Bug Report Texture->Map Error? Read this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
A common problem you may encounter with high end GPUs is OBS crashing with a "Texture->Map Failed" message, sometimes with a "Display driver has stopped responding" message from Windows. This occurs when OBS issues a simple command to DirectX (map a texture), and DirectX reports back that the GPU or driver has crashed and restarted. This may be accompanied by your screen flickering or turning black. Because the GPU has crashed, all the data OBS was using in the GPU was lost, and OBS is forced to exit with this error message.

NOTE: Windows 10 Anniversary Update is known to ship broken drivers that will trigger this error. The only fix for now is to remove the update.

Unfortunately there is no more information that OBS or its developers can give you as there is no way to get any more detailed information as to why the GPU crashed. It could be something that only occurs under certain conditions, eg with certain games and certain capture methods, as different applications stress different parts of your GPU.

There's lots of possible reasons why the GPU may be crashing ranging from unstable drivers, an overclocked GPU, overheating, faulty GPU memory, overclocked system, an unstable power supply or simply a defective GPU.

Here are some things you can try to do to isolate or fix the problem:
  • Make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU (including any integrated GPU you may also be using).

• Try downgrading to older revisions of drivers to see if it might be a driver problem.

• Check for overheating by monitoring your GPU temperature with GPU-Z while running OBS and your game. Anything over 90c is probably a cause for concern.

• Disable any CPU or GPU overclocking to help eliminate instability (note: some GPUs may come pre-overclocked by the manufacturer).

• Avoid using Monitor Capture on Windows 8 laptops. The display duplication feature is not well tested in many drivers which causes the driver to crash. Try window or game capture instead.

• Turn off the OBS preview window. Some video drivers have issues rendering multiple outputs at once.

• Make sure all monitors are connected to the same GPU. Running OBS or games on different GPUs may cause instability.

• If using multiple GPUs (SLI or Crossfire), try using only one GPU at once. Test both GPUs by themselves in case one of them is not stable.

• (Advanced users - at your own risk!) Raise the GPU voltage to try and make the GPU more stable.

• (Advanced users - at your own risk!) Modify the TdrDelay setting in the registry to give the GPU more time to respond before crashing. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff569918(v=vs.85).aspx for details.

• If possible, try another power supply to ensure your GPU is getting consistent, stable power.

• If possible, try another GPU from the same model / family to isolate whether it's a the GPU or something else.

Last edited:

Kenshii

yeah funny things, all tested, still the Problem, i downclock, i try 5 different driver versions (and yes i know how to clean before i install an older driver), i use another power supply etc etc...NOTHING helps.

and u can say what u want, this is an OBS Problem. when i google this, on every forum u find out that people who got this error always use OBS. maybe u guys start to find out why this problem is happened (like i say, Xsplit works fine for days!!) and solve it.

and yes i try already another model cause i thought the GraphicCard is the Problem, my first was from Palit, now i got one from Gainward, still the Problem.

and no the Graphic Card or CPU is not overheating. Graphic Card on 40-50

and yeah. i NEVER use Monitor Capturing, and this happens will ALL GAmes. Sometimes after few minutes, sometimes after couple hours.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
OBS is probably the only software you use that makes use of advanced GPU features like shared textures, asynchronous back buffer downloads, D3D render queries and all the other things that OBS does that make it high performance. So it's not at all surprising that it only happens with OBS, but this does not mean it is caused by OBS.

Kenshii

ok so i will use Xsplit in the Future, cause with Xsplit i got no problems, would be the best for every nVidia users. Sry but u got only excuses for this bug. I try more Streamingsoftwares as only OBS & Xsplit, i Stream since 4 Years now with a Partnership and Sub Button, iam not a newbie who got no idea about this stuff but ok. Have a nice life, Xsplit got me back. Better pay Money for a software who works as use a Free Software who got the Admins only Excuses for bugs

Osiris

Don't act so entitled.... it is not something that can be fixed in OBS.
Only a few people are getting this error anyway.

Last edited:

Kenshii

A Few People? Google the Error Message how many people Post in several Forums about this Problem and always they got this Error only while they Streaming with OBS. There are Forum posts sind 2013/2014 and nothing happens cause People like R1CH always Excuse "that problem has nothing to do with OBS" yes thats why People got this Bug with nVidia Card since YEARS!!

Harold

Remind me again Kenshii, how that attitude of yours actually gets the problem fixed

Oh wait.

It doesn't.

Osiris

A Few People? Google the Error Message how many people Post in several Forums about this Problem and always they got this Error only while they Streaming with OBS. There are Forum posts sind 2013/2014 and nothing happens cause People like R1CH always Excuse "that problem has nothing to do with OBS" yes thats why People got this Bug with nVidia Card since YEARS!!

Yes a few people, compared to the many users of OBS it's a few, besides if it was an OBS problem it would have already been fixed.
Now drop the attitude and act like a normal person.

Kenshii

Remind me again Kenshii, how that attitude of yours actually gets the problem fixed

Oh wait.

It doesn't.

Cause iam bored of it to read the same excuses always! But yeah its ok, we all got bad hardwares thats why OBS dont run with this some nVidia Graphic Cards! Greatest solution, every Stream Software Works, without OBS everything is fine but yeah OBS is not the Problem =)

The same thing: i read a many blogs with tipps to improove the Stream Quality. And in so many Blogs i see R1CHARD who write "this will not work, this is wrong" and such QQ the whole time while other People write that this tipps help them. But R1CHARD say this cant be so every User is a lier.

Like i say, bye OBS, hello Xsplit. Best solution for all nVidia Users and for Twitch Xsplit is still Free like OBS ;)

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
OBS is used by almost 200,000 people every day. Judging by the number of error reports, the vast, vast majority of people using OBS are not experiencing this problem. There is something about your system configuration that is triggering the issue - I wish I knew what it was, but I don't. I've only used NVIDIA cards with OBS and have never once encountered the GPU crashing, so it's not something specific to OBS. The steps outlined above are the best troubleshooting advice we can give when we're dealing with an unknown cause. I'm sorry they didn't work for you, but everyone's PC is different.

Sabina261187

This is not just an nvidia problem Kenshii, try turn down for you attitude a bit.

I am getting it constantly as well the past three days.
I have been streaming for almost a year, and have never encountered it until three days ago when I started playing and streaming Euro Truck Simulator 2, I have ran DDU and reinstalled newest driver.. I am not OC'ed, and it is not unstable either, heat is not an issue, as in Euro Truck Simulator I have never reached above 34 degrees Celsius on GPU and 31 degrees CPU and OBS funnily enough have never ever before crashed if I'm playing f.x. Ryse Son of Rome or Battlefield 4 on ultra settings and reach between 56 and 60 degrees Celsius, which is still nothing, considered they easily can tolerate 80+ degree temperatures. I have GPU-Z, HWiNFO and Aida64 running constantly, with AMD overdrive disabled, and MSI Afterburner disabled...

It only happens with OBS, and OBS combined playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 only..
So please, please, please, do look over it again..

Setup:
  • CPU: AMD FX-9590
  • MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0
  • GPU: 2 x XFX Black Edition DD R9 290's
  • RAM: AMD Radeon Gamer Series 2133 Mhz 4x4 GB
  • SSD: Samsung EVO 250 GB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB
  • PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G2
  • Cooling: Corsair Liquid Cooler H100i
  • Cooling: Bitfenix Recon Fancontroller
  • Cooling: 2 x Corsair Air Series SP120 120mm fans
  • Cooling: 2 x Enermax UC-MA12 120mm fans
  • Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24D3ST
  • Monitors: 2xASUS VE228TR (HDMI connected)
Log: http://jpst.it/zj8f

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
There is nothing we can look at. Your GPU is crashing, not OBS. If you've really tried all the troubleshooting steps and want to look into it further you'll have to contact your GPU manufacturer for support.

dping

This is not just an nvidia problem Kenshii, try turn down for you attitude a bit.

I am getting it constantly as well the past three days.
I have been streaming for almost a year, and have never encountered it until three days ago when I started playing and streaming Euro Truck Simulator 2, I have ran DDU and reinstalled newest driver.. I am not OC'ed, and it is not unstable either, heat is not an issue, as in Euro Truck Simulator I have never reached above 34 degrees Celsius on GPU and 31 degrees CPU and OBS funnily enough have never ever before crashed if I'm playing f.x. Ryse Son of Rome or Battlefield 4 on ultra settings and reach between 56 and 60 degrees Celsius, which is still nothing, considered they easily can tolerate 80+ degree temperatures. I have GPU-Z, HWiNFO and Aida64 running constantly, with AMD overdrive disabled, and MSI Afterburner disabled...

It only happens with OBS, and OBS combined playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 only..
So please, please, please, do look over it again..

Setup:
  • CPU: AMD FX-9590
  • MB: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0
  • GPU: 2 x XFX Black Edition DD R9 290's
  • RAM: AMD Radeon Gamer Series 2133 Mhz 4x4 GB
  • SSD: Samsung EVO 250 GB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB
  • PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000 G2
  • Cooling: Corsair Liquid Cooler H100i
  • Cooling: Bitfenix Recon Fancontroller
  • Cooling: 2 x Corsair Air Series SP120 120mm fans
  • Cooling: 2 x Enermax UC-MA12 120mm fans
  • Optical drive: ASUS DRW-24D3ST
  • Monitors: 2xASUS VE228TR (HDMI connected)
Log: http://jpst.it/zj8f
This could be as simple as bad profile in drivers for crossfire support. OBS and crossfire dont get along well anyway. it causes more issues with the way OBS hooks into the game. Does disabling crossfire fix your issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.