Question / Help Sudden choppy audio on stream output

Keenzor

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble with audio on my streams. Sometime the sound just suddenly goes to hell like in here - https://youtu.be/5k-KTur0Beg?t=9m35s - I was not able to find any pattern to this yet so I really dunno what the trigger for it is. The only way to fix it is to restart OBS.

The issue appears to be only on the output (both live stream and local recording) since everything sounds fine when I am monitoring the sound in OBS.

Most of the hardware data should be in the log, just gonna add that I am re-routing sound from AKAI Professional EIE PRO through Cubase to OBS via virtual cables, using 3 capture cards (2x AverMedia Live gamer Extreme via USB, 1x Elgato HD60 Pro via PCI).

If you need any additional info just ask. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Regards,
Keen

Attachments

• 2018-02-08 15-57-31.txt
    43 KB · Views: 901

Keenzor

Just a small update, I have digged around a little and found out that it might be a result of Elgato HD60 Pro running in 48.000 Hz mode while I had OBS (and some other audio devices) set up to 44.100 Hz. I have checked our last three streams that had this happen and the issues indeed seems to occure the moment I switch over to a scene with game capture (though it definitely does not occur 100% percent of the time as we had plenty of streams without issues + the sound is fine after I restart OBS).

Either way gonna try this solution and see if the issue returns, if not I will leave a comment here for other who might be having similar issues.

Keenzor

Unfortunately unifying the frequencies did not solve the issue. I will update the thread if I find a solution.

telekenetics

I'm having the same problem, it's impossible to tell it's happening unless someone in chat points it out. It occurs on the stream and in the recorded video (but is fine in the preview). I noticed last time it happened that it seemed to start when I switched scene. I stopped for a break and switched to a scene with a message overlay (stream still running) and when I came back and switched back to the "live" version of the stream the sound went bad.

Keenzor

Haven't found any solutions yet (starting to wonder if ever) but I have at least tracked what triggers the issue. It was not the Elgato capture card but actually the Avermedia LGX (happens with both, so it is not a case of bad hardware). The issue starts when a device (tried with phone (using lightning to HDMI reduction) and Shield TV (just HDMI) is connected to the capture card (and subsequently to OBS) while the program is already running.

Restarting OBS fixes the issue. It also does not happen if the device is already connected to the PC before I start the OBS.

Berdy

I don't know why, but this issue disappear when I changed my video bitrate from 4 000 to 3 500.
Today, after 2 months, I've changed my video bitrate, from 3 500 to 4 000, and the choppy audio was back (always after switching a scene).

Maybe we need to change the video bitrate to solve this problem.

Sorry for my english, I'm french ^^"

HoosierBoy

I just started experiencing this exact issue last week. It happens when I'm simply using game capture and switching between scenes. Restarting OBS solved the issue for me as well, but it's strange because I have been using the same scenes for months, and just now having these issues regularly. I'll try playing with my bitrate, but has anyone found a more permanent solution?

Thanks.

HoosierBoy

I was actually able to resolve this issue a few months ago by going to my list of Sound Devices, and disabling every audio source for both Playback and Recording that I wasn't using. This resolved my issue right on the spot, without having to restart.

Recently I ran into this issue again, went into my sound devices, confirmed that nothing extra was enabled, and then checked to make sure that every device was set to the same Sample Rate for each active device. To do this, right click an audio device, go to the Advanced Tab, and go to default format and set the sample rate. Once all of my active devices were set to the same sample rate, I restarted my computer and have not had an issue since. Hope this helps.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
This kind of artifacting is usually caused by high CPU usage (so check that), but you also want to make sure all your audio devices & OBS are using either 44.1kHz or 48kHz (Settings -> Audio in OBS).

hoffmeyer4

I am so very grateful for this thread. I had the same issue. I am running from a mixer to a Lenovo desktop microphone in for my sound to stream on Youtube. I was having the same problem. I checked my microphone, and saw that it was set to 48K. My OBS was set to 44.1kHz. I changed OBS to match the 48kHz, and the problem is gone! Thank you all for this thread.

xSlader TTV

Did Anyone change the sample rate to match and still has an issue? I am still having this distortion issue in Streamlabs OBS actually. My Elgato sound from my gaming PC is distorting, as well as Music which is taken directly from the streaming PC, My microphone seems to be fine though. Any thoughts or final solutions after almost a year of this thread?

xSlader TTV

Just a small update, I have digged around a little and found out that it might be a result of Elgato HD60 Pro running in 48.000 Hz mode while I had OBS (and some other audio devices) set up to 44.100 Hz. I have checked our last three streams that had this happen and the issues indeed seems to occure the moment I switch over to a scene with game capture (though it definitely does not occur 100% percent of the time as we had plenty of streams without issues + the sound is fine after I restart OBS).

Either way gonna try this solution and see if the issue returns, if not I will leave a comment here for other who might be having similar issues.

I am still having this distortion issue in Streamlabs OBS actually. My Elgato sound from my gaming PC is distorting, as well as Music which is taken directly from the streaming PC, My microphone seems to be fine though. Any thoughts or final solutions after almost a year of this thread?

Spectre

I am experiencing this on my Avermedia Live Gamer 4k but the weird thing is it was only happening on my live scene. I could change to a scene with only the capture source, no other webcams or overlays but all the same audio sources, and the audio was fine. Same if I went to my intermission scene that had the captured footage audio was fine. As soon as I went back to live it was distorted. All the audio settings were the same set at 48hz.

The only thing that I have been able to figure out is this happens if I start OBS before I start the console that is going to be captured. So If I start OBS then afterwards start the xbox, the audio will be distorted. If I start the Xbox first, then OBS everything is fine. Why it was only doing it in one scene though I have no freaking idea. Baffles me.

chrisbraly

We are feeding video & audio through an SDI+USB port on a new Dell machine. It's a powerful beast, and we replaced our older machine with it. The older machine was running perfectly, but needed elsewhere.

After setting up this new machine, and making all the adjustments necessary to make it a performance based CPU, I installed the latest OBS, duplicated the previous machine's settings explicitly.

However, whenever I start the playback of video from our source, the audio plays fine in OBS for about 30-60 seconds, and then pulses off and on at about a half-second interval. The only fix I have so far is restarting the software, but that is not a good fix to have to do every 30 seconds and kill the stream.

Attached is my log file. Please help!

Attachments

• 2020-06-25 13-50-30.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 122

Jeffanney

I was trying to figure out this problem and it turned out that, for us it was some sort of conflict with the OBS Camera app sending video and audio over NDI. When I switched to NDI HX Camera and turned off the audio the choppy audio on the stream cleared right up.
Hope this helps.

jscottsmith

I'm having the exact same issue. Any solutions??? I've found plenty of posts about the problem spanning a few years, but no definitive solution. :/

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble with audio on my streams. Sometime the sound just suddenly goes to hell like in here - https://youtu.be/5k-KTur0Beg?t=9m35s - I was not able to find any pattern to this yet so I really dunno what the trigger for it is. The only way to fix it is to restart OBS.

The issue appears to be only on the output (both live stream and local recording) since everything sounds fine when I am monitoring the sound in OBS.

Most of the hardware data should be in the log, just gonna add that I am re-routing sound from AKAI Professional EIE PRO through Cubase to OBS via virtual cables, using 3 capture cards (2x AverMedia Live gamer Extreme via USB, 1x Elgato HD60 Pro via PCI).

If you need any additional info just ask. I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Regards,
Keen

Tim Moore

Hey guys,

Regards,
Keen
We are having the exact problem with a church feed. Did you find a solution??????