Solution for NDI on M1 Macs´

vishae

I've tried the above instructions by Macrobiotics and I can't seem to get OBS/NDI to work.

I've installed:
- OBS 29.0.2
- NDI Tools ver 5.5.3.16
- obs-ndi 4.11.0-RC (https://github.com/obs-ndi/obs-ndi/releases/tag/4.11.0-RC)
- NDI runtime: ndi-runtime-5.0.10.1-macOS.pkg

- I moved the "libndi_advanced.dynlib" file and renamed it to "libndi4.dynlib"

But when I open OBS and try to add a new NDI source, the "Source Name" dropdown field remains empty:
1679929361814.png

Can someone help?

binone

Could fix it sending an NDI audio signal from Vmix NDI using it as the audio source. Not so clean, but that NDI audio source, works

Jud Leonard

I found that my problem was caused by the obs-ndi plugin (which now seems to be obsolete), which was trying and failing to load libndi.

To see if that's your problem, check the log file (on the OBS Help menu) to see if it's failing when loading obs-ndi. If so, move the plugin from /Applications/OBS Studio/Contents/plugins/ to the Desktop, then restart OBS Studio. If that fixes it, put obs-ndi in the Trash.

Matt

The solution is not to remove the OBS NDI plugin (but you should make sure that it's up-to-date). Instead, you need to install the dependency that has gone missing from the official NDI Tools download. It's still available from the official source… it's just been moved to the SDK instead. I am not sure that you actually need NDI Tools installed in addition to the SDK (I suspect that you don't).

NDI makes you give them an email to send you the download, but I've never found them to send spam at all (even the newsletter is optional). Once installed (using the default settings), you'll need to open the Terminal app (Applications/Utilities) and run this command:
sudo ln -s /Library/NDI\ SDK\ for\ Apple/lib/macOS/libndi.dylib /usr/local/lib/libndi.dylib

Because this is a protected system directory, you will be prompted to enter your admin password. While typing the password in Terminal, you will not see any characters appearing on screen. Once you finish tying the password, just press Return.

This command will link the library to the location where the OBS NDI plugin attempts to load from. By linking, instead of copying, this should allow future upgrades of the SDK to “just work.”

hmovses

Dear all,

as a lot of us, I also struggled with NDI on my M1 Mac. Today I got it working, and I wanted to share my solution with you:

- Go into /Programs, and choose "Show Contents" from NDI Video Monitor. Go into "Contents > Frameworks" and copy the "libndi_advanced.dynlib"
- Chang into "usr/local/lib", and paste this file
- rename the "libndi4.dynlib" (like e.g. "old_libndi4.dynlib")
- rename "libndi_advanced.dynlib" to "libndi4.dynlib"
- start OBS, and you'll see the NDI Sources again

Cheers, Thomas
does this work for M3 Mac ?

hmovses

Dear all,

as a lot of us, I also struggled with NDI on my M1 Mac. Today I got it working, and I wanted to share my solution with you:

- Go into /Programs, and choose "Show Contents" from NDI Video Monitor. Go into "Contents > Frameworks" and copy the "libndi_advanced.dynlib"
- Chang into "usr/local/lib", and paste this file
- rename the "libndi4.dynlib" (like e.g. "old_libndi4.dynlib")
- rename "libndi_advanced.dynlib" to "libndi4.dynlib"
- start OBS, and you'll see the NDI Sources again

Cheers, Thomas
Can you please suggest which OBS version and which NDI version you have that work for Mac ? thanks