noejajy

So apparently OBS refuses to load no matter how many times I try to install and uninstall it. Every time I attempt to open it it brings up a message saying something like my GPU isnt supported or I should try updating my driver, even though I was able to open OBS yesterday and I have already tried updating my drivers (to which Windows said I was up to date.) I was messing with my display resolution and set it to a really high number (like 2092x714 or something) and then the screen which would display footage went white, and I decided to close the software, and since then I haven't been able to open it again. So is it a red ring of death kind of situation or can it be fixed?

(P.S. I'm not all to tech savvy, so I'm really sorry if I get confused sometimes)

koala

Open Windows explorer, go to this location: "%appdata%\obs-studio" (paste this into the path line).
Make this directory empty (or remove it altogether), then you will be able to restart OBS Studio. By deleting this directory, you remove all (possibly defective) configuration files and will start over fresh as if OBS was never installed before.

nLVassassin

Is there a next step? This did not actually solve the issue for me?
navigate to %appdata% name the folder "obs-studio.old" Now go to control panel and uninstall obs. make sure uninstall settings is unchecked. Only uninstall the application. Once uninstalled download OBS and reinstall it. Open it up and speed through everything you don't need to set it up close OBS. Now navigate back to %appdata%\ delete the newly created obs-studio folder and remove the .old off your older folder and OBS will open up with all your previous settings

iHydrolyzed

navigate to %appdata% name the folder "obs-studio.old" Now go to control panel and uninstall obs. make sure uninstall settings is unchecked. Only uninstall the application. Once uninstalled download OBS and reinstall it. Open it up and speed through everything you don't need to set it up close OBS. Now navigate back to %appdata%\ delete the newly created obs-studio folder and remove the .old off your older folder and OBS will open up with all your previous settings

This worked great until 5 days later, the exact thing happened. When I delete the new OBS Studio folder and replace it with the .old one, new without the .old, it no longer works, making me think it has something to do with my settings. I had to reset my settings which were all lost which is annoying, but this makes me wonder if this broken OBS will keep happening because it would be too much of a hassle to keep resetting it every time I want to use OBS.

boredlakeYT

Thanks for the help, but one additional thing if you only changed the resolution and you want to preserve your other settings, you can go to:
obs-studio > basic > profiles > [Profile Name] > basic

Once you open that notepad file you will see the following:
[Video]
BaseCX=(number)
BaseCY=(number)
OutputCX=(number)
OutputCY=(number)

and just change those numbers to a resolution that your GPU can handle. For example, my monitor uses a 2k resolution so I changed it to:
BaseCX=2560
BaseCY=1440
OutputCX=2560
OutputCY=1440

Also make sure the BaseCX and OutputCX are equal, and the BaseCY and OutputCY are equal.
Problem solved! (for me at least)
You could also find and change another setting in the notepad instead if you think that is the issue