Bug Report Streaming on a Mac - READ THIS

Boldegg

UPDATE (2019-08-20): I've been using the same overlay and added lots of scenes, videos, transitions and other stuff and I never got an issue using OBS on a Windows computer. The problem really comes from the Mac application that isn't optimized with Apple's hardware. OBS Project team should advise this on the download page and write somewhere that the Mac version is in beta. Some people will choose a Windows computer instead of a Mac knowing this. This is what I would have done. Been obligated to sell the mac for 2000$. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I've been streaming with OBS on a Mac since 2015 and I have gathered a lot of experience through the years and hopefully this post will save you quite some time. First I have to say that yes OBS is responsive on helping on their Discord but I have to say that no matter what help they can provide it won't help the fact OBS on Mac is an optimized tool. So in the end there are no fix but just runarounds that WILL impact the end quality of your product. By product I mean the resulting stream that will end up on Twitch.

Config:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
CPU - 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory - 32 Go 1600 MHz DDR3
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 Mo
SSD HDD Soldered On Board

1. Frames missed due to rendering lag
2. Capturing audio
3. Capture card
4. Webcam
5. Chat Bot and Stream Labs

This is definitely the major downside of OBS Mac. I'm writing this post and the current OBS Mac version is 23.0. for reference. As you can see in my config, it's a decent computer to run a heavy and demanding stream setup. No matter how good your computer is, you WILL get missed frames due to rendering lag if you're using more than one scene with heavy customizations. Heavy customizations means a combination of, webcam capture, video backgrounds, window capture and scene integration.

At this point you probably know it. If you noticed lag, like your mouse cursor lagging, you can verify this by going into "View > Stats" and see that the "Average time to render" is easily over 10 ms, causing the "FPS" to drop below 30.00. Causing the percentage and number of missed frames at "Frames missed due to rendering lag" to be in orange or red. This is what makes the computer and video output to lag.

The only thing that'll remove all the stutter, skipping, lag, etc (apart of removing the bells and whistles of your overlay) is to keep a maximum of 1 scene per Scene Collection. Thing is that all scenes remains activated in the background so you can transition between scenes. As you have probably noticed anyway the transitions lags terribly on OBS Mac and are unusable. By the way in a Source properties checking the "Hide source when playback ends" and "Close file when inactive" will not help at all. So yes you'll understand that you can't have transition between your scenes because when changing to another "Scene Collection" gives a black screen for few seconds while loading. So if you want your overlay with all it's bells and whistles you'll never have smooth transition. It do looks bad while streaming and yes you're currently disappointed. But this is the only option to reduce to maximum lag and stutter.

The other option keep your scenes and transitions but unfortunately doesn't reduce completely the lag. For me it's a no go as it's still lagging and it's forcing me to stream in 720p. Also these are the only video options that'll reduce the missed frames. Well here are the steps:

Preferences > Video > Base (Canvas) Resolution > 1280x720
Preferences > Video > Output (Scaled) Resolution > 1280x720
Downscale Filter > Bilinear
Common FPS Values > 30 FPS

2. Capturing audio

Capturing audio on a Mac is probably one of the most frustrating things you'll encounter. Capturing the whole system output isn't something you want too. You probably already tried Soundflower, WaveTap or IShowU and you're probably limited and/or disappointed. These applications have been a nightmare to me.

I was about to rethink streaming on a Mac until I found out about Sound Siphon. It's a paid app but at least this one works and you get great support if it doesn't. Best investment in years on my Mac. It just works with any app you throw at it. It also works capturing the browser source audio in OBS itself. *Be careful to never use the option "All Audio" in Sound Siphon it won't be able to capture stuff like browser sources audio in OBS for your alerts or SFX, etc. Manually add all applications you want sound from one by one. I also suggest you make a different "Virtual Input Device" for your microphone, so you'll be able to mute your microphone in OBS without muting the rest like your background music for example.

https://staticz.com/soundsiphon/

3. Capture card

Forget about your Elgato or any cheap capture card out there. It'll not work decently in OBS and will add up to your nightmare list. The only capture card that works in OBS is the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. Save some money and get the USB3 version as the Thunderbolt won't help. Also the Thunderbolt can't capture another Mac/Computer because these aren't valid video signals. The USB3 version of the same card can for some reasons.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

4. Webcam

I use a Logitech BRIO webcam and it sucks, but it sucks less than other webcams out there. First thing, no you can't run it in 4K, it'll lag and desync. Also remember to always redo the settings in the Logitech application "Camera Settings". The settings reset after each reboot, yes this is bad. Here are the steps to get the maximum quality for your webcam.

Webcam Source Properties:
Resolution > 1920x1080
Frame rate > 30 FPS
Input format > YUY2
Color space > Rec. 709
Video range > Partial
Uncheck Use Buffering

Camera Settings Application:
Image > Widescreen
HDR > Off
Anti flicker for NA > NTSC 60Hz
Anti flicker for EU > PAL 50Hz
Brightness > 50%
Contrast > 50%
Auto focus > Off
Color intensity > 50%
Auto white balance > On

*You can also add juste a little sharpening in OBS, I use 0,05 personally. Only add sharpening if you have a perfect lighting setup, otherwise this will make the grain and artefacts of the webcam to pop more on screen.

There's no Mac application for the Streamlabs Chat Bot. Now you can run it in the cloud on Stream Labs website but it's really limited. This will only suits you if your streaming project is rather simple and straightforward. It's also far away from being a future proof solution. After trying almost all bots out there, the one and only I can recommend is Phantom Bot. Learn it you won't regret it. It's a great combination with Stream Labs for the rest. Also don't forget to install the mac application "Stream Labs Stream Labels" to use while streaming so you can check the alerts notification if you miss it.

Last edited:

EnzoCast

The only thing that'll remove all the stutter, skipping, lag, etc (apart of removing the bells and whistles of your overlay) is to keep a maximum of 1 scene per Scene Collection. Thing is that all scenes remains activated in the background so you can transition between scenes. As you have probably noticed anyway the transitions lags terribly on OBS Mac and are unusable. By the way in a Source properties checking the "Hide source when playback ends" and "Close file when inactive" will not help at all. So yes you'll understand that you can't have transition between your scenes because when changing to another "Scene Collection" gives a black screen for few seconds while loading. So if you want your overlay with all it's bells and whistles you'll never have smooth transition. It do looks bad while streaming and yes you're currently disappointed. But this is the only option to reduce to maximum lag and stutter.
I'm gonna give this a try. I've been experiencing OBS lag while just having the app open and also when streaming too.
I've been attempting to bring it to someones attention - OBS Lag Post

Boldegg

I'm gonna give this a try. I've been experiencing OBS lag while just having the app open and also when streaming too.
I've been attempting to bring it to someones attention - OBS Lag Post

Basically you can't bring anything to their attention. There's nothing you can do. It would lag with a 12 000$ iMac Pro because OBS on Mac isn't optimized. The program needs a rewrite. They should say OBS for Mac is in alpha state.

EnzoCast

By the way in a Source properties checking the "Hide source when playback ends" and "Close file when inactive" will not help at all.
I've been checking these boxes in hope they make a difference. How did you figure out they don't work?

Boldegg

I've been checking these boxes in hope they make a difference. How did you figure out they don't work?

Just checking or unchecking all of them on all my scenes and absolutely no change in lag. It seems like the computer can process correctly multiple heavy scenes at once but it's OBS that is going crazy slow due to poor optimization with mac hardware. That's my theory.

puffin

Hi everyone, I've been streaming with OBS on a Mac since 2015 and I have gathered a lot of experience through the years and hopefully this post will save you quite some time. First I have to say that yes OBS is responsive on helping on their Discord but I have to say that no matter what help they can provide it won't help the fact OBS on Mac is an optimized tool. So in the end there are no fix but just runarounds that WILL impact the end quality of your product. By product I mean the resulting stream that will end up on Twitch.

Config:

2. Capturing audio
3. Capture card
4. Webcam

This is definitely the major downside of OBS Mac. I'm writing this post and the current OBS Mac version is 23.0. for reference. As you can see in my config, it's a decent computer to run a heavy and demanding stream setup. No matter how good your computer is, you WILL get missed frames due to rendering lag if you're using more than one scene with heavy customizations. Heavy customizations means a combination of, webcam capture, video backgrounds, window capture and scene integration.

At this point you probably know it. If you noticed lag, like your mouse cursor lagging, you can verify this by going into "View > Stats" and see that the "Average time to render" is easily over 10 ms, causing the "FPS" to drop below 30.00. Causing the percentage and number of missed frames at "Frames missed due to rendering lag" to be in orange or red. This is what makes the computer and video output to lag.

The other option keep your scenes and transitions but unfortunately doesn't reduce completely the lag. For me it's a no go as it's still lagging and it's forcing me to stream in 720p. Also these are the only video options that'll reduce the missed frames. Well here are the steps:

2. Capturing audio

Capturing audio on a Mac is probably one of the most frustrating things you'll encounter. Capturing the whole system output isn't something you want too. You probably already tried Soundflower, WaveTap or IShowU and you're probably limited and/or disappointed. These applications have been a nightmare to me.

I was about to rethink streaming on a Mac until I found out about Sound Siphon. It's a paid app but at least this one works and you get great support if it doesn't. Best investment in years on my Mac. It just works with any app you throw at it. It also works capturing the browser source audio in OBS itself. *Be careful to never use the option "All Audio" in Sound Siphon it won't be able to capture stuff like browser sources audio in OBS for your alerts or SFX, etc. Manually add all applications you want sound from one by one. I also suggest you make a different "Virtual Input Device" for your microphone, so you'll be able to mute your microphone in OBS without muting the rest like your background music for example.

3. Capture card

Forget about your Elgato or any cheap capture card out there. It'll not work decently in OBS and will add up to your nightmare list. The only capture card that works in OBS is the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. Save some money and get the USB3 version as the Thunderbolt won't help. Also the Thunderbolt can't capture another Mac/Computer because these aren't valid video signals. The USB3 version of the same card can for some reasons.

4. Webcam

I use a Logitech BRIO webcam and it sucks, but it sucks less than other webcams out there. First thing, no you can't run it in 4K, it'll lag and desync. Also remember to always redo the settings in the Logitech application "Camera Settings". The settings reset after each reboot, yes this is bad. Here are the steps to get the maximum quality for your webcam.

Resolution > 1920x1080
Frame rate > 30 FPS
Input format > YUY2
Color space > Rec. 709
Video range > Partial
Uncheck Use Buffering

Image > Widescreen
HDR > Off
Brightness > 50%
Contrast > 50%
Auto focus > Off
Color intensity > 50%
Auto white balance > On

*You can also add juste a little sharpening in OBS, I use 0,05 personally. Only add sharpening if you have a perfect lighting setup, otherwise this will make the grain and artefacts of the webcam to pop more on screen.

There's no Mac application for the Streamlabs Chat Bot. Now you can run it in the cloud on Stream Labs website but it's really limited. This will only suits you if your streaming project is rather simple and straightforward. It's also far away from being a future proof solution. After trying almost all bots out there, the one and only I can recommend is Phantom Bot. Learn it you won't regret it. It's a great combination with Stream Labs for the rest. Also don't forget to install the mac application "Stream Labs Stream Labels" to use while streaming so you can check the alerts notification if you miss it.

When you say: " Save some money and get the USB3 version as the Thunderbolt won't help" ... What do you mean by "Thunderbolt won't help?"

Boldegg

When you say: " Save some money and get the USB3 version as the Thunderbolt won't help" ... What do you mean by "Thunderbolt won't help?"

On paper Thunderbolt gets better transfer rates than USB3. Although for capturing a console or a computer you won't see any differences between Thunderbolt and UBS3. Also the Thunderbolt cost more money and apparently you can't capture a computer signal with the Thunderbolt version.

puffin

On paper Thunderbolt gets better transfer rates than USB3. Although for capturing a console or a computer you won't see any differences between Thunderbolt and UBS3. Also the Thunderbolt cost more money and apparently you can't capture a computer signal with the Thunderbolt version.

Ahh I understand...I can't use USB 3.0 as my older imac only has thunderbolt and usb 2.0

marcbollinger

I'm having an issue that I suspect is #1 Frames Missed, but I'm not sure. When I record or stream, my video inputs (I have 2) suddenly go dark for about 3 seconds and then come back. Sometimes, I see a beachball during this, other times I don't.

MacBook Pro 15" 2019

HDMI Capture + Logitech Brio.
Brio is attached via USB-C to USB-C
HDMI Capture via USB-C hub

Any ideas? It's only happening on OBS - Wirecast works perfectly (but the software sucks)

Narcogen

Just a few personal observations of my own on this topic.

1) Generally speaking the GPUs in most Macs you can buy are worse than those in PCs at similar price points.

2) Even when the GPU is good, if you aren't talking about an old tower where you can put in your own discrete GPU, the card is almost certainly an AMD card which performs less well than an Nvidia card of similar price.

3) NVENC and AMF are unavailable in MacOS *at all* as far as I can see, although it has been mentioned that the Apple hardware encoder will use AMD encoders on some cards. I have not had any good results with this. However none of these perform as well as NVENC. The reason here is in the drivers and the OS and in underlying libraries like FFMpeg-- not in OBS itself.

4) Window capture is the least performant capture method in MacOS because of the OS. If you regularly use it, instead of syphon or display capture or external capture devices, OBS will perform significantly less well than the same scene collection on Windows.

5) Game capture doesn't exist on MacOS, and the closest equivalent, Syphon Inject, does not work in Mojave and above and may never work.

6) Audio capture requires 3rd party software because of how MacOS handles audio; the default device capture that is used on Windows simply would not function. I would personally recommend Rogue Amoeba's LoopBack as a solution for this, as I find it preferable to the other listed options, although it is more expensive. It is currently the closest thing on MacOS to Voicemeeter, and in some ways is superior as it allows for the simple creation of any number of arbitrary virtual device without additional software installations. Using LoopBack in MacOS makes audio routing much easier either than vanilla MacOS or in Windows with Voicemeeter without using a DAW.

There are a lot of drawbacks in using Macs for streaming. All other things being equal, in most cases, on the same hardware, you'll get better performance and more features running on Windows or even Linux.

That said, having used both for years I would disagree that OBS is less stable on MacOS or is deserving of being called a beta. It is less performant on the same hardware, but so is the OS itself. It is less feature-filled, but most of these missing features are due to underlying deficiencies in libraries or the OS itself. In other regards, OBS is at feature parity in each of its versions.

Boldegg

6) Audio capture requires 3rd party software because of how MacOS handles audio; the default device capture that is used on Windows simply would not function. I would personally recommend Rogue Amoeba's LoopBack as a solution for this, as I find it preferable to the other listed options, although it is more expensive. It is currently the closest thing on MacOS to Voicemeeter, and in some ways is superior as it allows for the simple creation of any number of arbitrary virtual device without additional software installations. Using LoopBack in MacOS makes audio routing much easier either than vanilla MacOS or in Windows with Voicemeeter without using a DAW.

This software is double the price of Sound Siphon and it does the same thing. Even the interface is the same. I would not recommend LoopBack for anyone reading this. I suggest people do their own research on the 2 softwares so they know exactly what and why they're buying it. Although it's great you showed us a new software in the case Sound Siphon is unavailable one day. Always great to have alternatives.

That said, having used both for years I would disagree that OBS is less stable on MacOS or is deserving of being called a beta. It is less performant on the same hardware, but so is the OS itself. It is less feature-filled, but most of these missing features are due to underlying deficiencies in libraries or the OS itself. In other regards, OBS is at feature parity in each of its versions.

I understand your point of view but in the end it gives the same result as not being stable on MacOS. You just gave a more "tech" version of what I was trying to say. In the end it I would just not encourage people buying a Mac computer if it's for streaming purposes. If you already have a Mac this guide will clearly help you.

Narcogen

I think Sound Siphon gained a bunch of features in 3.x that it didn't have earlier that have brought it more or less to feature parity with LoopBack 2.x and up. I own both, but I use LoopBack and so didn't have the need to upgrade Siphon. YMMV.

On the last point-- less performant is not less stable. These are two distinct things.

I absolutely do agree with you-- if what you have is a Mac and you have to stream or record on it, it's possible (in most cases) to do this acceptably with OBS if one is aware of the limitations and caveats.

If you're shopping for a machine to use for streaming or recording, and you want to use OBS, then most likely you're not looking at a Mac. But most of the reasons have to do with MacOS and not OBS. Given what Apple is doing to MacOS it's amazing that OBS still functions at all., and that may not be the case for too much longer.

Calling it an unstable beta, to me, sounds like an uncalled-for ding on the volunteer developers of free, open source software-- none of whom even own a Mac as far as I know of.

prado

OBS is fully working on latest MacOS Catalina Beta (19A546d), including capturing audio and video

But it need to be started from command line.

On any Terminal window, start it with the command below:

/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS

Give camera and mic/audio permissions when asked (just on the first run) and it's all set.

Last edited:

DaveHo

OBS is fully working on latest MacOS Catalina Beta (19A546d), including capturing audio and video

But it need to be started from command line.

On any Terminal window, start it with the command below:

/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS

Give camera and mic/audio permissions when asked (just on the first run) and it's all set.

Ok? 3 months later.. can ANYBODY confirm this is true?

hnasr

UPDATE (2019-08-20): I've been using the same overlay and added lots of scenes, videos, transitions and other stuff and I never got an issue using OBS on a Windows computer. The problem really comes from the Mac application that isn't optimized with Apple's hardware. OBS Project team should advise this on the download page and write somewhere that the Mac version is in beta. Some people will choose a Windows computer instead of a Mac knowing this. This is what I would have done. Been obligated to sell the mac for 2000$. Good luck!

Config:

2. Capturing audio
3. Capture card
4. Webcam

2. Capturing audio

3. Capture card

4. Webcam

Resolution > 1920x1080
Frame rate > 30 FPS
Input format > YUY2
Color space > Rec. 709
Video range > Partial
Uncheck Use Buffering

Image > Widescreen
HDR > Off
Brightness > 50%
Contrast > 50%
Auto focus > Off
Color intensity > 50%
Auto white balance > On

I had to register on the forum just so I thank you for saving me lot of money. I have been running on lagging issues with OBS with my Mac for the past 6 months and the main reason was as you said I had so many scenes that I wasn’t even using that were loading on the background. Thinking its my machine I had to go to 720p just to avoid the lag. I was so close to buy a new mac when I found your post and went and created a scenecollection with only what I need and boom all is normal!

My mac was late 2015 4 core i7 16 GB RAM. So I was really surprised when I saw the lag.

thanks again!