Suddenly, without changing any settings, my recordings are corrupted

Takeshino

Only noticed 5 streams in, my recordings are corrupted (at its worst but also usual, it looks like this) Given how it looks, I'm guessing an issue with I-frames. I usually can still play the MP4 remux from .ts on VLC and edit it on DaVinci Resolve while I can't convert the .ts getting this error in Media Encoder. It's especially annoying because there's no setting to go back to - it just happened suddenly. That being said here's an imgur album with my settings (and two extra screenshots of the corruptions). It happened before I upgraded to W11, and I hoped that the upgrade (or GPU driver update) resets something but sadly no such luck. I haven't streamed for a while because of this.

Attachments

• 2021-10-11 14-57-16.txt
    152.9 KB · Views: 37

hildegain

You really have an awful lot going on in that log and perhaps someone who has seen some of that before could make a bit more sense out of it but the thing i want to draw our focus to is the custom NVENC profile in FFMPEG. Does the problem persist using the regular NVenc plugin? Or with a more round number of lookahead frames and keyframes?
Like the last recording attempt shows a lookahead of 32 (30 would probably be better) and a keyframe interval of 59 (if you're using 59.998 fps. 60 interval would be better)
If you're seeing regular corruptions in your video then it does sound like keyframes are unreadable. It was even somewhat common when using the HEVC NVENC plugin... In fact. I just read the log again and saw that you're using it. It's broken.

Edit: Also yeah spotted the .Ts file usage. Do you need to use that format for any specific reason? Seems to have all of the same drawbacks as recording to an MP4 file. Can't you use the matroska (.mkv) container?

Last edited:

Takeshino

You really have an awful lot going on in that log and perhaps someone who has seen some of that before could make a bit more sense out of it but the thing i want to draw our focus to is the custom NVENC profile in FFMPEG. Does the problem persist using the regular NVenc plugin? Or with a more round number of lookahead frames and keyframes?
Like the last recording attempt shows a lookahead of 32 (30 would probably be better) and a keyframe interval of 59 (if you're using 59.998 fps. 60 interval would be better)
If you're seeing regular corruptions in your video then it does sound like keyframes are unreadable. It was even somewhat common when using the HEVC NVENC plugin... In fact. I just read the log again and saw that you're using it. It's broken.

Edit: Also yeah spotted the .Ts file usage. Do you need to use that format for any specific reason? Seems to have all of the same drawbacks as recording to an MP4 file. Can't you use the matroska (.mkv) container?

Yeah, I've a pretty complex set up (sorry for the late reply, I've been really busy this month).
I've been using that profile for a couple of months before the issue cropped up so it's a bit weird. I've recorded some tests with the same settings except I've changed .ts to .mkv, the HEVC to the custom H.264 one and the keyframe interval to 60 and looks like it's fine now, but I do need to bump up the bitrate considerably. I've had the keyframe interval at one second actually, but I guess changing the fps changed that to 59. That means that it's not the source either then.

As for .ts, it's a carryover from when I was using premiere pro to edit since .ts was the only multi-audio-track format that it accepted. It looks like Davinci does accept, so I might just use .mkv without remuxing then.

hildegain

Yeah you do indeed need to use more bits now if you're not using HEVC but it'll help with efficiency if you set a keyframe to every 2-3 seconds. You can go much higher than that (so NVENC only uses a keyframe whenever it feels it needs to) if you're only recording locally and not streaming, though.

Hopefully it remains fine. I had a honeymoon period with the HEVC encoder and it seemed to work great for a while... then I started to notice artifacts and glitches more often after a while. (If only OBS had a good Quicksync HEVC encoder like Bandicam... Then I'd be set.)

I had only assumed corruptions took place in .ts for the same reasons they sometimes do when saving an MP4 goes awry but it may have been fine either way. Still. MKV is much more reliable :)