Question / Help RTMP Player

Bensam123

Does anyone know of a program that easily reads RTMP streams or allows a user to send their RTMP stream to it? Xsplit has some functionality like this... VLC still can't properly read RTMP streams without rtmpdump.

micechal

What's wrong with VLC Player? It works for me ootb. Have you tried SMplayer, a GUI for Mplayer? Afaik it supports RTMP aswell.

------------ EDIT

Ok, so I googled some more, to play Twitch streams in your system player you'll need a simple program called Livestreamer: https://github.com/chrippa/livestreamer. I'm succesfully watching a stream right now using it and SMPlayer. I treid to do it with VLC Player - without success. So afaik the only working solution is to use SMPlayer, what for me isn't a trouble because I use it as my default player on my PC :) If you want automation, you could create some shortcuts linking to Livestreamer with different channels as arguments, so you can simply doubleclick a shortcut on your desktop and watch your favourite stream. Hope it helps :)

Bensam123

VLC doesn't take RTMP streams... I'm using the latest version and it wont connect... Reading up on forums it still can't without rtmpdump serving as a intermediary

NoSFeRaTU

Vlc use ffmpeg for rtmp handling. On all servers except wowza live and vod mode must be initiated differently.
When ffmpeg compiled with librtmp you must supply live=1 at the end of url for live streams, for example 'rtmp://192.168.0.1/live/streamname live=1". When compiled without librtmp it uses internal implementation and appending of live=1 is not needed.

PS. Many content streaming services checks additional parameters like referers, pageurls, implementing token authentication and another protection methods to prevent leaching of streams outside of their player.

Bensam123

It's a ridiculously huge pita and another thing I'd rather not have to deal with when I can simply get a program that does it. SMplayer seems to work well, thanks.

There really isn't anyway of relaying a OBS stream from one computer to another without a media server in between is there? I know xsplit allows you to do this now. Even if you have a player like smplayer, you still can't accept a rtmp stream straight from a client, can you?

micechal

Yes, OBS doesn't support RTMP yet. If you want to stream another stream on your stream (lol), you have to capture Smplayer in OBS. I know it isn't the best solution, but afaik it's the only one.

Bensam123

Yeah that's what I was considering doing, but in order to do that, you have to stream your stream to a server like Twitch or use something like Wowza or Adobe Media Server? There isn't anyway around having to stream to a server first?

I know Xsplit allows this functionality with a premium license, but I'd rather not use Xsplit, let alone pay for it.

ultrafem

micechal said:
Yes, OBS doesn't support RTMP yet. If you want to stream another stream on your stream (lol), you have to capture Smplayer in OBS. I know it isn't the best solution, but afaik it's the only one.

OBS doesn't support RTMP?? Then what is it doing?? Why do I have to connect to an RTMP server if it's not using RTMP??

Seriously, is there a way to set up a simple player on my own web site, to which I can stream live directly so my visitors can watch from their browsers, without having to use a third-party RTMP server as a passthrough? That's my biggest problem. I want more than anything else to lose that dependency.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
OBS doesn't support RTMP? Of course it does, its main purpose is to stream to sites running various RTMP servers.

Even XSplit uses a minimal Red5 installation for its "local" RTMP, setting up a Red5 server yourself would take almost as little effort for you to set up your own, if you already have a site that can handle the bandwidth of hosting a stream for multiple viewers.

ultrafem

micechal says it doesn't support RTMP, not me. The support staff at VimHost.com saw micechal's quote and pointed me to it, telling me I can't use OBS with their Wowza servers because "OBS doesn't support RTMP."

paibox

heros in an halfshel
Well, just because some misinformed person at some site I've never heard of before says OBS doesn't support RTMP, that doesn't mean it's true. Twitch.tv uses Wowza, and as you might already know, plenty of people stream to Twitch using OBS.

Edit: The people who made that site can't even spell "compatible". I would sooner trust an AIDS-infested demon midget to host anything for me.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
ultrafem said:
micechal says it doesn't support RTMP, not me. The support staff at VimHost.com saw micechal's quote and pointed me to it, telling me I can't use OBS with their Wowza servers because "OBS doesn't support RTMP."
OBS uses RTMP to transfer streaming video. micechal and the VimHost people are misinformed.

What OBS does not support built-in is "local streaming", or a built-in self-hosted RTMP server. You can host your own RTMP server for free with Red5, crtmpserver, or nginx with the RTMP module, or you can buy Wowza.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
dodgepong said:
You can host your own RTMP server for free with Red5, crtmpserver, or nginx with the RTMP module, or you can buy Wowza.
I wrote a guide on using nginx with RTMP here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2651

But with a lot of viewers, that use a LOT lot of bandwidth (A VPS would be better for this in that case, though your VPS might limit your bandwidth usage, too). That's a big reason why people use services like Twitch/JustinTV or Ustream.

ultrafem

You didn't answer my question. Nobody ever does. It's maddening.

Although I've never had any interest in installing any server software, I went ahead and installed Red5 on my Windows 7 desktop. It has ZERO helpful documentation and ZERO useful demos or instructions of any kind. Somehow, I'm supposed to just KNOW what to do. But of course I don't.

So. I have Red5, I have OBS, I have a JWplayer sitting on a web site to stream to.
Now what?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
How did I not answer your question? You are saying you don't want to use a third party site like Twitch/Ustream etc. So that means you have to use your own server. There's no other alternative. Either use your own server, hosted locally or on another computer in your own LAN or on a VPS, or use a third-party streaming site like Twitch/Ustream.

If you have Red5, then set OBS to stream to Red5, and then set JWplayer to receive from Red5. I don't know how to use Red5 or JWPlayer, so I can't give you specifics. You'll have to google around for it.

Bensam123

Yeah, streaming servers falls into a separate pay grade. As in there are actually people employed for administration of streaming servers and backend that makes everything work.

Twitch for instance uses Wowza as their backend. There really is no in between for consumers. I've looked at Red5 before and it definitely isn't for beginners. Their tutorials last for all of the introduction, they don't explain how to set it up or make it work properly. It's not user friendly stuff at all, unfortunately as some of this is very useful in the consumer sector for many different reasons (one is simply getting a broadcast across a lan).

Adobe Media Server has more helpful tutorials and documentation, but that has a couple extra zeros attached to the price tag.