Bug Report OBS 23.0.1Freezes System or Crashes Mojave 10.14.3

BambooCactus

I've had this issue for the past few OBS versions, such that I'll just uninstall immediately and go back to my BootCamp partition, which I'd rather not do.

Upon launching OBS on Mac, the entire system freezes up for around 3 minutes. Then once the sources start loading into the scene, everything locks up again for another 3-5 minutes. Sometimes when launching OBS, it just crashes straight away and quits.

I'm not gaming or doing window capture, all I'm trying to do is stream one camera (iPhone connected via OBS Camera app and USB) and OBS can't accomplish that on Mac without crashing or freezing the entire system.

Specs:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

Most recent log files:
https://obsproject.com/logs/zGcKWLYU16gPq92O
https://obsproject.com/logs/jnZ3Ijx2vyBvTCc4

EnzoCast

You aren't. I had a similar issue when 22.0 got released. I just gave up streaming for a while. Until I done a complete re-install of the MacOS - which fixed it. I'm not getting small freezing issues with 23.0.1 - 23.0.0 seemed fine though. I do not want to reinstall MacOS to have to fix this issue again!

I'm not getting the beach ball for doing something as simple as trying to mute an audio source

If anyone wants to have a look - I'll add my log here too. I'm running MacOS 10.14.3

Attachments

• 2019-03-15 15-32-33.txt
    11 KB · Views: 61

EnzoCast

I asked some people on the OBS Discord and someone looked at my logfile and suggested it was a browser source that was causing the issue. I have removed that browser source but I'm still getting the same issue. I just did a stream there and I can't again Stop Streaming because it just beech balls! I'll upload my new logfile and see if anyone has information on this.

It also was suggested for me to chaeck my GPU usage and I've logged that and will show that here too. I hope some of this info might help others but for me it's still not fixed.

I've got v23.0.0 I might downgrade and see if this fixes the issue next.
Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 12.22.32.png

Attachments

• 2019-03-16 11-36-22.txt
    9.6 KB · Views: 25

EnzoCast

I've had this issue for the past few OBS versions, such that I'll just uninstall immediately and go back to my BootCamp partition, which I'd rather not do.

Upon launching OBS on Mac, the entire system freezes up for around 3 minutes. Then once the sources start loading into the scene, everything locks up again for another 3-5 minutes. Sometimes when launching OBS, it just crashes straight away and quits.

I'm not gaming or doing window capture, all I'm trying to do is stream one camera (iPhone connected via OBS Camera app and USB) and OBS can't accomplish that on Mac without crashing or freezing the entire system.

Specs:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB

Most recent log files:
https://obsproject.com/logs/zGcKWLYU16gPq92O
https://obsproject.com/logs/jnZ3Ijx2vyBvTCc4

I ran your logfiles through the analyzer and it seems you might want to look into this - link

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 13.28.26.png
    Screenshot 2019-03-16 at 13.28.26.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 147

Krumelur

I have the same issues here. Makes using the Mac very hard while running a stream. The system would constantly freeze for a couple of seconds. I'm running this on a 2018 Mac mini with 32GB of RAM, 6 core I7 with an SSD. CPU usage is not changing when the machine freezes. OBS is using 80% (of one core). I have analysed my log files using the link above and there are no issues detected.

When not streaming I can see the same freeze effect when selecting any files in OBS (for example browse for an image). Every time I select a new folder there's a 3 second delay.

If there's any way of providing support to fix this, feel free to contact me.

EnzoCast

Here is a followup on this issue. I've been on Discord and had several suggestions and done then all. I still have the same issue. I'm going to upload my recent log file which shows zero issues. Yet the freezing is still happening when I try and do anything within OBS. Sometimes it freezes for 3 seconds, sometimes minutes.

It doesn't feel like there is much feedback on the forums? Or is that just me...

Attachments

• 2019-03-24 16-58-27.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 30

EnzoCast

I've started from scratch!

I've built a new Scene Collection. I'm adding Sources one by one to see how much of an affect it have on the issue of freezing while streaming.
So far I can run a stream with minimum freezing (only a one or two second beach ball) - here's whats in the Scene:

Game Capture (720)
Game Audio Capture
External Mixing Desk with Two Audio Channels
One PNG Overlay Image

Once I add in another image which is a camera overlay, then also the Logitech c920. It goes back to freezing. So as far as I can tell it's the amount of content you have within your Scene that (might) be causing the issue. This isn't good news (if true), it means running a very bare minimum stream with one of two elements outside of the Game+Game Audio capture.

Now I don't know if this has something to do with how MacOS handles memory allocation or usage or it's how OBS handles these elements but I hope there will be some feedback on this issue soon.