Question / Help SNES Sprite Flicker Problem

JDevL

I've been streaming Super Metroid and Mega Man X on the Wii U and one minor issue I can't seem to get rid of is any time my characters takes damage and flickers on the screen, they completely disappear on the stream and in OBS. Are there any settings I should play with to help get rid of this problem? I wasn't sure if it was related to framerate or deinterlacing.

I'm streaming with OBS at 720p through a BlackMagic Intensity Pro.

Example -

Last edited:

flavored

You're streaming through a capture card, I don't think there is any way OBS can alter output of and especially not any particular elements of it. The source lies somewhere else.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Since you didn't post a log or tell us which deinterlacing you're using, I'll have to take a shot in the dark here. You will have to either stream at 60 frames per second or use Blend deinterlacing at 30 FPS for those sprites to not either disappear or stay solid when taking damage.

The reason for this is that the SNES outputs video at 60.10 fps, and it makes the characters "transparent" when taking damage by turning them on/off every other frame.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Yep, this is known as "frame roulette". The character blinks on and off every frame, and since the capture card captures every other frame, there's a 50% chance it will capture only the frames where the character is invisible. (You'll notice it only happens sometimes.)

JDevL

That's what really threw me off, dodgepong. It wasn't happening consistently. Thanks for the info everyone, I wasn't sure what wall to beat my head against. I'll look into my capture card FPS options.