Support for Raspberry Pi 5

kalebludlow

I'd love to hear from anyone that's gotten OBS working in any meaningful capacity on their raspi5. I've done some fiddling with trying to install newer drivers or something but haven't gotten anywhere meaningful. I've tried building it myself but get caught when I can't install the libvpl-dev dependency. Would appreciate any advice

AaronD

I'm watching this too. I built OBS on a Pi 4 a few years ago, and the compositor seemed to keep up with live 1920x1080p60. Encoding that was a massive faceplant. So I'm interested too, to see what it does on the Pi 5.

kalebludlow

So turns out Im big dumb and was using the wrong command. Start OBS using the following after installing it via apt: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 obs

I was able to stream a 1080p30 feed at 4mbps to YouTube and also watch it back at full quality on the raspi5 and spiked at like 80% CPU usage. For software encoding I'm pretty happy with that

dylski

Silly question but how did you install OBS via apt?
"sudo apt install obs" does not find it (and I can't find it with apt search).

I've tried to install it via flathub according to the instructions at https://flathub.org/apps/com.obsproject.Studio with "flatpak install flathub com.obsproject.Studio" but this gives the error:
error: Nothing matches com.obsproject.Studio in remote flathub

rbnman

sudo apt install obs-studio
then start from command line with
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3 obs

Tuna

For those interested. I did a quick test run with the RPI hardware encoder. I only have a Pi400 at hand:

Code:
Encoder benchmark (1920x1080 1000 frames):

Console only:        0m3.212s
With blackbox WM:    0m3.477s
With OBS open:       0m3.597s
With screen capture: 0m4.570s

So it seems it is capable to encode 1920x1080 in a 3-4 ms time frame under good conditions.
The performance however drops _significantly_ when additional graphic applications are running (like a GL cube).
Seems like GPU or GPU IO(?) becomes a severe bottleneck very quickly.

Anyway, I quickly modified obs-vaapi plugin for support for v4l2 encoders. I tried a very short 1080p30 encode in OBS. See attached btop output for the system load. I think it felt apart (encoder overload) as soon as I tried a little more unfortunately.

But interested people may give it a try. Perhaps the Pi5 has such improved architecture that it does not fall into the bottleneck I have seen on the Pi400.

Attachments

• pi.jpg
    pi.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 162
  • obs-vaapi.zip
    38.4 KB · Views: 46

AlpineSkate

I just installed on a PI5 running the ARM version of Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop. All straightforward to install OBS from the repository. Installing and starting OBS done as mentioned by rbnman:

I've currently decided not to test further as there is currently no working ARM version of the plugin "OBS browser", a feature I want.

Anyhow, has anybody tested on Pi5? I'm really interested if it's a viable solution. I wanted to implement what I would imagine is a relatively light setup using vdo.ninja for my cameras, thus the need for "OBS browser" (I don't want to use a screen capture and crop solution to get around this).

wiwo

I just installed on a PI5 running the ARM version of Ubuntu 23.10 Desktop. All straightforward to install OBS from the repository. Installing and starting OBS done as mentioned by rbnman:

I've currently decided not to test further as there is currently no working ARM version of the plugin "OBS browser", a feature I want.

Anyhow, has anybody tested on Pi5? I'm really interested if it's a viable solution. I wanted to implement what I would imagine is a relatively light setup using vdo.ninja for my cameras, thus the need for "OBS browser" (I don't want to use a screen capture and crop solution to get around this).
Certainly! It seems like the command is not working with autostart using gnome-session-properties. Let's see if we can troubleshoot and find a solution.

Cannon Fodder

For my Raspberry PI 5 with 8G Ram, bookworm, I was successful at getting waveform to build and run, but ran into some issues along the way. Hopefully this will help someone else.

** Issue 1) Wrongly installed 32-bit OS.
The 'make' step produced errors around cpu_feature.h reporting use of aarch64 on non-aarch64 system.
Code:
In file included from /home/admin/Downloads/waveform/src/source.cpp:34:
/home/admin/Downloads/waveform/deps/cpu_features/include/cpuinfo_aarch64.h:153:2: error: #error "Including cpuinfo_aarch64.h from a non-aarch64 target."
  153 | #error "Including cpuinfo_aarch64.h from a non-aarch64 target."

FIX: properly install the 64-bit Raspberry PI OS.

** Issue 2) Build Failure around x86 detection on aarch64.
After installing the 64-bit OS, the 'make' again produced errors around cpu_feature.h, but this time:

Code:
In file included from /home/admin/Downloads/waveform/src/source.cpp:34:
/home/admin/Downloads/waveform/deps/cpu_features/include/cpuinfo_x86.h:228:2: error: #error "Including cpuinfo_x86.h from a non-x86 target."
  228 | #error "Including cpuinfo_x86.h from a non-x86 target."

FIX: add the '-D DISABLE_X86_SIMD=1' to the make command.

The end result was a pretty straight-forward sequence of instructions: (some repeated from the github page: https://github.com/phandasm/waveform)
## INSTALLATION STEPS ##

## install build tools
sudo apt-get install build-essential git cmake

## install dependencies
sudo apt-get install libobs-dev libfftw3-dev libfftw3-single3

## install obs from general PI packages.

## clone repo
cd ~/Downloads
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/phandasm/waveform.git

## build in subfolder
mkdir ~/Downloads/waveform/build
cd ~/Downloads/waveform/build

## build
cmake -D DISABLE_X86_SIMD ..
make
make install

Happy Streaming.

PhoebeZeitler

I also am looking to get a Pi5 cluster together for a "studio in a box" solution, that has a non-negotiable need for the OBS Browser source. Has it been made available for ARM yet?

supreet

OBS is running great on raspberry pi 5 (4gb ram) with raspberry pi 64 bit os, I used pi-apps to install it, I have streamed at 720p30 with 40% cpu usage and no dropped frames