Support for Roxio Devices.

I have a Roxio Game Capture and Roxio Game Capture HD Pro. The 1st Roxio Game Capture works fine with OBS and whatnot but alot of things are messy. It gets real pixelated and whatnot when you try resizing and most of the resolutions do not work.

As for the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, Roxio has f'd streamers by only allow it to work with their software provided. If you guys could some how crack that and allow obs to work with it...that would be amazing.

Vaughn Whiskey

beesnipe

I second this. I bought the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, and I cannot find any decent way to use it for streaming. Using their shoddy packaged software isn't an option, and programs like xsplit cannot use it as a normal camera source. Even screen capping the preview window from their program is problematic, because it comes with several issues. Including the artifacts that appear in the preview window after a while, the fact that it's almost impossible to see a picture with windows aero disabled (blank screen in some cases), and of course a lot of quality is lost from the device this way.

If OBS is updated to support The Roxio Gamecap HD Pro as a video capture device, that would solve a LOT of issues for people who use this card, and OBS would likely be the best and only way to stream. :]

Muf

Forum Moderator
If someone with programming/reversing skills who owns one of these devices, who also has personal interest in seeing it supported in OBS dedicates some time to it, I'm sure they could make an OBS source plugin for it. Until then don't expect miracles.

If as you say the device doesn't support standard DirectShow capture, I would recommend trying to sell it and buying a capture device from a vendor that does support DirectShow.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The fact it runs over USB 2 means it is probably doing some internal encoding / compression, so getting uncompressed frames into OBS is likely not going to be possible.

Muf

Forum Moderator
R1CH said:
The fact it runs over USB 2 means it is probably doing some internal encoding / compression, so getting uncompressed frames into OBS is likely not going to be possible.

In that case it might just be like the Hauppauge devices, which are also not supported currently.

candlehandle

This is something that is being worked on by Xsplit so it must be possible. We'll just need people here that are much smarter than me to figure it out. :)

I can see the Roxio as a Video Device through OBS but I just get a blank red screen when I use it as a Source. I'm sure there must be a way to convert the incoming video stream in to something that OBS can read. Not only would this be amazing for Roxio owners to stream (primarily), but I would actually use OBS as my game recorder as well due to the poor state of the Roxio software.

- aethyal

Muf

Forum Moderator
aethyal said:
I can see the Roxio as a Video Device through OBS but I just get a blank red screen when I use it as a Source.
Yeah, that means the format is H.264, something that OBS' Device Source does not currently support yet, same as Hauppauge devices. Support for that is planned.

candlehandle

Muf said:
aethyal said:
I can see the Roxio as a Video Device through OBS but I just get a blank red screen when I use it as a Source.
Yeah, that means the format is H.264, something that OBS' Device Source does not currently support yet, same as Hauppauge devices. Support for that is planned.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Is it possible to know an ETA?

Krazy

Town drunk
Soonish probably? Jim is really try to get good capture card support as it's the only thing holding some streamers back from using OBS.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Maybe laterish rather than soonish. H.264 decoding support is something we'd prefer to do with a generic video decoding implementation, so that the same code can be used for video file support later on. So even if just hacking an x264 decoder into the device source plugin may be simple, doing it properly may take some more time.

candlehandle

Muf said:
Maybe laterish rather than soonish. H.264 decoding support is something we'd prefer to do with a generic video decoding implementation, so that the same code can be used for video file support later on. So even if just hacking an x264 decoder into the device source plugin may be simple, doing it properly may take some more time.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to keep my eye on the updates. Xsplit is currently running a beta for Roxio users but according to a few people in the beta it's a hot mess right now; lag, stuttering, and low frame rate plague their efforts.