Bug Report Slight Microphone Problem

modnite

I notice that when I launch OBS, it throws the volume of all recording devices all the way up to 100%, including both my mics and other capture devices(like line-in for my TV card and my AverMedia capture card). It's a bit annoying since my friends in TeamSpeak complain about me being too loud. I usually have my mic's volume at 20% in the volume settings page. I don't know if it's a feature so if it is, is there some way of implementing an option to prevent that?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I actually know what you're talking about, because I had this occur after I switched to a new sound card. It seems to only happen in certain circumstances with a particular system setup (like mine, but it was only after I changed the sound card). This doesn't seem to actually an issue with my app in this case, but an issue with windows that I don't quite know the source of. When mic capturing starts, it just for some strange reason decided to reset all the volume levels to the levels that my previous sound card had used. When the mic is set to disabled the problem doesn't seem to occur though, it's very weird.

I did finally manage to fix it, but I had to cleanly uninstall all my sound drivers and reinstall them. I still don't know the exact cause, but I'll see if I can't find some more info about this on google somewhere.

If I can't find more info, I may be able to fix the problem in some other way, maybe. I may be able to force the levels back to the values they're supposed to be at.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay, I've found some info on the net for a potential fix, I don't know if it'll work, but try it and see what happens:

1. Right click the volume icon on your windows start bar and select recording devices from the pop up menu.
2. Locate the microphone you are using, right click the microphone and click properties.
3. Go to the advanced tab and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Let me know if that changes anything.

modnite

Oh, I always uncheck that setting on my devices. They've been unchecked. The problem happens regardless. It's similar to how Skype can adjust your device levels when you set that particular setting.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
So I've been searching for information on this on the net, and this appears to be a problem that has plagued many programs that use mic input, especially when skype is also using it. They use an app that uses the mic, and the volume levels (often on pretty much everything) go crazy. It's the same thing that used to happen to me (and this was before I even made my application).

I could be crazy, but it seems especially common with realtek sound devices.. and that's also what I used. But from what I can see, it's either an audio driver bug or a windows 7 bug that has never been properly fixed. I'm reading threads about these sorts of problems in other applications from even as far back as 2 years ago.

I only saw one report of a guy having "fixed" the problem, and it was only by completely and cleanly uninstalling his sound drivers, and then reinstalling them again. That was pretty much exactly the same thing I did that seemed to fix it for me as well. I can't say for sure if it's the same issue you're having, and I can't say for sure if that will fix it, but it's the best I've got at the moment.

modnite

I'll definitely try that, because I am indeed using my onboard realtek soundcard. Not sure how the heck it messes with the volumes for other devices completely removed from it. It's strange.