Question / Help Strange results with Quick Sync

SupeDupe

I decided to record some stuff at 60 fps with Quick Sync enabled, to see how it performs since I've never used it before, but kept encountering a lot of blockiness so I kept upping the bitrate but it had no affect on the quality. I got up to 10000 bitrate, with no improvement, when I decided to do some tests. This is what happened.

These were the settings I used. Everything is the same for each test except the FPS setting.

At 60 fps lots of weird blockiness and distortion.

At 48 fps lots of weird blockiness and distortion.

At 50 fps, perfectly fine video.

Why does 50 fps work but 60 and 48 do not? I cannot figure it out. 30 fps works fine as well.

I have an i5 3570k with the latest video drivers (15.31.9.64.3165 released 5/10/2013) and Asrock OC Formula motherboard.

SupeDupe

Palana said:
Do you have any monitors attached to your igpu? Otherwise follow http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutoria ... ktops.html

Afterwards enable custom x264 encoder options (and use x264 encoder options for qsv) and put qsvimpl=4,d3d9,1.6 into the text box (all in advanced)

This fixed it. I can upload videos and logs if you want them.

I did not have a monitor plugged into the iGPU. I forced the igpu to display as the tutorial said, tested, still had the same stuttery distortion. Then I added the encoder options command line that you supplied, did another test, and it came out smooth with no problems at all.

Tomorrow I may switch one of my monitors from my video card to the igpu hdmi port and see if it works that way as well. Just so I can maybe get rid of that extra "fake" monitor that I need with the current method.

Ireality

Just as a question.
I have an Intel I5 2500k which ais also a Sandy Bridge.And the QS option is greyed out for me :/

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Ireality said:
Just as a question.
I have an Intel I5 2500k which ais also a Sandy Bridge.And the QS option is greyed out for me :/
What kind of motherboard do you have?

SupeDupe

SupeDupe said:
Palana said:
Do you have any monitors attached to your igpu? Otherwise follow http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutoria ... ktops.html

Afterwards enable custom x264 encoder options (and use x264 encoder options for qsv) and put qsvimpl=4,d3d9,1.6 into the text box (all in advanced)

This fixed it. I can upload videos and logs if you want them.

I did not have a monitor plugged into the iGPU. I forced the igpu to display as the tutorial said, tested, still had the same stuttery distortion. Then I added the encoder options command line that you supplied, did another test, and it came out smooth with no problems at all.

Tomorrow I may switch one of my monitors from my video card to the igpu hdmi port and see if it works that way as well. Just so I can maybe get rid of that extra "fake" monitor that I need with the current method.

Just wanted to come back and update. I moved my 2nd monitor from my video card to the igpu hdmi port on the motherboard and removed the fake monitor, that the tutorial tells you to add, from my system and it works. So as long as you have a monitor plugged in to the igpu it works, however I still have to use that command line otherwise I get the distortion and stutters.

SupeDupe

I've discovered that I have what seems like an exact 200ms audio desync when using quick sync. Easy to remedy through the advanced offset options but wanted to let you know.

This only occurs when saving to file for some reason. If I stream to twitch the audio is fine, but if I save directly to file instead of streaming then the audio is 200ms out of sync.

Ireality

dodgepong said:
I believe H67 mobos support quicksync.

Have you tried following the guide Krazy linked?

Managed to activate it.
Had to enable "multi monitor on iGPU" support on my BIOS.