Question / Help Steam In-Home Streaming Capture Help

TheRealSpoons

I'm trying to stream Rocket League and my typical streaming laptop can't handle both playing the game and broadcasting it. So I have another PC in which I can stream Rocket League from it to my streaming laptop via Steam In-Home streaming. However, I'm having trouble trying to capture the game in OBS. Window Capture and Game Capture are just showing a black screen. Monitor capture really isn't an option because I'm using a laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GillyMoMo

Then you need to use OBS-MP. If you are using the regular OBS you have no choice but to monitor capture. I know because not only is the Rocket this way, so is the HDPVR2.

Cryonic

Forget Steam.
Try to set up Nginx (guide here in the forum, look for it) on your PC, select the capture/encoding method in your OBS on your laptop that leaves you as much power as possible for your game and then stream with high bandwith (something like 50000) over LAN (forget wireless right away, get a long Cat.6 cable) and enjoy the magic.

GillyMoMo

Seems I have misread the post! There is an app on this forum with streaming desktop over lan too. Let me find the link and I will update this later.

TheRealSpoons

Forget Steam.
Try to set up Nginx (guide here in the forum, look for it) on your PC, select the capture method in your OBS on your laptop that leaves you as much power as possible for your game and then stream with high bandwith (something like 50000) over LAN (forget wireless right away, get a long Cat.6 cable) and enjoy the magic.
I've heard that with this method, audio issues occur and are hard to fix. Shed any light on that? Also, both PCs I use are hard wired.

Cryonic

I've heard that with this method, audio issues occur and are hard to fix. Shed any light on that? Also, both PCs I use are hard wired.

Audio issues are not present if everything is fine (specially when using proper audio gear with a mixer behind it!).
Tryed it with my laptop, was really easy. Try it, its free and easy to set up. This way you will not only be able to offload the encoding to your PC, but also increase the quality (depends on your hardware, specially your PC).

Shmikes200

Any development on this thread? i also want to try this method but also heard there are audio syncing issues..

I have good hardware,( Attached below is my ideal desired setup)

Gaming Machine: Laptop
Intel® CoreTMi7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
64GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz DDR4
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12,G-SYNC
500GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Streaming Machine: Desktop
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz DDR4
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 - 3.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12,G-SYNC
Regular Hybrid HD

Used in this order for work / pleasure conveniences.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
The thread hasn't been touched for two years and OBS Classic is dead so no, no development, other than the general suggestion to get a capture card if you want to run a 2PC setup.