Bug Report Stream gets stuck on Quake Live map load

ColterTV

No idea how to fix it but let me say that Quakelive is a pain to capture without a 2 pc setup, I always run into problems with it :(

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You might have to use game capture hotkey with quake live. It might be changing the window.

kryty

It's using a standalone these days, can even stream the website because it's running in awesomium inside quake live. Also OBS messes up other things like just now the website was flipping upside down and back on every frame. Switched to an empty scene and it went completely black. On OBS preview it only showed the loading screen before going to black. QL changed from browser based to standalone recently.

I need to toggle fullscreen on and off to get the picture (no matter if on fullscreen or not). Some friends say they've never had any problems like these.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
"the website was flipping upside down and back eon every frame"? Could you show me a video of this? I haven't heard of such a thing before.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Very strange, I don't quite know what on earth happened there

dacoder

I know what the issue is. And have been dealing with it for quite some time. The fix for it is to uncheck game capture and recheck it in OBS. Then "F12" your game capture to Quake Live again, ingame. This works all the time. As for the weird lettering (I have seen that a while ago) that is fixable by /vid_restart in game, then doing what I described above.

As to what causes it: they have three layers of OpenGL and HTML version of OpenGL (webGL?) and the HTML window will get captured by OBS, but then when that get superposed by the OpenGL game and the overlay (friends overlay) OBS fails to recapture the OpenGL sometimes. And a re-F12 simply wont do it, so you have to actually disable and re-enable the game capture.

The grey lettering and crashing went away for me after the standalone update.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I need to make a way to reset game capture without having to mess with OBS directly. The whole webgl stuff just complicates matters further as well. Thank you for pointing it out if so though.

Yakumo

This happens every map change, but alt+enter twice to pop into windowed mode and then back to fullscreen fixes it, and is very quick if you have r_nofastRestart 0 set which is default, and your game refresh rate is the same as your desktop refresh rate.

Last edited:

Yakumo

fyi quakelive doesn't use webGL at all, neither is it written in Java as some people seem to get completely the wrong idea about what it is (used to be a simply netscape plugin, that called a native C client based entirely on the original q3a source)

It's just awesomium (http://www.awesomium.com/) that is used to bring up a sligtly customized version of www.quakelive.com up within the game.

The game itself is still basically just the quake 3 engine with a few years of tweaks and additions but nothing as major as ioquake3's implementation of opengl 2 even.

I asked one of the devs if they knew off hand what might be happening on a map change that could cause this, and was said -

"Yakumo`: pretty sure there's a vid restart, e.g. the opengl context is freed and recreated"

The fast-restart caused by alt-enter isn't doing that again though, so I don't know why doing that twice (windowed mode, and then back to fullscreen) would cause OBS to pick up the moving image again.

Last edited:

Yakumo

I've tried OBS Studio 0.7.3 and if the opengl renderer is used, this bug seems to be completely fixed!!
If I swap to the directX renderer, then it gets stuck in exactly the same way as OBS 0.638b

So, very much looking forward to more features being implemented in OBS 0.7.x such as nVEC, push to talk for mic's, and hopefully if such features don't get built in, I hope the authors of the OBS Scene Changer and YATC plugins port them over when it's possible to actually have plugins :)

Yakumo

This is still a problem, there are a few Quake Live streamers who would love to see this fixed.

The openGL renderer doesn't seem to do it so often, but is too laggy to use.

Yakumo

Still a problem with OBS 19.02

If Jim needs a copy to test I'm sure we can get a steam key for him.

Last edited:

Yakumo

Spoke with Jim on this one, and it looks like using the OpenGL renderer forces Game Capture to use the mutli-adapter compatibility mode (i.e. memory vs direct shared texture capture) and this is why changing the renderer appears to fix the issue.

Try checking the multi-adapter compatibility option and see if that helps in your case with the Direct3D 11 renderer.

OBS in multi-adapter compatibility mode still can't handle map changes in Quake Live, the bottom mess is a bar that is just 15 tiny copies of the screen that is actually playing to the user (typing console commands into the console at this point) while OBS stays stuck at a loading screen. It says 'Starting up...' as it's recording locally, with online play it gets stuck on 'Awaiting gamestate'.

I changed map 5 times and this is basically all it recorded until I hit alt-enter and the screen went to windowed mode.

aqoVVow.png

Last edited:

Yakumo

I do actually think I've found a workaround for this now, but only with 'Multi-adapter compatibility mode' enabled. which is unfortunate as that's not as fast.

'capture any fullscreen window' seems to keep working over map changes, but it's no good for streaming really as watchers lose the view any time you hop out to look at another appplication.

'Match title, otherwise find window of same executable' seems to work!
'Match title, otherwise find window of same type' seems to work!

I say 'seems to' as this has been sporadic in the past too, so keeping my fingers crossed.

edit: nope, froze after an alt-enter mid game as well, it was just a temporary reprieve, this wasn't a solution :(

Last edited:

Yakumo

Though 'multi-adapter compatibility' if coupled with one of the options that doesn't only use the window title alone does work, this has been reported to give massive input delay to some streamers :-/ ( "200ms" to quote Fazz) so if there's any chance of @Jim taking a further look at this once again that would be great @Fenrir

Last edited:

Yakumo

.. Ok I was wrong, it was just being temperamental again, mutli-gpu compatibility does not fix this problem and does bring a fair bit of lag to the game, if anything it's made the suck capture worse as previously alt-enter to window the game to use other applications only ever fixed the stream if it had hung, now doing that can lock the stream leaving you thinking it's fine when it's not.
I just lost an entire map as I checked the stream was ok, then continued to play it only became unstuck the next map for a change :(

@Fenrir could this be moved out of the 'classic' forum please because this is an issue with OBS Studio 19.02 still.