Start Virtual Camera button doesn't do anything.

kzhe

I installed the flatpak. When I click the start virtual camera button, it asks for a password that I give correctly (I typoed it once and it told me, so i definitely was doing it right), and then just doesn't do anything. The button indicates it's not started, no virtual camera anywhere.

I'm on Zorin OS which is Ubuntu based.

Marathon

I have a similar problem. When I start OBS Studio, and click the "Start Virtual Camera" button, I am asked by the O/S to enter an administrator password. However, If I stop the virtual camera, and the try to restart it, then the button doesn't do anything. I am not asked for the password. If I exit OBS Studio, and restart it, clicking the "Start Virtual Camera" button still doesn't work. To get it to work, I need to reboot my system.

OBS Studio 27.2.3+dfsg1-1
Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
Qt Version: 5.15.3
Kernel Version: 5.15.0-60-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11

AaronD

It's trying to start the v4l2loopback module, which needs root permissions. Surprised it's single-use though. Mine always works.
OBS v29 on Ubuntu Studio 22.04, which also uses KDE Plasma.

Anyway, I have a bash script that is called from root's crontab @reboot (sudo crontab -e to edit the schedule), and includes this line:
modprobe v4l2loopback exclusive_caps=1 card_label='OBS Virtual Camera'
That's copied directly from OBS's source code.

No more password, and the Virtual Cam "just works".

Marathon

The modprobe v4l2loopback exclusive_caps=1 card_label='OBS Virtual Camera' command removes the need to enter the password. But, the basic problem persists: After starting virtual camera and stopping it, it won't restart again unless I reboot the system.