Question / Help Start OBS as administrator on startup in Windows 10, with --startreplaybuffer

CouscousKingpin

Does anybody know a way to start OBS as administrator on startup for Windows 10? I already had the program launching on startup with the replay buffer on, but I had only just realised at the application needs to be run with administrator privileges to be able to run smoothly (on Rainbow Six: Siege). Is there a way to get the application to run as admin on startup, with the replay buffer on? Thanks.

koala

You are able to run OBS as administrator on login without elevation prompt by using the task scheduling feature of Windows.
You should find the task scheduler by searching for "scheduled" in Windows Search. It should find your localized name for task scheduler.
In Task Scheduler, right-click the library and select Create new task.

1583868520119.png

Set the properties of the task like this:
1583867348367.png

It's important to "run only when user is logged on". If you don't do this, OBS will not appear on the desktop but run only in background.
Running with admin privileges is activated with "Run with highest privileges".

1583867487846.png

1583867530864.png

The action in detail:
1583867551076.png

The arguments are --startreplaybuffer --minimize-to-tray
The "Start in" directory is important, you have to set it to the directory where obs64.exe is located. If you don't set it, you get errors that several locale files cannot be found.

In the Settings might be of interest. Deactivate "Stop the task if it runs longer than..." if you never terminate OBS.
1583867697595.png

This task scheduler trick works for every app you want to start at login. However, it's kind of a security risk.
You can even put an icon on the desktop that, upon click, will start this task manually, so you start OBS Studio as administrator without elevation prompt. Create a new shortcut with this target:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "OBS Studio autostart"

Notice that "OBS Studio autostart" is the name of the scheduled task you gave on the first property page of the task.

Last edited:

CouscousKingpin

You are able to run OBS as administrator on login without elevation prompt by using the task scheduling feature of Windows.
You should find the task scheduler by searching for "scheduled" in Windows Search. It should find your localized name for task scheduler.
In Task Scheduler, right-click the library and select Create new task.

View attachment 51853

Set the properties of the task like this:
View attachment 51847
It's important to "run only when user is logged on". If you don't do this, OBS will not appear on the desktop but run only in background.
Running with admin privileges is activated with "Run with highest privileges".

View attachment 51848

View attachment 51849

The action in detail:
View attachment 51850
The arguments are --startreplaybuffer --minimize-to-tray
The "Start in" directory is important, you have to set it to the directory where obs64.exe is located. If you don't set it, you get errors that several locale files cannot be found.

In the Settings might be of interest. Deactivate "Stop the task if it runs longer than..." if you never terminate OBS.
View attachment 51852

This task scheduler trick works for every app you want to start at login. However, it's kind of a security risk.
You can even put an icon on the desktop that, upon click, will start this task manually, so you start OBS Studio as administrator without elevation prompt. Create a new shortcut with this target:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn "OBS Studio autostart"

Notice that "OBS Studio autostart" is the name of the scheduled task you gave on the first property page of the task.
Oh my God you are actually a genius, I was getting frustrated over the location errors as I was following a tutorial not specifically for OBS; but you have swept in and fixed all my problems, I would kiss you. Thanks.

rednecked_crake

nvm, fixed it

Make sure that this line appears exactly so in the 'start in' box

C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\

Without any speech marks and with the backslash at the end. Just edit the path if yours is different.

Tryitplease

Thank you for your knowledge. If you could help with this one issue. With this info. I can now auto start OBS. The main thing I need to do is have it auto start streaming. I can't figure out how it could do this. I have tried everything I can think. I tried --start streaming after the Program/script section with no luck. Any help in this area would be a life saver.

Nemick

It was very good for me in need.
"Run with highest privileges" is Really "Run with administrator privileges"?
My OBS doesn't record game window unless I start it with administrator privileges. If I start it this way, it will start when I log on, but it will not record as if I started it with administrator privileges.
If I check "Run with administrator privileges" in the properties of OBS, this will not work.

I'm sorry for my poor English. Please tell me about this

koala

That's the default, and I see no need to change the default. I don't know what this option will actually change. May be more triggers, actions or time scheduling features will appear, but this all doesn't apply for our case, so keep the default.

arasaka

That's the default, and I see no need to change the default. I don't know what this option will actually change. May be more triggers, actions or time scheduling features will appear, but this all doesn't apply for our case, so keep the default
Is this method a fix for laggy clips in obs?