Bug Report Slowed Game Response when Streaming

Maldarrien

Hello,

I'm trying to help a friend of mine get set up with OBS. Like me, he's switching from XSplit. Unlike me, he's running into a game performance issue when running OBS that he wasn't getting before in XSplit.

We've tried changing the audio and video settings to mirror what he's been using in XSplit, but that hasn't made any difference.

He's streaming StarCraft 2, and when he streams with OBS, he'll click in-game with his mouse, and it'll take a moment or two for the game to respond. This sounds like typical lag, and his internet speeds are pretty low. He's in Denmark, and apparently cannot get faster internet speeds.

The audio quality in OBS has been really fantastic compared to XSplit. It makes me think that we're sending more audio information with OBS than XSplit, which may be taxing his low internet speed. We've tried using AAC with 64bit down from 128, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

We are using the Game Capture plugin. Any advice or tips for improving the in-game performance when using OBS would be appreciated.

Maldarrien

Here is the latest log.

Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.432a - 32bit (´・ω・`)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
CPU Speed: 3724MHz
Physical Memory:  4095MB Total, 3412MB Free
stepping id: 0, model 10, family 15, type 0, extmodel 8, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 6, total cores 6
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
  Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 2129346560
  Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 4025575424
Send Buffer Size: 32768
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: Off
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Mikrofon (5- Razer Banshee)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 64
   chosen type: MJPG, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 10-30, fourCC: 'MJPG'

Warning -- DShowPlugin: control->Run failed, result = 800705AA
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 20
    width: 1280, height: 720
    quality: 5
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 800
    buffer size: 800
Total frames rendered: 1902, number of frames that lagged: 2 (0.11%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Number of b-frames dropped: 20, Number of p-frames dropped: 0
=====Stream End=======================================================================
Send Buffer Size: 32768
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: Off
  Base resolution: 1920x1080
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Mikrofon (5- Razer Banshee)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 64
   chosen type: MJPG, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 10-30, fourCC: 'MJPG'

Warning -- DShowPlugin: control->Run failed, result = 800705AA
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 20
    width: 1280, height: 720
    quality: 5
    preset: veryfast
    i444: no
    max bitrate: 800
    buffer size: 800
Total frames rendered: 839, number of frames that lagged: 1 (0.12%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Number of b-frames dropped: 0, Number of p-frames dropped: 0
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 22.165 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 92.2%] [unaccounted: 7.84%]
| scene->Preprocess - [61.5%] [avg time: 13.635 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [30.6%] [avg time: 6.792 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 16%] [unaccounted: 14.6%]
| | CopyResource - [0.00902%] [avg time: 0.002 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [8.42%] [avg time: 1.866 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [7.57%] [avg time: 1.677 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
He's using a really old version of the app. He might want to upgrade to the latest version and try again before reporting a problem

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ah, okay, just had to check, sorry for the trouble. Okay, there are a few suggestions I know of. I know that game lag is an issue for people with lower internet connection speeds. It really sucks actually, because streaming can be very demanding.

Try lowering the quality balance. Lowering it can cause it to be a little less pushy on the bandwidth, prevent spiking. If that doesn't work, then try CBR in advanced. This changes the way data is sent, but can reduce quality in certain ways. CBR makes the transmission a little more stable and I have heard reports that it helps for lower internet connection speeds.

The only other suggestion would be to just lower the bitrate in general to make more space for the game bandwidth. Wish I had more suggestions to offer