Bug Report Startup error: Error parsing....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobo40k

I keep getting this error whenever I try to start OBS:
TE537.png

Aero switches off, then the error occures and after I close the error box Aero switches back on but OBS doesn't start.

Everything worked yesterday. I didn't change or install anything inbetween.

The '4' in the error is not alway a 4. It varies. Sometimes it's a 'u' or something else. Sometimes even missing alltogether.

Help would be appreciated. (Going to redownload it now and report back if it works then.)

EDIT: I should mention that I use the x64 version with Win7 x64.

EDIT2: OK, redownloaded OBS. Started it. Same things happened except for the error message which contained another symbol now:
uMQHs.png

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The garbled file name is a bug on my part. However, it would appear you are missing a vital file, such as services.xconfig -- it typically means you did not install it correctly, or that it cannot read/write your %AppData%\obs folder

bobo40k

Hmm, the installation shouldn't be an issue, as I didn't change anything and even downloaded a clean install.

On the other hand I am not sure how to fix the %appdata% problem. Running it as an admin doesn't change anything. I will try clearing %appdata%\obs and will check if it fixes anything.

EDIT: Deleting the contents of %appdata%\obs fixed the problems at first. A normal startup was possible (obviously lost my settings). BUT after I closed and restarded OBS the previously mentioned error occured again. So I assume the problem is somehow related to writing permission or file corruption, which is weird because it was running perfectly one day (many restards included) but doesn't the next.
I got no real idea how to fix this and would appreciate input :D.

Thanks for the help.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Woa woa woa, don't clear your %AppData%, stop right there! don't delete files in there. Almost all your application settings and other system settings are in that folder, don't delete anything!

The issue with the xconfig is that it can't find either C:\Program files\OBS\services.xconfig, or it can't read/write to scenes.xconfig in your %AppData%\OBS directory. That's all I'm saying.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Whew, you had me worried there.

Edit - So it either can't open the file, or the file is corrupted. You may want to redownload the zip/exe or something. It shouldn't be having problems parsing any of the files with a clean install.

bobo40k

Ok, I did some testing.

I deleted %AppData%\OBS and got a fresh x64 zip of OBS.
1 .Started OBS, restarted it --> working!

2.started it again, changed my setting
(encoding: bitrate:3500, buffer 5000, quality 10
broadcast setting: justin/twitch, inserted key, changed server to frankfurt, stop stream: F9
video: custom:1920x1200, downscaled 1.5, fps: 25)
created a scene and a software capture source (monitor 1)
preview stream - stop preview
close and restart ---> working!

3. Added another software capture source, changed it to window mode (foobar2000 on my second monitor)
selected subregion and changed the region to only include the artist and the track.
prreview stream - stop preview
close and restart --> DOESN'T work anymore. Same error as in the first post.

Funny thing is that this worked yesterday....

EDIT: Did some more testing. It only stops working if the second source is window mode. Doesn't even need to be limited to a sub region. Tryed the whole second monitor as the second source and it worked.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Thank you for listing the precise steps you did to cause this issue -- checking on my end...

bobo40k

I have to thank you for making a great piece of software like this and not charging anything for it.
I am still online for a while, if you need some more infos.

PS: edited the post above

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
For some reason I'm just not getting this on my end.. WAIT! I know, could you send me your scenes.xconfig file after this starts happening? would be very interesting to see if there's anything weird in it. you can use a private message, paste it in here (it's a text file), or email it to me at obs.jim@gmail.com -- if it cannot parse the file, there must be something up with it.

bobo40k

The one from the %appdata%\obs folder i assume:

Code:
scenes : {
  Scene : {
    class : Scene
    sources : {
      Software Capture Source : {
        class : DesktopImageSource
        data : {
          captureType : 0
          monitor : 0
          window : OBS_0411a_64bit
          windowClass : CabinetWClass
          innerWindow : 1
          regionCapture : 0
          captureMouse : 1
          captureX : 0
          captureY : 0
          captureCX : 1920
          captureCY : 1200
        }
        cx : 1920
        cy : 1200
      }
      Software Capture Source 2 : {
        class : DesktopImageSource
        data : {
          captureType : 1
          monitor : 0
          window : "   [foobar2000 v1.1.15]"
          windowClass : {97E27FAA-C0B3-4b8e-A693-ED7881E99FC1}
          innerWindow : 1
          regionCapture : 0
          captureMouse : 1
          captureX : 0
          captureY : 0
          captureCX : 915
          captureCY : 325
        }
        cx : 915
        cy : 325
      }
    }
  }
}

This time I did not change anything, besides adding one source for my first monitor and a second one(window mode) for foobar2000. Didn't change anything with the subregion either. Just started and stopped a Preview and then closed it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
ah-HAH! er, I mean.. this is definitely a bug in my code. Let me fix real quick and post a new build.

bobo40k

WOWOWOW, I think the problem is related to Foobar2000. I just did the same process with Teamspeak instead and the error did not happen.

/*/I think I should include that I had some problems capturing foobar2000 in the beginning. It is a music player and the window name changes depending on the title played. I disabled that though..../*/ my bad this is not relevant and did not cause problems, at least it doesn't now....

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's because of an error in my JSON parsing code. {97E27FAA-C0B3-4b8e-A693-ED7881E99FC1} causes the problem.

ItzJonnyx

This Is How To Fix This Problem:

1.): Uninstall OBS

2.): Go To: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming

3.): Find And Delete OBS Folder

4.): Install OBS

All Done Fixed ;P

Hope This Helped

-ItzJonnyx

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
This thread is from 2012, please don't go around bumping threads that already have solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.