SRT Media Source Latency

vodamerc

Hi everyone,

I've been using OBS for a while now, primarily with remote SRT media sources, and it's been generally smooth sailing. However, I've noticed an issue with latency that seems to be specific to OBS.

I typically route my media sources directly to OBS from hardware encoders with a 500ms SRT latency. When viewing these sources on other software platforms like Vmix or Haivision Play, the latency from glass to glass is approximately 600-700ms. However, when using OBS, regardless of the settings I adjust or experiments I try, it consistently adds an additional 600-700ms latency, resulting in a total delay of around 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, this additional latency makes it quite challenging to produce content in my field.

I'm reaching out to see if there are any settings or adjustments I might be overlooking that could help reduce this latency issue within OBS.

Thank you in advance for any assistance or insights you can provide.

vodamerc

It's worth noting that when I use the VLC media source within OBS, the total latency remains in the desired range of 600-700ms. This suggests that the issue may be specific to how OBS handles SRT sources.