Right now OBS has a dragging/stretching thing like Wirecast. This is bad, and I can't understand why this exists instead of pixel specific dimensions. Dragging and dropping is high inaccurate.

2 - Needs the ability to stream to TWO places at once. One feed to a stream, and a second to a local file. Basically it needs to be able to record and stream at the same time.

Without these features, OBS is unusable.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Jaxel said:
2 - Needs the ability to stream to TWO places at once. One feed to a stream, and a second to a local file. Basically it needs to be able to record and stream at the same time.
This is possible. In Settings->Broadcast Settings, with "Mode" set to "Live Stream", check "Save to file" and enter the filename you would like OBS to save your local recording to.

Jaxel

No, that is not the same... if I do that, there ends up being an 8 hour long video.

There needs to be a way to click start and stop on a recording, the same way you click start and stop on a stream.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Muf said:
What's wrong with just cutting up the video afterwards?

The fact that editors can't open the videos yet :P

I definitely agree with the functionality you want Jaxel, and I believe it'll happen at some point.

Jaxel

Muf said:
What's wrong with just cutting up the video afterwards?
because that adds dozens of hours of work, to something that could easily be done on-the-fly and add zero hours of work.

Jaxel

and it actually adds a full 24 hours to my upload times. Lets say I finish an event on Tuesday night... I get home, plug in my hard drive, start uploading matches... go to sleep. This way, I get home on Tuesday night... go to sleep... wake up in the morning, spend 4 hours cutting up videos... can't upload it till wednesday night.

All this could easily be avoid with a simple click to record option.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Yeah, I definitely see what you want Jaxel and I'm pretty sure at some point it'll be possible (I'm personally pushing for it, as well as others)

Out of personal curiosity, are you the same Jaxel of 8wayrun?

Jaxel

That would be me.

I am also the author of the XSplit Panel Writer... which thankfully works with OBS.

The problem is that XSplit has so many issues right now. Beta 5 was the best version, and each version since then has gotten consistently worse.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Jaxel said:
That would be me.

I am also the author of the XSplit Panel Writer... which thankfully works with OBS.

Oh does it actually function as is? I sent an email via the website once to try and get in touch with you, was hoping it could made into a plugin or something

Ohai Jaxel!

Just a quick question, do you have any demo videos for XSplit Panel Writer? I read through your announcements about them months ago when you first released it but I just don't really understand what it's supposed to be used for.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
want to start recording in the middle of streaming? hmm, never thought about that before. that's actually a really good idea for splitting up broadcasts. having to split up and transcode again is seriously painful. should be possible to do. I'll see what I can do, but can't guarantee it sooner than later. depends on the difficulty.

Jaxel

Thanks for taking it into consideration. Unfortunately, the "not sooner than later" thing worries me. I get a lot of people who ask me about OBS, and until this feature is added, I simply can not use OBS.

Jaxel

TheRevTastic said:
Ohai Jaxel!

Just a quick question, do you have any demo videos for XSplit Panel Writer? I read through your announcements about them months ago when you first released it but I just don't really understand what it's supposed to be used for.
I have a tutorial vid for the old version... not the new version.

Jaxel said:
TheRevTastic said:
Ohai Jaxel!

I have a tutorial vid for the old version... not the new version.

Ah nice, watched it and see what it does now :P. To bad as of this Wednesday I'll be switching over to YouTube Live for my livestreaming :P.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I wish I could make everyone happy and just give everybody the features they want right away, but sometimes I have to make a choice, do I spend my current time implementing this feature, or do I implementing that feature? I end up having to try to prioritize these things to the best of my ability, and usually based upon their overall necessity among all the users. If a feature is only desired by one or two users, I may end up putting it off if it's not easy to do. If it is easy to do I can do it sooner.

If a feature is desired by hundreds of users, that's usually a fairly critical feature that needs to be put in. You would think something like "stream delay" wasn't important, but so many people use it to prevent stream cheating that I just had to implement it sooner rather than later.

I'm just one guy, and I can only do so much at a time. Hopefully you can understand my somewhat perilous situation. If it can be done easily, I will attempt to get it in. If not, if possible please wait an update or two so I can get higher priority things out of the way and make time for it.

That being said, I do feel that despite the fact that not many overall users would use it, it is definitely a more important feature for those longer stream sessions, so it's not going to go to the bottom of the priority list either at all.

Fire

Jim said:
I wish I could make everyone happy and just give everybody the features they want right away, but sometimes I have to make a choice, do I spend my current time implementing this feature, or do I implementing that feature? I end up having to try to prioritize these things to the best of my ability, and usually based upon their overall necessity among all the users. If a feature is only desired by one or two users, I may end up putting it off if it's not easy to do. If it is easy to do I can do it sooner.

If a feature is desired by hundreds of users, that's usually a fairly critical feature that needs to be put in. You would think something like "stream delay" wasn't important, but so many people use it to prevent stream cheating that I just had to implement it sooner rather than later.

I'm just one guy, and I can only do so much at a time. Hopefully you can understand my somewhat perilous situation. If it can be done easily, I will attempt to get it in. If not, if possible please wait an update or two so I can get higher priority things out of the way and make time for it.

That being said, I do feel that despite the fact that not many overall users would use it, it is definitely a more important feature for those longer stream sessions, so it's not going to go to the bottom of the priority list either at all.

You could always get war to throw up a public feature ticker that anyone with a forum account upvote on. Advertise the top 5-10 requested features on a visible portion of the site and you'd be able to see what the people want more easily that a forum listing.

Granted, it's always possible that it could be manipulated, but that usually only happens when certain websites bomb others for a laugh.

--

As for my addition to this thread, I'd like the ability to postpone local file creation until later ( A time of my choosing? A list of broadcasts ready to be muxed and let the user choose which one to create ). I hate stopping my stream after a stretch to fix an issue only to be completely stuck for five to ten minutes waiting on it to finish making my local recording.

--

Warchamp7 said:
Muf is our resident XenForo fanboy.

that's because xenforo best foro ( well, best premade forum software anyway )