Question / Help stream fps lag for viewers

Baraccoli

Hey all, I just found out that I could use a second pc/laptop as a streaming pc for my main pc through the NDI plugin.

I've set up everything and I am able to stream but I noticed that although my laptop's cpu (i5usage is around 30-50% and my connection is green the stream appears really laggy fps wise for the viewers.

Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50 GHz

RAM: 10.00 GB

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000

I stream at 720p 30 fps and 2000 bitrate and my upload speed is around 60 mbps, anyone know why the stream appears really laggy fps wise?

Thanks for the help

darthclide

I can't help you, but it looks like your problem is similar to mine:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/using-ndi-plugin-streaming-computer.75216/

I have tested the streaming computer with 20000 bitrate for a local recording, and the video is crisp and smooth. This is a pretty good indicator that the problem is not on NDI's end. (I feared that because I connected to the streaming computer through a router it would cause problems).

Can you confirm that if you set your preset to superfast, if your stream is less laggy fps wise?

Baraccoli

I can't help you, but it looks like your problem is similar to mine:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/using-ndi-plugin-streaming-computer.75216/

I have tested the streaming computer with 20000 bitrate for a local recording, and the video is crisp and smooth. This is a pretty good indicator that the problem is not on NDI's end. (I feared that because I connected to the streaming computer through a router it would cause problems).

Can you confirm that if you set your preset to superfast, if your stream is less laggy fps wise?
I tested the superfast option on my streaming laptop but it still produces the same amount of lag when viewing my stream. I've messed with my bitrate but I haven't seen any improvement, started from 3000 > 1000 >2000 so far.

darthclide

I tested the superfast option on my streaming laptop but it still produces the same amount of lag when viewing my stream. I've messed with my bitrate but I haven't seen any improvement, started from 3000 > 1000 >2000 so far.

Hmmm. I meant for you to test with 10000 or higher. Because if your problems go away it is either A. A problem with your CPU (faulty or not strong enough) or B. A problem with how OBS is utilizing your CPU (something I am inclined to believe. Whether it be through settings you can change or hidden code that you can't fix) or C. A combination of the two.

The biggest problem I am seeing is that locally recorded content often looks different from the stream. Even with the exact same settings (for me I am at 3400 kbs). I was getting so excited for this plugin too. RTMP was a pain because I couldn't transfer the data without it being distorted. And ffmpeg / udp stream is very limited because 90% of the options only send video or audio and not both. Add on top of that the nightmare of trying to select the codecs that will work well.

I guess there aren't enough people using streaming computers with no capture cards. Otherwise a long time ago somebody should have already found a simple way to send your data across the LAN with lossless quality. I hope this NDI plugin eventually can claim this feat.

Baraccoli

Hmmm. I meant for you to test with 10000 or higher. Because if your problems go away it is either A. A problem with your CPU (faulty or not strong enough) or B. A problem with how OBS is utilizing your CPU (something I am inclined to believe. Whether it be through settings you can change or hidden code that you can't fix) or C. A combination of the two.

The biggest problem I am seeing is that locally recorded content often looks different from the stream. Even with the exact same settings (for me I am at 3400 kbs). I was getting so excited for this plugin too. RTMP was a pain because I couldn't transfer the data without it being distorted. And ffmpeg / udp stream is very limited because 90% of the options only send video or audio and not both. Add on top of that the nightmare of trying to select the codecs that will work well.

I guess there aren't enough people using streaming computers with no capture cards. Otherwise a long time ago somebody should have already found a simple way to send your data across the LAN with lossless quality. I hope this NDI plugin eventually can claim this feat.
I fixed it, all I did was switch to the 32 bit OBS and switch my process priority to High

darthclide

I fixed it, all I did was switch to the 32 bit OBS and switch my process priority to High

Wow. I guess it won't hurt to try that tomorrow. Odd that reducing the power of the program helped? Feel free to post again in a few days confirming that this wasn't just a fluke please.