Bug Report Stutter/Lag when inside game, none when out.

Saucy

I've seen this in other recording programs that if you record the process and not just the screen you're stream lags inside game but not when you're out? Any reason for this? Is it fixable?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Please forgive me, but I'm not sure I understood the question. Are you getting some sort of lag in a window you're trying to capture?

Saucy

Yea a loss of frames (or completely freeze) when capturing a game directly (the process) when in game, but when out of the game (alt tabbed) there is no lag what so ever.

Not lag in game, but the stream. I believe it has something to do with prioritizing the CPU to the window capturing software? It seems to be lag free when OBS is actively selected.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Sorry for not responding right away, been busy. Uploaded 0.341a with new network code. Also an experimental version with a modification to network code that could provide better throughput. Please try them both and let me know which one is better.

More network code changes probably coming in the future as well.

Also, it doesn't lag outside of games because there are no images changes, like when you're in windows, the image on screen stays exactly the same for a long time, which will mean it can compress super small. When in game, and the images are moving, it will have to accommodate for the moving images, so it can generate lag if you don't have the bandwidth to sustain it