Resource icon

All Versions Twitch and Youtube settings guide

Lexsan

Lexsan submitted a new resource:

Twitch and Youtube settings guide - Encoding settings required for a good gaming stream.

I have recently come upon information regarding quality calculations for streaming, provided by another forum user (sorry don't remember). I decided to publish that information in a more useful manner so that people can stream wiser.

Bitrate = res_width * res_height * fps_count * quality_factor (measured in bits pers second).

Using OBS we can modify the following:
- bitrate - the overall product number
- resolution - the first components
- fps - the middle component

Quality factor can not be...

Read more about this resource...

Meydiem

My settings:
Encoder: x264
Quality balance (Quality factor?): 10
Max bitrate: 3000

Downscale 1.5 (1280*720)
Filter: Lanczos (36 samples)
FPS: 30

My average kbps is at 1800 kbps, is it normal?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
We can only tell whats officially listed on the twitch page, and that is 3500. For further questions, you will have to contact Twitch.tv.

Lexsan

In your guide you mention that it's impossible to do more than 3500 bps for Twitch. To my understanding, the 3500 limit is for non partnered streams, but for those who are partnered, they can go over that.
Actually you can go with 9000 kbps if you want, but the ingestion server will drop anything over 3500 -> you will have laggy, impossible content. I run with 3650 as my personal little cheat, but at circa 4000 they drop of portion of it.

Bamse

You are leaving too many parameters out for anyone to be able to answer your question
So, we know that you want your video file size not be be over more than 300MB. What about resolution? How long will the video be when you are done recording? What will you be recording ... high or low motion content?

As an example; going with a bitrate that would be able to be streamed to twitch (with a quality that won't be considered good for a local recording and material meant for editing) you will be consuming ~3500kb/s. Math tells us that if your max video file size is 300MB, this will give you about a 1½ minute of recording.

In general, have a look at this guide for local recordings: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I am really bad at this, so someone correct me, but isnt it more like this?
300 megabytes * 8 = 2400 megabit * 1000 = 2 400 000 kilobits / 3500 kilobits/second = ~686 seconds / 60 = ~11minutes
But you are certainly right, a bit more information would be good :)

Lexsan

I am really bad at this, so someone correct me, but isnt it more like this?
300 megabytes * 8 = 2400 megabit * 1000 = 2 400 000 kilobits / 3500 kilobits/second = ~686 seconds / 60 = ~11minutes
But you are certainly right, a bit more information would be good :)
Bad comment. I was mistaken, you were right.

Last edited:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Ok now I am totally confused. To my knowledge:
kb/s = kilobit per second = kbps
kB/s = kilobyte per second = kBps
MB = megabyte
Mb = megabit
Oh and Bamse talked about streamable bitrate so he probably meant 3500kbps?!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Jack0r is correct.

If the question is "If you have a 300 megabyte video file that was encoded at 3500 kilobits per second, how long is it?" then the answer is ~685.7 seconds, or ~11.4 minutes.

300 megabytes
* 1000 = 300000 kilobytes
* 8 = 2400000 kilobits
/ 3500 kilobits per second
= ~685.7 seconds
/ 60 = 11.4 minutes

it's 3500 kb/s not 3500 kbps

Those are literally the exact same thing. kbps is kb/s. The p (per) is swapped out for a / (per). Bit rate is measured in kilobits per second, not kilobytes per second.

Lexsan

I'm sorry if I misled you.
I interpreted kb/s as KB/s. It is my mistake. The math in my guide should still be good though, I have to check.

Bamse

true, my bad!
I won't be doing any type of even the most basic math late nights (3AM -.-) again anytime soon, that's for sure :D

DEDRICK

http://www.twitch.tv/vancitygames/v/9384656

That VOD is of PlanetSide 2, which is normally a disaster to record at a good quality due to all the explosions, fog, rapid camera movements etc. Using what I learned in this thread though, you would have to be splitting hairs to find any major artifacts worth mentioning.

I made a Bits per pixel calculator in Google Sheets. Just enter your Kbps and Base Resolution and it will output the BPP from 30-60 FPS for every Downscale Resolution available in OBS-MP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XyI4WiNWrtnKqyXHvyzpL9mKbuGlyZM76feS20ccwzU/edit?usp=sharing

The downscale resolutions are fairly accurate except for 1.75 and 2.75 which are off by a couple pixels

EDIT...I am aware the V and H are backwards, I have already fixed it lol

JxB909V.png

One thing to note about BPP is 0.1 @ 720p is not the same as it is @ 540p. As you increase in resolution you require more BPP to achieve the same artifact free quality. So again, it is just a guideline, a starting point. Recording sample videos and seeing what it looks like is still going to be the best judge.

I use a base resolution of 1440p. I have been having great results with 3500Kbps 640p45 Bilinear , Medium CPU Preset, Film Tuning.

Last edited:

Gekko

Hi

I'm relatively new to all of this, and as such my video quality is pretty bad. I saw this article and thought: "YAS!". Then it struck me. It is kinda old. And i'm not sure if the bitrate settings in OBS are measured in kbps or bps. Also my potato rig is pretty bad, i know, i know. But the quality i get is just unfair.

So i want to know:
  • Is this still relevant?
  • Is the bitrate setting in OBS measured in kbps or bps?
  • Is it relevant with CBR and 1080p@60 for YouTube (videos not streaming)? What is the right bitrate (for potato rig/YouTube)? Is 1080p@60 a bad choice for me?
Sincerely
Gekko