Question / Help Streaming a webpage with a changing title

trusmoov

I'm trying to stream a Firefox window. I think that the problem is that the title of the webpage is constantly changing. When I try to add the Firefox window (after choosing from the dropdown menu) it doesn't display because the titles no longer match.
The only solution I've found so far is to stream the whole monitor, which I don't really want to do.

I'm probably just having a blonde moment, but is there a way to stream Firefox/Chrome without it having to look at the title of the webpage.

Thanks in advance :)

Xphome

trusmoov said:
I'm trying to stream a Firefox window. I think that the problem is that the title of the webpage is constantly changing. When I try to add the Firefox window (after choosing from the dropdown menu) it doesn't display because the titles no longer match.
The only solution I've found so far is to stream the whole monitor, which I don't really want to do.

I'm probably just having a blonde moment, but is there a way to stream Firefox/Chrome without it having to look at the title of the webpage.

Thanks in advance :)
You could use Monitor Capture and limit it to the area the window covers.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yea, this is actually a difficult thing to deal with for window capture, it's a bit annoying. Perhaps if there was a hotkey to capture the topmost window like with game capture, maybe that would be a bit easier? What do you think?

The way i got it to work with chrome is to pull out the tab you try to capture.
So that it will run on its own. And you can have other browserwindows open and browse without any problem.
I can and sometime use youtube playlists and stream the video in a small window besides my cam while playing.
It goes to other videos without any problem or black screen.
I'm doing this with windowcapture with subregion. but it works equally well without subregion but you will see also the borders of the browser window.

Not sure if this is what you mean tho.

xD4rkFire

I think the Simple Scene Switcher plugin has an option that could be sort of used as an idea on fixing window capture. I think the problem with the window capture is that web browsers change their window title every time you change a tab and OBS can't find the window because the title has changed.

There's an option that you can disable named "Match exact window name". Using this allows the scene switcher to still track Google Chrome even if I switch tabs.

lPcnsQc.png

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well, it first tries to do an exact match, and if the window isn't found, it tries to do a match based upon the window class (for example it will first try a chrome window with the exact same name, and if that fails, it will try any chrome window)

So would a simple solution not be to make a shortcut on the desktop to that specific website and make a window capture of the initial page of that shortcut. And then capture/start obs before running any playlists?
I guess that would be the easyest solution that i can think of and it seems to work fine like that (after testing it quickly)