Screen pixelation happening while moving in recordings

ElectricFury

Whenever I move in game, there's a pixelation blur effect happening in the recordings until I stop moving and then it corrects itself. I'm currently trying to record Minecraft but this is happening for all games I've tested, which leads me to believe it must be an OBS issue (along with the fact it isn't happening in game as I play, nor in the preview on OBS as I record, only in the recording after).

This never used to happen as far back as February this year, where I have some recordings with no issues. The only change I have made since then was swithcing to MKV instead of MP4 to get multiple audio tracks, but switching back to MP4 still results in the issue.

I have tried a whole manner of potential fixes from searching my issue but nothing has worked:
  • I have tried both MKV and MP4 output
  • Vsync is on in game and every setting is capped to 60 fps in my games and in OBS.
  • I've tried with OBS minimized and completely minimized to system tray during recording.
  • I have both downgraded OBS to old versions, and updated OBS to the latest version and the issue persists in them all.
  • I have updated my NVIDIA Graphics Drivers.
  • I have followed all the instructions on this page: https://obsproject.com/kb/minecraft-java-edition-troubleshooting
  • I have tried all 3 options to fix suggested by this user in the OBS forum (which seems to be one of the few people claiming to have solved it when googling): https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/extreme-screen-tearing.139432/post-643787

ElectricFury

SOLVED

On a whim, I decided to change my Output Mode right at the top of the settings from Advanced back to Simple and I no longer get the pixelation.

I have no idea which setting opened by the Adnaced mode was ruining it, but it must have had something to do with compression, because I've check 2 different 10 second clips, one with the issue and one since I changed back to simple, and the issue video is 3.35MB whereas the working video is 25.1MB (That is on the "High Quality, Medium File Size" setting).

Harold

Don't use CBR/Same as stream for recording

Settings - output
Output mode: Simple
Recording quality: Indistinguishable
Recording format: MKV
Recording encoder: Nvenc H264