Screen capture/record only when sound is present

bh2023

Apologies in advance if this info is already out here. I have searched several hours without success. I am also new to OBS. Here is what I attempting to do. I cannot be present during a daily 7 hour Zoom call. There is a lot of dead space, silence, during this call. I was able to record the call with OBS and I am looking at a way reduce the time searching for the conversations through all the dead space. How can I do one of three things: with OBS only record when audio is present on the Zoom meeting, how can I automate automatically skipping/fast forwarding to the next audio section, or how do I go about automatically cutting out all the silence all together on the recorded file thus shrinking down the recording and file size. I thought that I found a thread explaining on how to configure automatic scene switcher plug in to only record while audio is present. I was using another person's laptop in guest mode in Google and it shut down to do an update. When I returned my browsing history was gone. Through my research Olive has a feature that will automatically cut out the silence sections. I imported a MP4 file and that option would not come up.... I also noticed that the audio section did not have a waveform present in the audio section.

AaronD

only record when audio is present on the Zoom meeting
1685572903819.png

1685572928230.png

You can use the exact same threshold, even after changes, as shown above, or you can use separate thresholds by copying the first condition instead, and modifying from there.

But I don't think you want to do that, because of the difficulty in guaranteeing that the automation really does work like it's supposed to. Especially the detection part. How do you know that a given threshold is not going to false trigger or fail to trigger?

configure automatic scene switcher plug in to only record while audio is present
Advanced Scene Switcher grew out of the Automatic Scene Switcher, but it's gone so far beyond that now, that the name is really just a historical relic.

automate automatically skipping/fast forwarding to the next audio section
I think you'd need a specialized player for that. Kinda like the "commercial skipping" VCR's that we used to have. But I don't think that feature made it into very many modern players.

automatically cutting out all the silence all together on the recorded file thus shrinking down the recording and file size
Through my research Olive has a feature that will automatically cut out the silence sections. I imported a MP4 file and that option would not come up.... I also noticed that the audio section did not have a waveform present in the audio section.
I think you're onto something there. I'd pursue that further. The missing waveform might be a different issue, and the only thing preventing this from working.

bh2023

AaronD thank you for your response! I will give these a try. After posting this yesterday I was thinking it may be a better route to go ahead and record everything and edit it out. With limited info out here I came to the conclusion that it may be too hard to do and to try a different route.... your response backs that up. Yes, I was thinking about that VCR function, we had that several of our VCRs and I loved being able to fast forward through commercials automatically. Sometimes it was 15 to 20 minutes of savings an hour, after three hours you basically got to watch three shows instead of two. I played around with Timebolt last night. It cut 7 hours down to 21 minutes. Thanks again for your help