Question / Help Small framestutters when local recording

IDGeek121

Hi, I've been trying to set up a profile for high quality local recordings of raw gameplay, but my recordings have small bursts of stuttering about once a minute. It shows when recording to either an SSD or an HDD, and with both NVENC (tried normal and high performance preset) or x264. The stats window doesn't say anything about dropping frames due to rendering/encoding either. Lowering the bitrate/resolution also doesn't help.
I have downloads to some example recordings from two different sources. The logs for each video are attached to this post.

2018-11-21 14-04-35: Stutter around 0:51
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18eINr3o5J72BSByNaR4Hc8htQZsNjlTN
2018-11-21 14-12-10: Stutter around 1:50
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fvmQ9SFFj_9wTK3uW0ebclHNyC-th3TX

I'm running on a Ryzen 1700 and a reference GTX 1070.

Attachments

• 2018-11-21 14-04-35.txt
    13 KB · Views: 21
  • 2018-11-21 14-12-10.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 19

BK-Morpheus

These kind of problems can be quite hard and some times even impossible to solve, but maybe we can figure it out.
Log looks fine, as you said...just one clean scene with a game capture, no shitload of browser-sources or backround-videos and filters.
GameDVR is disabled and no rendering / encoding or bandwidth problems.

If the stutter only occurs once in a while, it's possible that this is just a very slight mismatch of monitor refreshrate, game fps and recording.
The log shows a framerate of 60000/1001 which is 59,94005994005994fps.
The monitor might also run at less than 60Hz (windows showing 60Hz is usually just double NTSC, which is 59,94.

You could try a different display mode for the game (exclusive fullscreen vs. borderless window mode) or use the tool custom resolution utility tool (CRU) to change the monitor refreshrate to exactly 60Hz and change OBS framerate to 60fps as well.

Other than that you could open the windows resource monitor and have a look at the memory. You will see the standby memory in dark blue and just free memory in light blue. Some setups suffer from a windows bug where the standby memory will creep up and not get freed automatically. If that's the case, you might experience a little stutter here and there or even a program crash (depending on your paging file settings in windows).