Two separate recordings merged into one

TGN243

I’ve been running two instances of OBS for about a month now with no issues, one is for gameplay the other for facecam. However after two hours of recording the files have somehow combined into one. Each instance has a specific file to go to once recording is done and are originally recorded as MKV files and remuxed into mp4 files. Is it possible to separate the file back to the way it is supposed to be recorded or am I stuck with a single file that jumps between full screen facecam and gameplay with no commentary.

AaronD

If all you're using the different instances for is multiple different recordings, then you might look at the Source Record plugin:
Then you have just one instance of OBS that does everything.

I do use multiple instances in one of my rigs, but that's because I have effectively two simultaneous live productions, each with their own scene switches, etc. So they both use a fair amount of the same resources that OBS only has one of. If they were just different recordings of the same thing all the way through, like it sounds to me that you're doing, then I could use a single instance with that plugin.

derrickmg

I’ve been running two instances of OBS for about a month now with no issues, one is for gameplay the other for facecam. However after two hours of recording the files have somehow combined into one. Each instance has a specific file to go to once recording is done and are originally recorded as MKV files and remuxed into mp4 files. Is it possible to separate the file back to the way it is supposed to be recorded or am I stuck with a single file that jumps between full screen facecam and gameplay with no commentary.
I use the following method to record the outputs of two different cameras (should work for any source/s). Using assigned keyboard shortcuts starts both instances of OBS at the same time. Hope this helps.

1. Download OBS studio zip file and extract to a new folder. I put mine on C: drive and named it OBS PORTABLE. You can name and put it anywhere you want.
I am using version 28.0.0 due to issues I have with audio in newer versions of OBS. I don't see why it wouldn't work with any other version, including the latest.
2. In the extracted folder, look in subfolder /bin/64bit/ and find the exe file: OBS64.exe
It will have an OBS icon.
3. Right click on the file and select 'send to desktop create shortcut'.
4. Right click on the shortcut you´ve created, and click on properties -> target -> And add "--portable" (without quotation marks) at the end of the line. Be sure to add a space after .exe"
Then click apply and save. Should look something like the following(mine includes the name of the folder I created in C: drive):
"C:\OBS PORTABLE\OBS-Studio-28.0-Full-x64\bin\64bit\obs64.exe" --portable
This desktop shortcut will now run OBS in standalone mode (Portable).
7. Be sure to set a a different recording path in the portable version in settings 'Output' or OBS will not save outputs from different cameras or other input devices.

It is stable and fully functional.