Question / Help Trying To Stream With Vlc Player

Indie Radio

First up I should say that I'm no tech guy so can you please reply in layman's terms. I'm trying to stream multiply mp4 files from Vlc Player to OBS and then to YouTube or some other internet server, is this possible with OBS? If so can someone tell me how to configure it all. I've looked all over this forum and the internet and all I see are references to streaming live from webcams or other capture devices, gaming and recording. Can OBS be configured to stream prerecorded video files in any format and from kind from any media player?

koala

You can include prerecorded video into your stream by adding sources of type "VLC Video Source" (if you have VLC installed) or "Media Source". Media source has a bit less options than the VLC video source. With VLC video source, OBS uses VLC internally. You don't explicitly start VLC, OBS only uses the VLC libraries.

If you want more control over the video playback than simply starting and stopping (the above sources don't give any controls to manage playback), you can capture your media player, for example VLC with Game Capture, and include this.

Last edited:

Indie Radio

BIG THANKS to you both for the response Koala and EBrito! Sorry about my response being so slow but I took a few days to play around with OBS. I did get it to stream MP4 files but now I think I'm having some frame dropping issues. I'm getting an encoder overload message which says I should consider turning down my video settings or use a faster encoding preset. My video bitrate is down to 1000, my audio bitrate is down to 128 and my encoder preset is on ultrafast and still I'm dropping frames and still getting that encoder overload message.

But even more than that, this program doesn't seem to be streaming live files, it seems to just be creating recorded files and posting them to YouTube. Each time I tried to stream, I can't find the live stream as its streaming. Then after I'm done streaming I see the file posted as if I had posted a video to YouTube. I also notice that the URL is different for each of these posts so how is this considered live streaming?

Indie Radio

Hey again EBrito and once again, thanks for all your help. Well, I think I have this figured out finally. I am able to ..."stream". I have the word "stream" in quotations because from what I see this is not streaming. All this software is doing is recording the files and then posting them to YouTube. While I'm "streaming" I can't find anywhere on YouTube where the files that I'm currently playing are being played. THEN when I stop the stream, a few moments later I see a post of the last files that I played. I even clicked on a link that said..."Live Now" and that only brought up a black YouTube player with nothing playing. So again I ask, can OBS be configured to "stream" prerecorded video files? "Stream" as in play the same files that I'm playing on my PC with maybe a few seconds delay?