Sound problem

Parcos

Hello, I'm here to ask you for help
for several weeks now, I've been having sound problems on my stream that come up occasionally
I can't hear these sound problems but on the stream they are heard and even on the replays.
Sometimes it's the discord sound, sometimes the game sound, but never my microphone.
The sound problems can be heard as saturation or crackling.
I don't really know what to do about it.
I'm sending you my settings on OBS
For information I stream on the kick platform and I've already tried with the AMD HW H.264 (AVC) encoder and the H.265 (HEVC) but I always have the same problems.
obs64_Wx7eP5YrLW.png

AaronD

Sometimes it's the discord sound, sometimes the game sound, but never my microphone.
The sound problems can be heard as saturation or crackling.
Are you using the Application Audio Capture source? It does that. Don't use it for anything critical.

Instead, use the older method of capturing the *entire* output of a selected device, and controlling by other means, what goes to that device. If you need to add a device, so you can do that without wrecking something else, then add a device. A cheap USB thing that doesn't wire to anything, or a virtual speaker; either way works.

Parcos

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that when I delete the source and create it again, everything returns to normal.

But does that mean that the Application Audio Capture source doesn't work?

Dwarmas

If you use the Application Audio Capture source try turning the audio enhancements off on your primary speaker (where the sound of discord, chrome,... comes out).

I had the same problem and it worked for me !
correctif.PNG

AaronD

If you use the Application Audio Capture source try turning the audio enhancements off on your primary speaker (where the sound of discord, chrome,... comes out).

I had the same problem and it worked for me !
View attachment 102968
I guess it's *possible* for it to work that way. It would mean that those "enhancements" (which are not really) are applied to each individual thing separately before they're mixed together, which would take a lot more processing than if they were applied once to the mix. I didn't think Windoze was enough of a sound studio inside to have that amount of processing dedicated to it, but I can see if an engineer in the right place decided that this exact use would need it to work that way, and just did it unopposed.

Or maybe you're getting confused between the individual application tap-off and the device mix tap-off?

Dwarmas

I guess it's *possible* for it to work that way. It would mean that those "enhancements" (which are not really) are applied to each individual thing separately before they're mixed together, which would take a lot more processing than if they were applied once to the mix. I didn't think Windoze was enough of a sound studio inside to have that amount of processing dedicated to it, but I can see if an engineer in the right place decided that this exact use would need it to work that way, and just did it unopposed.

Or maybe you're getting confused between the individual application tap-off and the device mix tap-off?
I had a problem on my OBS when I was using the Application Audio Capture tool, when I was streaming/recording you could hear crackling (I think I also had the problem when doing a discord stream so I knew it was not a problem from OBS itself).

So I just went into my sound settings to try different things and eventually I figured it out by disabling the windows enhancements.
Ever since, I don't have any crackling on my stream/recording.

I don't know if I could answer your question sorry, I'm not a native English speaker :)

AaronD

I had a problem on my OBS when I was using the Application Audio Capture tool, when I was streaming/recording you could hear crackling (I think I also had the problem when doing a discord stream so I knew it was not a problem from OBS itself).

So I just went into my sound settings to try different things and eventually I figured it out by disabling the windows enhancements.
Ever since, I don't have any crackling on my stream/recording.

I don't know if I could answer your question sorry, I'm not a native English speaker :)
Whatever works, I guess. I'm just saying that in order for that to have that effect, there has to be a certain structure, and I'm surprised that that structure exists.

Anyway, it's still (VERY!) good practice to look through ALL of the settings - OBS, Windows, drivers, *everything* - look for things that are on by default, and turn it all off. Anything that is not a "straight dumb wire" needs to go away, because it will probably hurt you at some time in the future. Just get rid of all that now.

Look DEEP into the settings, especially the ones that you're not supposed to stumble onto, because there's stuff that far in. That stuff is designed at the very least to make a conference call work in a terrible environment, and avoid accusations of Microsoft breaking their computer because some poking around that they did suddenly exposed them to the harsh reality of what the computer is actually dealing with.

You *want* to deal with that explicitly - using OBS's tools, not Windows', so it's all easily accessible to you - so you need to find that setting in Windows, and whatever else they've hidden back in there somewhere, with whatever non-technical useless names they decided to give them, and turn it all off.