Question / Help Stream Was Fine for Months. Now, Dropped Frames and Unstable Bitrate!

EJ3CTA

Hello,

I've been streaming for the last few months at 1080p/30fps with a bit rate of 6000 kbps with no issues. The stream as been high quality and the displayed bitrate on OBS was solid. All of that changed a couple of weeks ago. My bitrate is bouncing all over the place and I'm seeing a large amount of dropped frames. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this issue to no avail. I even did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 thinking that it might have been an update that caused it. The day before yesterday I made a rule within my firewall to allow traffic through Port 1935 and that seemed to help. However, the next day it was behaving like it had before, but the rule was still in place.

I'm attaching a log file which contains close to 17 minutes of a test stream that I just performed at 720p/60fps with a bit rate of 4000.
https://obsproject.com/logs/AOV_6uofvFRN3AM8

I upgraded to a 1gb service with hopes that it would solve my problem, but it didn't. My internet connection is fast, according to speedtest.net. The current speed is 698.85 Mbps/31.79 Mbps. When the tech was here on Thursday, his meter verified that I was receiving 980 Mbps/35 Mbps. I purchased a new modem today because I'm not too sure about the one they provide. It's a Netgear Nighthawk CM1200.

I ran a test on testmy.net and it is telling me that my speeds are 254.2 Mbps/2.4 Mbps...!

If anyone could offer some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sukiyucky

You can't just buy a new cable modem and plug it in and expect things to run. You have to call the Internet Service Provider to provision (set up the modem) to work with their service. Also note that when you use Gigabit service, your ISP may require you to use a cable modem only that they support.

Call your ISP up and before you do have your MAC address of the cable modem and the manufacturer and model number ready to give to them.

EJ3CTA

You can't just buy a new cable modem and plug it in and expect things to run. You have to call the Internet Service Provider to provision (set up the modem) to work with their service. Also note that when you use Gigabit service, your ISP may require you to use a cable modem only that they support.

Call your ISP up and before you do have your MAC address of the cable modem and the manufacturer and model number ready to give to them.

Hahaha! That was taken care of earlier this evening. I even called before I purchased the modem to ensure that it was compatible with their service. The modem is up and running. Hence the results from the speed test I posted.

I appreciate the reply, though!

Sukiyucky

This not an OBS problem.
01:16:59.311: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 8241 (13.2%)

Why did you decide to switch to another gigabit cable modem? You and the tech verified that you were getting very good 980Mbps up and 35Mbps down. Did you not run a test stream with OBS with that first modem to see if it worked before posting this thread?

Your log says you are trying to stream at 720p, 30FPS, 4Mbps. That ain't going to work on a 2Mbps upload on your Netgear cable modem.

If you want your Netgear cable modem to work, go talk to your ISP and provision the modem again. Or, go back to your first modem the cable company provided and have them provision again. Either way, this is a network issue that we can't solve, only you can.

EJ3CTA

This not an OBS problem.
01:16:59.311: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 8241 (13.2%)

Why did you decide to switch to another gigabit cable modem? You and the tech verified that you were getting very good 980Mbps up and 35Mbps down. Did you not run a test stream with OBS with that first modem to see if it worked before posting this thread?

Your log says you are trying to stream at 720p, 30FPS, 4Mbps. That ain't going to work on a 2Mbps upload on your Netgear cable modem.

If you want your Netgear cable modem to work, go talk to your ISP and provision the modem again. Or, go back to your first modem the cable company provided and have them provision again. Either way, this is a network issue that we can't solve, only you can.

Yes, I did try to run OBS while the tech was at my house after he verified that I was receiving 980Mbps down and 35 Mbps up. I experienced the same results. An unstable bitrate and dropped frames.

I decided to purchase the CM1200 because a lot of Hitron modems use the PUMA 6 chipset which is known to have issues with packet loss. Also, the modems provided by Spectrum are known to have issues. The tech had to grab a replacement for the new modem he brought because it didn’t work.

My log says I was trying to stream at 720p, 60 FPS @4000 kbps. Up until two weeks ago I was able to stream at 1080p, 30 FPS @6000 kbps with no problems.

As I stated in my original post, I have tried troubleshooting this problem thoroughly. I posted here hoping to see if someone has had a similar issue and were able to find a solution.

Have a nice day.