Solution for NDI on M1 Macs´

ThommiTechnik

Dear all,

as a lot of us, I also struggled with NDI on my M1 Mac. Today I got it working, and I wanted to share my solution with you:

- Go into /Programs, and choose "Show Contents" from NDI Video Monitor. Go into "Contents > Frameworks" and copy the "libndi_advanced.dynlib"
- Chang into "usr/local/lib", and paste this file
- rename the "libndi4.dynlib" (like e.g. "old_libndi4.dynlib")
- rename "libndi_advanced.dynlib" to "libndi4.dynlib"
- start OBS, and you'll see the NDI Sources again

Cheers, Thomas

Faleo MD

I think this situation is really unbelievable that developers of OBS can't fix this problem with update. Working NDI systems have been really important part of choosing OBS as main software. Now this situations has been like this many months.

mishakim

It's not really the fault of the OBS developers, NDI is a commercial product, and support in OBS is currently via a third-party plugin, which is provided by a volunteer, not the company behind NDI. It's that for-profit company, NewTek, that should be providing the plugin themselves.

JoDa

I tried a lot, but nothing worked until now with a M1 Max.
I saw that some people got it working online, but when I follow their steps, it’s not working for me.
Couldn’t maybe have something to do with the many tries we do?
How do we uninstall everything before trying a new way?
I really hope to fix this issue soon, maybe we are a lot of people having the same problem with OBS NDI and ARM/M1 Macs and could maybe pay the person who can help us fix it?

JoDa

Update!!!

It's working for me now except when I record a NDI-source, then the sound is chopped into small peaces. Will somebody please help me to be able to record and stream the NDI-source with sound :?)
The preview of the sound sounds perfect, it is only when I record or stream.

A workaround is using NDI Virtural Input.

Macsbook Pro M1 Max

feee

Update!!!

It's working for me now except when I record a NDI-source, then the sound is chopped into small peaces. Will somebody please help me to be able to record and stream the NDI-source with sound :?)
The preview of the sound sounds perfect, it is only when I record or stream.

A workaround is using NDI Virtural Input.

Macsbook Pro M1 Max
Give this a try:

Macrobiotic

OK, I got it working too.
The bit that was missing is an NDI 5 compatible version of obs-ndi for Apple Silicon.
In the notes for the video in the previous post there is a link to the file. Please be aware that the author had withdrawn that version of obs-ndi, so it's likely that there are issues with it that may cause other problems.

As for audio problems. That seems to be an issue affecting a lot of people. I'm not sure which component is causing the issue, but I'd suggest reporting it as a bug to all developers so they know how big a problem it is.

Zachb36

OK, I got it working too.
The bit that was missing is an NDI 5 compatible version of obs-ndi for Apple Silicon.
In the notes for the video in the previous post there is a link to the file. Please be aware that the author had withdrawn that version of obs-ndi, so it's likely that there are issues with it that may cause other problems.

As for audio problems. That seems to be an issue affecting a lot of people. I'm not sure which component is causing the issue, but I'd suggest reporting it as a bug to all developers so they know how big a problem it is.
How did you get it working exactly?

Thanks!

Macrobiotic

@Zachb36 I missed your message earlier, sorry about that.

The steps I have taken are as follows:
First, I installed the following:
OBS 29.0.2
NDI Tools for Mac version 5.5.3.0
obs-ndi: https://easyupload.io/wy89d3
NDI runtime: ndi-runtime-5.0.10.1-macOS.pkg

With those components in place, I followed the steps below:
- Go into /Programs, and choose "Show Contents" from NDI Video Monitor. Go into "Contents > Frameworks" and copy the "libndi_advanced.dynlib"
- Navigate to "usr/local/lib", and paste this file
- rename the "libndi4.dynlib" (like e.g. "old_libndi4.dynlib")
- rename "libndi_advanced.dynlib" to "libndi4.dynlib"
(in my system I also had libndi.dynlib. I replaced it as well, in the same way as above.)

Once I had completed this, I launched OBS and I was able to use NDI sources and output to NDI.

daysailor

I did everything as described (Macbook with M1 ARM processor).
I can add NDI sources in OBS 29 (four full-NDI PTZ cameras from birddog).
Unfortunately the video is stuttery, at least for certain sources. Occurs in preview and in recording. I did not had this behaviour with ndi-runtime-4.10. Seems to be the ndi-runtime-5.0. But with 4.10 I got a growing video latency over time. Could be solved temporarily by switching the Latency Mode back and forth but but occurred again after some time.
It is to despair with OBS and NDI on Mac M1 ;-)
Does anyone have a similar problem or at best a solution ?

Deldran

I use NDI on my m1 macbook without issue, but I also use OBS 27 I have not updated to 28 or 29 yet.

Macrobiotic

It seems like Palakis has released a Release Candidate of obs-ndi 4.11.0-RC
That page also has an NDI5 version of libndi (for Debian/Ubuntu)
Maybe this will address some of the quality problems people have had.

Diversq

It seems like Palakis has released a Release Candidate of obs-ndi 4.11.0-RC
That page also has an NDI5 version of libndi (for Debian/Ubuntu)
Maybe this will address some of the quality problems people have had.
Audio Problem Not Fixed

Downloaded the RC.
It fixed the audio when monitoring but not when recording or streaming.

It used to be when sending an NDI game stream the video was great and audio was also great. Then when upgrading to 28 then 29 the video still worked but the audio was crackling when monitoring, streaming or recording. Now the video is still fine and the audio when monitoring is perfect but when recording or streaming the result is crackling. If I open the NDI Video Monitor both video and audio are perfect.

Mac m1 2020
Ventura 13.2.1
Using NDI 5 on both pc and mac