Text Source

Draco

I'll keep this post focused on one thing only. :)

Text Source!

Main Suggestion:
Please add an option for interval on having the file specified refreshed for changes. (for "Use Text From File")

Other "added suggestions" that I want to get off my chest include:
- XML/HTML parsing (sounds like this may get complicated!)
- "Outline" color for text, if at all possible. I'm not sure how this program is rendering it.
- HTML-tag parsing capability for better font/color combinations in both the "Enter Text" field and reading from file/url.
- Oh... reading text from a URL. ;)
- Have double-clicking a Source entry default to the "Properties" window (I'm still in my defined suggestion scope!)

...and sorry if any of these have been submitted already. Oh and sorry for coming out of the gate with my first-post containing tons of fluffy suggestions. :P

I believe this text plugin is in its infancy as of yet, (based on the news updates) but I just recently found out about OBS a week ago. I'm simply loving it so far. I've already had one successful 6-hour (or so) cast (http://www.twitch.tv/draco) with my BM Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ and didn't yet run into the dreaded progressive audio delay bug... YET being the key word! I'm sure it will bite eventually. Thank you for such an awesome/solid program. Bravo!

I might have a few more suggestions, but I promised to keep this post within scope. ;)

Draco

Warchamp7 said:
Please add an option for interval on having the file specified refreshed for changes. (for "Use Text From File")

Text source updates immediately whenever the file gets updated
I will need to look at this again. I think the reason I didn't see it updating was because I'm sourcing a network drive and not a local file/drive. I assume this would make a difference in it detecting changes?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
yea, it automatically detects updates in the file and changes it, but that may not work if it's a network drive

AniCator

I had one issue with using a text file that is updated.
I wrote a Python script that would update a text file every 2 seconds.

In OBS it initially looks fine but often when I start doing other stuff and get back to the window the text source will display "[!]" instead of the actual text from the text file and it won't refresh it until I go into the source's properties and click OK again to reset it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
yep, that's a bug, sorry about that, going to try to get it fixed