Spacedesk virtual monitor as display capture source

RicohLA

So recently I've come up with an idea of recording my process of illustrating using a secondary monitor so OBS can capture it. To have an idea what I meant, you can click this link of a tutorial video. Now the problem is, I don't have a second monitor and not plan to have extra one. But since I have used Spacedesk as an OBS Output for almost a year (yes I said output), I was pretty sure that OBS could also capture spacedesk virtual monitor since it could send an OBS output to spacedesk.

Well why I want to do this?
Simply because it's far more efficient to use your laptop or your smartphone as a secondary monitor than having another one that gonna cost more money. second, it's because I don't use virtual monitor or spacedesk as a display to see content, but rather to save some working space.

But here's the real problem, OBS didn't detect Spacedesk second display as a display source in Display Capture source. Since Spacedesk acted like a display even in windows display settings. I wouldn't bother game capture or window capture (and I tried it anyway, no luck). Well I guess right now it is a dead end for me as a user, maybe the devs could take a look and resolve this issue in the next update. (PS, my OBS is updated to the latest version 26.1.1)

By the way, I have this post from 2015, they said that it is possible to some sort of "capture the virtual monitor", and one of them provided a diagram, have a look of it.

Devs or anyone, what do you think?

RicohLA

Nevermind, it worked. I just need to restart my PC. But if any devs notice this, a bug fix is highly appreciated!
Thank you for your attention

FerretBomb

Nevermind, it worked. I just need to restart my PC. But if any devs notice this, a bug fix is highly appreciated!
Thank you for your attention
Wait, but I thought you said it worked after a reboot of your system? What's the bug that needs fixing, exactly?

OBS can only capture displays connected to the GPU it is running on. To do otherwise would require a significant re-code that the devs apparently do not have the bandwidth for at the moment. A virtual display, all bets are completely off with how (or even if) it works.

RicohLA

Thanks for the answer. I forgot what I was trying to do. But I think it seems like everything works just fine. Maybe I was referring to spacedesk didn't showed up on display capture because spacedesk is a virtual display.