Question / Help Stream/Render lag if game FPS is too high

pookievideo

Hi. I have been streaming for a very long time and can normally troubleshoot this stuff myself, however I just had a major hardware change. I moved from Intel to AMD and because the hardware change was so dramatic, there may be something I am just not seeing.

So to simplify what I am experiencing. When either streaming or recording a game while my frame rate is VERY high in game. I am getting lag in preview and stream or recording. To work around the issue I can lower my frames in game and the problem smooths out. It doesn't have to be all the way down to 60FPS. Example in No Man's Sky if I am at over 200fps, I can lower the frames in game to say 100 and then I don't get any stutters or lag during capture. I am using NVENC.

The reason I brought this problem here is this. I have been using Intel, and older video cards and this problem didn't happen even with high frames over 150 and such. My intel 4970K with a 980ti then upgraded 1080ti never had this problem, and when I upgraded to a i9-7920X with that same 1080ti I didn't have the problem. I recently got tired of the oven heat of the intel processor I was running and wanted a smaller rig. So I went with the AMD 3900X and I got the 2080 Super because I never go over 1080p anyway and it fit nicely in the case whereas my 1080ti would not. The system is great, runs everything amazing. Everything is perfect to me, but this one problem is occurring.

Since I wasn't sure if there was something special to pay attention to with the AMD or if the new 2080 Super architecture might be the issue I figured I should ask, so I don't spend hours not sure what I was looking for.

I included the log here. I recorded Remnant and No Man's Sky a bit. I recorded both games with high FPS around 200fps and also at lower FPS I believe I locked remnant at 60fps and NMS at 110. I see in the log I have render lag/stalls and I could also see the frames at the bottom of OBS telling me I was getting like 45-55fps while I was playing. The FPS at the bottom smoothed to solid 60 and stopped bouncing when I lowered it in game. I really hope I don't have to limit my FPS in game. I stream a lot of shooters as well and more FPS is always better for me at least in shooters.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2019-08-17 06-43-24.txt
    25.6 KB · Views: 142

koala

You have a media source on drive F:. In case this is on a remote drive (NAS for example): put the file locally on a local medium. There are reports that rendering in OBS is slowed considerably if media sources are not located on a local drive.

In case this is already on a local drive: I assume your computer is brand new. Please start GPU-Z and post a screenshot of the first tab. This is to see if your graphics card is actually running on pci-e speed x16.

pookievideo

Gonna change the media source. It is a local drive, which was never a problem before but i will change it. Here is CPU-Z

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 312

koala

I wanted a screenshot of GPU-Z, not CPU-Z, but it seems it also shows the information I meant in the 2nd picture. In that case, your graphics card is seated and connected properly.

pookievideo

It's just strange. It's not game specific. It's the frames. Like OBS is having trouble capturing them if they are too high. The game is not lagging and all of my resources are fine. My CPU barely inches above 12% total usage worst case. Ram never gets swamped and is at correct speed. Temps are fine. Hard drives are not full and fine SSDs. No network problems. Everything is running silky smooth. It's like things are running so good that because I am at very high that OBS can't keep up or something? Games like CS:GO that get insane FPS at 1080p will do it. Enable VSync or cap fps lower and it smooths out. Just a little stumped.

archlord2k3

did u update windows ? @pookievideo i did the same thing this week and i am getting some memory leaks going on cant seem to find out why
one moment i was streaming sooo good then next overloaded encoder
i just came from a stream that the guy said he updated windows and started to get problems

pookievideo

did u update windows ? @pookievideo i did the same thing this week and i am getting some memory leaks going on cant seem to find out why
one moment i was streaming sooo good then next overloaded encoder
i just came from a stream that the guy said he updated windows and started to get problems
Fresh, clean install of Windows. Activated and updated. Latest drivers, bios all that good stuff. Tried gaming mode on and off. Disabled and enabled on the xbox recording stuff. Made sure there was nothing in startup that was causing some weird lag or something. Cannot see what is causing a "problem". For all intents and purposes the computer is setup like a gem. Absolutely everything is running amazing. Even OBS is doing better with the upgrade IF I reduce my frame rate. Like this one issue it literally the only problem I am having.

archlord2k3

Fresh, clean install of Windows. Activated and updated. Latest drivers, bios all that good stuff. Tried gaming mode on and off. Disabled and enabled on the xbox recording stuff. Made sure there was nothing in startup that was causing some weird lag or something. Cannot see what is causing a "problem". For all intents and purposes the computer is setup like a gem. Absolutely everything is running amazing. Even OBS is doing better with the upgrade IF I reduce my frame rate. Like this one issue it literally the only problem I am having.
I see. yea idk wat it is. I saw a stream today for wow and the guy had some problems with his stream also. i am sure its a memory leak of some kind or windows has some kind of bad coding

pookievideo

Okay I have figured out the cause. This never happened with my 980ti or my 1080ti. So with my 2080 Super using Nvenc new or Nvenc old, the GPU gets maxed out with really high FPS. I confirmed it several times using No Man's Sky. When no man's sky is at 110FPS major lag. I included a screen shot. You can see the GPU is over 98% maxed and the FPS on OBS is under 60fps. The second screen shot, I have lowered the frames in nms to only 106, and the GPU is not maxed out at only 93% BUT I don't drop frames. Though I will admit the GPU is being used pretty heavy. A change in just 4fps makes it bad. Anything over 110 has the same result.

I included a new log of my last session. I switched back and forth between Nvenc New and Nvenc cycled from 160 fps to lower frames. Even just sitting in the menu it happens. Well now I know the video card is being maxed out but why? I mean it's not like the 2080 Super is a wimpy card and my older cards never did it.

Attachments

• 2019-08-18 22-58-21.txt
    36.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 106FPSarrows.jpg
    106FPSarrows.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 160FPSarrows.jpg
    160FPSarrows.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 116

pookievideo

what u mean load ur overlay from a single browser source?
i am pretty sure we know everything else which mentioning it doesnt help
still doesnt explain much about overload gpu
i for one i cant use gpu encoder cuz my game that i play takes 60-80% gpu which never did that but i am sure its the game most recent update.

this is wat mines looks like
Personally I would ignore that user. He literally made his account 18 minutes before his reply to me and his answer was common copy pasted garbage that was no help. Not to mention his spam for a McDonald survey. He clearly didn't read the post or the first thing he listed wouldn't be.
  1. Use your Graphics Card for Encoding. ...

pookievideo

It is hard for me to experiment on everything. The 2080 Super is supposed to have much better encoding technology than former generations. So this shouldn't be happening as my older cards have never done it. I have always used Nvenc since my move to Twitch. 3 years every single day and no Nvenc problems. Moved to the supposedly better encoding hardware and now this.

I fully understand that my card is getting overloaded to the max so no room for encoding. A little confused because I thought the whole point of GPU encoding was there was no impact on you frames as the encoder was it's own separate thing. If I am right and my guess is that the card is slammed because of max settings at 1080p. Then things like Ultra settings may be adding to the problem. I will try lowering my graphics quality. This may free up resources and all my to keep my FPS. Worth a shot.

archlord2k3

It is hard for me to experiment on everything. The 2080 Super is supposed to have much better encoding technology than former generations. So this shouldn't be happening as my older cards have never done it. I have always used Nvenc since my move to Twitch. 3 years every single day and no Nvenc problems. Moved to the supposedly better encoding hardware and now this.

I fully understand that my card is getting overloaded to the max so no room for encoding. A little confused because I thought the whole point of GPU encoding was there was no impact on you frames as the encoder was it's own separate thing. If I am right and my guess is that the card is slammed because of max settings at 1080p. Then things like Ultra settings may be adding to the problem. I will try lowering my graphics quality. This may free up resources and all my to keep my FPS. Worth a shot.
i agree to what u saying but 1080p never really worth doing unless ur partner and even then its still not worth it cuz what ppl see on their screens and ur putting out will always be different duo to twitch always messing with streaming and even more so the performance vs how it looks is very small if anything

but yea the pass week or so i think something happen to windows resources is being leaked some where i am sure of it
cuz on the 13-14th i had pefect streaming with nvec then on the 15th I was getting overloaded encoder. so how does two days of streaming perfect come down to overloaded encoder and i am using a 1070 and if ur having this problem with ur 2080 then there is something wrong some where just doesnt make any sense

P.S i had 4000 memory leak some where