Shadow Mode for OBS

BuGsY

I recently assisted a friend, who streams with Nvidia Shadowplay, merge over to OBS knowing it supported NVENC encoding. He needed more scene options while keeping the workload off the CPU and OBS is amazing. While doing this he showed me a setting, Shadow Mode, in which he used often and was built into Shadowplay. He would locally record a 10min loop when he wasn't streaming in case something amazing happened. When something happened he would hit F10 and the last 10min of game play was saved. He could then use that 10mins of footage for future videos. I immediately fell in love with this option thinking I would never have to sift through hours upon hours of game play footage for one clip let alone waste disk space on everything.

So is there a way to set up OBS to run the same way or any future plans to add this functionality in the future?

paibox

heros in an halfshel
This has been asked before, and the answer is no. Someone could technically make an output module for this for obs-studio, where it just keeps X minutes/seconds of encoded video buffered in system RAM, but it is not planned, or a priority, and it will not be added to the current/old version of OBS.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I definitely want this sort of feature. It would be nice. Whether I have time to implement it is another story though. Still, perfectly doable in the rewrite.

BuGsY

Thanks for the response!! I recently picked up a NVidia card to play around with and Shadowplays Shadow Mode is amazingly convenient. I look forward to seeing how this turns out (if and when, crossing fingers) as a OBS function.

OliverMD

Good news: you may see it next version.
Wait, are you serious? If so i can't wait til the VCE Fork gets the feature so i can finally ditch the horrible Raptr client.
Honestly i exptected you to say "not going to happen since we focus on streaming" and not that we actually get it :D

BuGsY

Good news: you may see it next version.

I'm speechless... This is by far the one best thing to happen to the streaming community of OBS. The option to catch those... "Oh, wish I was streaming for that" moments. Less sifting through hours of raw recording... no more have to write down timestamps of scenes to pull up later.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Uh, no. This thread is from August 2014, the feature was implemented officially in September 2014 with the release of 0.63b. The last release of OBS Classic was 0.657b in November 2015. Development has since stopped and that effort is being put towards OBS Studio instead.

Jonah S.

Uh, no. This thread is from August 2014, the feature was implemented officially in September 2014 with the release of 0.63b. The last release of OBS Classic was 0.657b in November 2015. Development has since stopped and that effort is being put towards OBS Studio instead.
So will there be "Shadowplay" type settings for OBS studio? I really like the Nvidia settings but they are confusing to transfer to OBS.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Not sure what you're trying to ask. The feature discussed in this forum post has been implemented for almost two years, as has NVENC support for hardware encoding.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
In short for everyone that comes here through google:
OBS Classic
- Supports nvenc for encoding
- Has the Replay Buffer which is similar to Shadowmode

OBS Studio
- Supports nvenc for encoding
- Replay Buffer has been added with OBS 17.0.0

Last edited: